Toast NMFC members voicing their displeasure at umpiring - great job members wing!

Remove this Banner Ad

My angry email to the club:

Please can someone tell me ?

I have a 30yr continous m'ship with the club and a Schimma Legends reserved seat, lvl.2 at Marvel, sec32. I have been sitting in this seat for home games for the last 22 years.

Can someone tell me " WHY " these seats were marked as " GENERAL ADMISSION " on Saturday afternoon and we were invaded by obnoxious Sydney supporters who we had to report to security at least 3 times during the game ?

I don't want the standard " it's a Marvel stadium " seating issue " please. I pay $700 a year for 7 home games. As you can see $100 a game. Now l can come to every home game and just pay $27 at the gate and sit on levels 1 or 3. But l choose not to.

It is not good enough. Do you believe if l go to a Richmond or Collingwood home game at the MCG l can saunter in and sit amongst their members ? I highly doubt it. North members do not " forward " or " on sell " their reserved seats to opposition supporters.

I truly am considering if l really want to renew this m'ship going forward. And believe me, l am not the only one.

An answer please. Thank you.
That infuriates me. I wrote a similar email last year about a group of obnoxious Melbourne walk ups who sat in the North section did nothing but cause flare ups. "Security" (aka some uni student in a hi vis vest watching bikini tiktok on his phone) were useless.

Come Monday, of all people the President replied, followed up with a call from the membership manager. They empathised, but did say it was a Marvel issue out of their hands. They sounded deflated by the whole deal our club gets as a tenant. Which is ****ed. Shake the tree Hoj.

Yep. But - and this is a theory I've had for a long time and not a fact - the better teams for some reason always get the better end of the stick with umpiring.

Something else I've observed from my own umpiring - booing and whinging makes things worse. They don't want to be seen to react to an angry crowd, so they instinctively hold the line. None of this is pre-planned - it just goes that way.
If you're s**t you get nothing...

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

That infuriates me. I wrote a similar email last year about a group of obnoxious Melbourne walk ups who sat in the North section did nothing but cause flare ups. "Security" (aka some uni student in a hi vis vest watching bikini tiktok on his phone) were useless.

Come Monday, of all people the President replied, followed up with a call from the membership manager. They empathised, but did say it was a Marvel issue out of their hands. They sounded deflated by the whole deal our club gets as a tenant. Which is ****ed. Shake the tree Hoj.
I just don't cop 'out of our hands'. Thats bull5hit.

I agree, but she’s clearly in the bottom 10.

The other bloke yesterday was far worse than her

She's been in the AFL system since 2015. She isn't good enough. She should be sacked.
Leigh Fisher has been around since 2013. He isn't good enough. He should be sacked.

Both were fast-tracked, both have had lots of chances, both have shown they aren't up to it. Why don't they find someone who is?

One of our penalties for not being a very good team, is that we get the not very good umpires.

Last year 27 umpires were getting a game every week with the bottom few basically being not up to it. This year those bottom few have 9 who were worse than them added on top. There are literally 15-18 umpires each week who are below standard and/or inexperienced.

Now, the AFL don't want that s**t stinking up their precious Friday nights, marquee games and prime-time slots so they get hidden on Saturday afternoons and Sunday twilights. So in the end, all of the worst umpires end up doing North Melbourne games every week. No wonder we're angry.

As I posted elsewhere before the game, last year as is the case every year, the AFL quietly announce who they think the best umpires are for the year by appointing them to the first week of finals. Last year that was 12 umpires (This year will be 16). With 4 umpires a game across 10 games, we've had 40 chances to get one of those. Of those 40, we've got 7. Collingwood have 23. Yesterday we had none. Today Collingwood/Carlton has all 4. I posted all this before the game yesterday so I knew the umpiring would be bad. We are literally getting the worst.

I don't believe in umpiring conspiracy theories. But I do know these facts. The individual umpires aren't out to get us - they actually aren't good enough to orchestrate that. They are just shithouse.

As for booing and throwing stuff on the field - I wasn't there yesterday as I was goal umpiring my own game at local level (my 500th game actually!) and haven't yet watched it so I don't really know much about it. I may have booed although I feel stupid every time I do that, and I certainly wouldn't have thrown.

But the AFL umpires, like North Melbourne, have too many potatoes on their list who have been there too long. Four umpires should never have been brought in until they rebuilt the list. They should also spread the quality around so that us, and the other bottom clubs get a decent go and so that the inexperienced guys can get some in-game mentoring and get better.
Congrats on game number 500. Fair effort.

Do you honestly think Sonja & Jen are the type of person who shirks responsibility?
What? Don't think they would even know the complaint happened. What I am saying is for whoever responded to say they can't do anything about is wrong. They can lobby Marvel, the AFL (who make the deals) and at least complain and the the members concerns forward. It is a dumb response. Would anything actually change? Probably not. But to just wash your hands is wrong.

What? Don't think they would even know the complaint happened. What I am saying is for whoever responded to say they can't do anything about is wrong. They can lobby Marvel, the AFL (who make the deals) and at least complain and the the members concerns forward. It is a dumb response. Would anything actually change? Probably not. But to just wash your hands is wrong.
Didn't the post say the President replied? Was this before Sonja's time?

If it results in Eleni & Fisher never umpiring one of our games again, worth it.

But who am I kidding. They'll probably be our umps every week now.
I bet you 2 of those 4 umpires that umpired us yesterday will be umpiring us again next week.
As iv send many times on Bigfooty the NMFC we are the most despised and hated sporting club in Australia plain and simple the amount of times the NMFC get put down time and time again by the AFL and yet this club takes it and continues to take it is that we as a club frighten to stand up and respond as if we continue to do nothing this won’t stop.
Time to stand up President Hood as the Head Leader of our club to make a statement you say your a passionate supporter of our club time to show it
You can do it President Hood you have stood up and beaten cancer and to that I congratulate you but now we have situation and that’s this club is plain and simple gets F:cked up the A:se time and time again.
It’s time the True Leader the President leads the charge and makes the statement or do you want to be like the past presidents of our club and do nothing and let it continue to happen.

And here comes the cavalry for the umpires.

Quisling.
What, no funny gif. Not very robust of you. I want robust conversations, you told me that’s what you do. To me this is just a personal attack.

Come on, robust conversations, not personal abuse.

Oh well, I’m sure you’ll get suspended again soon. You just can’t help yourself cause you have such an inferiority complex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpiring appointments go the very heart the of AFL ethos.

If your priority is ‘brand and revenue’ then you cherry pick umpires for specific time slots.

If your priority is an ‘equitable sporting competition’ then the umpires are appointed across all timeslots and locations on an equa basis.

We all know which option is reality, and it’s why our fans are rightly irate seeing our club’s sporting ambitions being cast aside as of secondary importance. The AFL has their priorities on every topic completely wrong.

Press bending over backwards with positive messages about us this morning. It’s like as if the whole North community (including Clarko and Sonja) went through our “Howard Beale” moment. It just felt like the AFL were prepared to sacrifice their most struggling citizen at the altar of political expedience. Now, they’re frantically trying to play catch-up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hey just a quick shout out to Teffy.

If you're going to block me on Twitter despite me never interacting with you on there (lol, snowflake) maybe don't then try and pass off the content in this thread as your own original thoughts;

Looking forward to the AFL saying in fact North had actually one hundred and seventy seven interchanges lol .Historically for us 75 is a good number 76 not so much we should have known. Wasn’t that Tom Morris banished from society wonder how he got back in?

That Eleni umpire was putrid. Swallows her whistle at the contest too scared to call holding the ball. *!
Amen - number 34? The ****** worst I have ever seen just about. Way too scared. She cost us 4-5 goals with the most blatant free kicks not paid. Understanding I'm biassed when watching North, I'll appeal stuff that's not there but these ones were beyond the pale.

But in all seriousness, we have copped some woeful umpiring this year. The Carlton game was beyond the pale and this was terrible.

And FYI - I thought North fans throwing Rubbish onto the field was one of the best things I've ever seen post game. Gave me shivers. If only we had more supporters they could have covered the ground in rubbish and the media would have to cover it haha

That game was atrociously officiated, and the members wing let the umpires know it all game.
It culminated in extreme displeasure being demonstrated at the final siren by members throwing rubbish on to the playing surface.
Remarkably, I think that is a positive thing. Hear me out;

For too long the standard of umpring has been in the toilet, and the entire sport is suffering because of it.
And as fans, we have no recourse other than yelling, boos, and voting with our wallet (that hurts our club before it hurts the league itself).

But today at the end of the game, in scenes I've not seen in modern footy, the members wing started throwing all their rubbish on to the playing surface. And it felt righteous and justified.

I'm proud of my fellow members tonight. No more meekly accepting the fisting we regularly get from the umpires. Tonight set a new standard of fan remonstration.
Hear hear Chad
It was justified, warranted and deserved.
I hope each one of Eleni, Leigh Fisher and Nick Brown see the reception they received, actually reflect on their officiating and give it away at years end.
Not unless they are all demoted to the state leagues where they belong.

It was pathetic.

Also well done to everyone for the well timed throws that missed me on Level 1. Much appreciated

I feel the pain, cant say I condone throwing stuff on the ground.
What is crystal clear is 4 Umpires has been nothing short of a disaster and the sooner we go back to three umpires the better.
Yes, agree. But as an old f@*t who has seen all umpiring systems I feel the game was best umpired by 2. I know there were reasons for moving to 3, like the speed of the game, etc. I remain unconvinced that 3 did the job any better or meant the game was a better spectacle... and as for 4...too many getting games who are not up to it. Talent spread too thinly.

By the way, lots of talk about 'rules are rules' in regard to the Interchange issue, and fair enough, we cop it sweet. But isn't the 6-6-6 also a rule. By chance I flicked over to a game not involving us a few weeks back and just before a centre resumption after a goal, the whistle went and I thought someone had entered the square. Apparently one of the teams had stuffed up the 6-6-6 according to the 'commentators.' The outcome was a warning/caution to the offending team and the 'commentators' were bemoaning that a caution is an option. Yes indeed, rules are rules! Perhaps a caution is also applicable to an interchange breach? Or maybe not.

Maybe others can shed light on this one in case I have missed something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back