State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

So about that missed free to Zurhaar...

At 15.55 - 15.45 on the clock in the first quarter Cam gives away a free to McGovern (no 11) for high contact (after a kick out from Sheeze to Comben and a long kick from Taylor to our HFF.) McGovern actually raises his arm and pushes/shrugs Cam's tackle making it high. The actual incident is pretty close to 15.50.

Its almost exactly the same as the later free but Bull gets penalised this time. And then doesn't get the free late in the game. For something very similar.

There are two ways this should go.

1/ Both incidents get the same result - either a free or no free but both get treated consistently.

2/ What i think should have happened - the results for both were reversed. No free for McGovern cos to me it seems an obvious shrug and Cam gets his free for a blatant attempt to stretch his neck a little bit.

If someone (ie giantroo, Chadwiko or someone else with gif skills and a twitter account) wants to make a comparison gift and post it online that would be fantastic.

Port not too happy with Umpires atm
They should be delighted with them now after the diabolical decision to Marshall against Rampe in the last quarter. Easily one of the worst free kicks I’ve ever seen.

Out of all the * ups that the AFL has ever made, adding a fourth umpire would have to be close to the top of the list. They keep crapping on about how difficult the game is to umpire. So what do they do? Add an extra official to increase the overall level of incompetence.

It’s like adding an unnecessary moving part to a machine and then being surprised when everything breaks. Just classic stupidity from an organisation that’s turned stupidity into an art form.

Out of all the * ups that the AFL has ever made, adding a fourth umpire would have to be close to the top of the list.
They introduce more rules including rules where an umpire can pay a free based on what he thinks was a player's intent. They have umpires counting how many players are in place at centre bounces - honestly, number 37 on Friday was counting on his fingers and time and time again he was recounting as he was unsure if he'd double counted or missed somebody. The umps cannot judge distances. They can't tell half the time if they should pay holding the man or holding the ball. They allow throws but call illegal disposal when a player is tackled but legitimately attempts to dispose of the ball. They let players run with the ball across the boundary line at will, but pay free kicks for 50m bombs that bounce sideways after rolling end over end for 5 or 10 metres.

The state of umpiring is dire at the top level. I can't imagine how bad it is at lower levels although there are probably a few more football aware people umpiring at the lower grade matches compared to the marathon runners who are employed at top level under the premise that they need to be able to run all day, and how hard can it be to teach a few blokes the rules of footy!!!

I thought it would be good if they could entice a few ex-players to come over to umpiring if they didn't make it as players but I guess there's a different mindset and motivation. Players don't want to umpire and people who want to umpires are nuffies. So the AFL are forced to try to train elite endurance runners to officiate a sport they probably hated all of their lives and they have power over players who for the most part, the umpires consider to be sub-human Neanderthals.

They introduce more rules including rules where an umpire can pay a free based on what he thinks was a player's intent. They have umpires counting how many players are in place at centre bounces - honestly, number 37 on Friday was counting on his fingers and time and time again he was recounting as he was unsure if he'd double counted or missed somebody. The umps cannot judge distances. They can't tell half the time if they should pay holding the man or holding the ball. They allow throws but call illegal disposal when a player is tackled but legitimately attempts to dispose of the ball. They let players run with the ball across the boundary line at will, but pay free kicks for 50m bombs that bounce sideways after rolling end over end for 5 or 10 metres.

The state of umpiring is dire at the top level. I can't imagine how bad it is at lower levels although there are probably a few more football aware people umpiring at the lower grade matches compared to the marathon runners who are employed at top level under the premise that they need to be able to run all day, and how hard can it be to teach a few blokes the rules of footy!!!

I thought it would be good if they could entice a few ex-players to come over to umpiring if they didn't make it as players but I guess there's a different mindset and motivation. Players don't want to umpire and people who want to umpires are nuffies. So the AFL are forced to try to train elite endurance runners to officiate a sport they probably hated all of their lives and they have power over players who for the most part, the umpires consider to be sub-human Neanderthals.
Completely agree. The AFL seem to think they can train anyone to be an umpire as long as they can read a rule book and run, which is complete bullshit.

The best umpires are the ones who have a feel for the game and know when to let the play go and when to step in. The AFL should know this but instead they add an extra umpire to second guess everything, which then makes good officiating next to impossible.

Hopefully whoever takes over from Gil has a bit of common sense and goes back to three umpires, or even better two. Just let the players play and keep the frigging umpiring to the bare minimum instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great pickup here ferball - and the timestamping made this easy to put together.

Fukc just the way he says “thankyou thankyou” the condescending mother*er

It’s been said before but I’ll say it again, the only way we can beat the umpires and the AFL is by winning games. That actually means playing footy like we will not get a free kick awarded to us ever, the umpiring is part of the opposition. Adopt this attitude and we’ll stand a better chance of winning games. At least if we can all agree on this stance then we don’t need to bitch about umpires we will instead be occasionally commenting on the decision that went our way 😉

Completely agree. The AFL seem to think they can train anyone to be an umpire as long as they can read a rule book and run, which is complete bullshit.

The best umpires are the ones who have a feel for the game and know when to let the play go and when to step in. The AFL should know this but instead they add an extra umpire to second guess everything, which then makes good officiating next to impossible.

Hopefully whoever takes over from Gil has a bit of common sense and goes back to three umpires, or even better two. Just let the players play and keep the frigging umpiring to the bare minimum instead.
Hallelujah 👍

From where I was sitting, that bold headed umpire was especially biased against us. No he wasn’t just incompetent. He was actually giving them the advantage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That incompetent so n so - paid the bluws a free kick and was setting the mark where the incident occurred but other umpire paid it downfield - never had the balls to stand by his decision that it shouldn’t of been downfield.

Stevo run too far = missed attempt on goal/forward 50 stoppage
Jack 50m = Blues shot on goal
Cunners HTB = Blues shot on goal
Zurhaar high = missed shot on goal
Corr holding in goalsquare = Blues shot on goal

Throw in all the s**t frees paid to the blues/not paid to us in 50/50 contest on the wings that turn stoppages (our area of strength) into Blues f50 entries or turn our possession in attacking positions into stoppages.

I don't think it's a guaranteed victory if the umpires had been competent but it's a bloody close game and that's what was ruined especially in that 3rd term

Throw in all the s**t frees paid to the blues/not paid to us in 50/50 contest on the wings that turn stoppages (our area of strength) into Blues f50 entries or turn our possession in attacking positions into stoppages.

I don't think it's a guaranteed victory if the umpires had been competent but it's a bloody close game and that's what was ruined especially in that 3rd term
I remember having the conversation at half time, saying that we should see an even up of the officiating after not going our way in the 1st half.

Little was I to know that they would double down to ensure we were no longer in the contest.

If you can get me timestamps for each of these (and any others, because there were some other howlers/missed frees), I'm happy to do up a little compilation video.

If you can get me timestamps for each of these (and any others, because there were some other howlers/missed frees), I'm happy to do up a little compilation video.
Might have a squiz at the replay and take some notes. It definitely felt like HTB and chopping arms was officiated completely differently for the two teams.

Have the umpiring standards and training got worse due to the lack of umpiring availability? Are they forced to take shortcuts just to keep things running? I recall a few years back that even though it was part-time, umpires had to take tapes home and review what decisions they made as well as have a meeting with the boss. They would then go through what the umpire noted in conjunction with what the umpires association chief at the time thought they could improve on too. One on one meetings were common to understand keeping officiating interpretations consistent. Umps were worried if they would even get rostered on the next weekend regardless of performance. I wonder if that pressure to perform is still there?

I've got the vibe this has all been thrown out the window because clearly, they are not looking at anything properly. The standards are just so poor. I've been to footy for over 15 years and never seen it this bad.

I've always wondered what they thought was wrong with the rules around 2009-10. The umpiring seemed to be far more consistent with less interpretations to look out for.

Free kicks 20 for us 21 to them 😵 seemed way more at the match but how many of their free kicks resulted in goals? 4-5? None for us ☹️
The majority of our frees were in the back half whereas Carlton were given them inside the 50.

It wasn’t the quantity but the where and when.

We won contested ball and had more inside 50’s but hardly got a free in an attacking position.

I'm not of the view that umpires are intentionally biased against particular sides. I think they go out there with good intentions, they can just get swept up in the narrative at times. For example the narrative of 60,000 feral West Coast fans at Optus Stadium, the narrative of Curnow and McKay being dominant key forwards that North Melbourne don't have the size to match or simply the narrative that one team has all the momentum at a given point in the match. This is natural, but something they should work on being more conscious of at times.

The biggest problem with modern umpiring is that there are far too many free kicks. It's not the free kicks you don't pay that ruin a game, it's the ones that you do pay. There are hundreds of theoretical infringements every quarter and given that they don't actually pay the vast majority of them they should only pay the obvious ones. Picking out a random free kick that has gone unwhistled plenty of other times in the game only serves to frustrate fans and further slow down a sport that verges on boring at times in the modern day. The creep of non-controlling umpires paying a free kick when the controlling umpire has already let it go is a big contributor to this problem. Until recently this was rare and the non-controlling umpire only intervened when the controlling umpire had clearly not seen something, it's now completely normal for a simple disagreement in interpretation. This particular issue has of course been exacerbated this year by the addition of a fourth umpire.

Crows v Dockers. Umpiring just as bad.

Give me Glen James one up anyday. 4 isn't working, neither was 3.
4 were brought in to catch the stuff they get blindsided with, but they are still missing as much as they ever have.

All they have achieved is to bring in another interpretation to the game.

4 is an abomination of an idea. All we have now is another s**t decision maker, interpreting the action differently to the other 3.

It’s the old saying too many cooks spoil the broth.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back