Stat Observations

Remove this Banner Ad

1713782424824.png

• 50% of North's possessions from centre bounces resulted in turnovers to the opposition
  • North Melbourne scored 1 point, while Hawthorn scored 20 (3.2)
  • 18/20 points of Hawthorn's score from centre bounce first possessions was achieved in Q2 between 19:42 and 28:49
    • Between Q1,17:50 and Q2, 22:41 - North only managed to get the first touch from a centre bounce on 2/8 occasions

Dumping this here - a look at LDU's possesson highs/lows vs Hawthorn:
Here's something I was messing around with this evening. The dotted line tracks LDUs possessions over the course of the Hawks game in increments of 10%. "AvgInfl" stands for "Average Influence" - where I determine where LDU's possession count for that 10% compares to the rest of his game.

1713787975155.png

• LDU's major influence came between the 30-40% of the 3rd Quarter, where he was having 3x his average influence
  • LDU's lowest influence came between the Q1 80-100% and Q4, 50-80% where he was unable to gain a touch

What are Xerris hit out to advantage stats like?
Here's a bit of a different take - the next action taken after a hitout, split by teammates/opposition.
1713881606944.png

Below is Max Gawn for comparison, who many people consider the current in-form ruck in the competition:
1713881660303.png

The reason I wanted to do this is because there's been a lot of focus on here of Xerri's taps to the feet. As we see above, both Xerri's and Gawn's hitouts result in a similar breakdown of Ground Ball Gets (34% vs 33%). However an extra 10% of Xerri's hitouts result in an immediate tackle in comparison to Gawn.

Here's a bit of a different take - the next action taken after a hitout, split by teammates/opposition.
View attachment 1968738

Below is Max Gawn for comparison, who many people consider the current in-form ruck in the competition:
View attachment 1968739

The reason I wanted to do this is because there's been a lot of focus on here of Xerri's taps to the feet. As we see above, both Xerri's and Gawn's hitouts result in a similar breakdown of Ground Ball Gets (34% vs 33%). However an extra 10% of Xerri's hitouts result in an immediate tackle in comparison to Gawn.
Great graphs. Really interesting the way ground ball gets and possession break down break down similarly for both. I'm surprised by both how good both are at not hitting it directly to opposition but also how much the opposition dominate ground ball gets for both ruckmen.
To me this undermines some of the arguments we've seen on here criticising X either grabbing the ball or hitting it to his feet. These are clearly the best option when he can't tap it directly to a team mate.

Will Phillips vs Adelaide:
  1. T.Xerri to W.Phillips from a ballup at 11:54 of Q1
    • Result: A handball to Tucker who turns it over to M.Hinge
  2. T.Xerri receives a free in a ruck contest vs R.O’Brien and kicks to W.Phillips who marks the ball at 13:32 of Q1
    • Result: W.Phillips kicks to R.Hardeman, who kicks the ball. D.Stephens picks it up from the ground and fires off a handball, but it results in a stoppage.
  3. B.Drury kicks the ball but it’s spoiled by M.Michalanney, resulting in a ground pickup from W.Phillips at 15:03 of Q2
    • Result: W.Phillips handballs to T.Powell, who then handballs to Xerri – but he gives away a free kick shortly after
  4. A possession chain from B.Nyuon, H.Sheezel, D.Tucker, R.Harderman, B.Nyuon (again), and a kick from L.Davies-Uniacke results in an uncontested W.Phillips mark at 22:16 of Q2
    • Result: W.Phillips kicks to G.Wardlaw who marks and is able to set up a shot at goal for McKercher, but he misses for a behind
  5. T.Xerri receives a free from a centre bounce and handballs to W.Phillips at 28:48 of Q2
    • Result: W.Phillips handballs to D.Tucker, who immediately turns it over
  6. W.Phillips picks up the ball from the ground following a spoil from L.McDonald at 9:53 of Q3
    • Result: W.Phillips shoots a handball off but it is picked up off the ground by I.Rankine who distributes the ball to no success himself
  7. C.McKercher kicks in to W.Phillips who marks the ball at 12:45 of Q3
    • Result: W.Phillips handballs to R.Hardeman who handballs back to W.Phillips. Phillips kicks the ball but it is spoiled by J.Worrell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back