Autopsy GWS d NMFC 121 - 82.

Remove this Banner Ad

That certainly makes me look a muppet. Mind you, often I manage that without any external assistance.

Still don't like his approach to the game given how good he could be, but he does know how to get to the right spots in those chains
Honestly this is a bit like the LDU thing. If PC is playing that defensive role is he still going to be able to do the offensive stuff on the forward line?

The game is really quick and moving in anticipation gives players the edge so while some players move to attacking spots others others should set up defensively.

I know there were also questions on his chasing but in the second half of last year I saw him chase players all the way inside the opposition forward 50. Its a bit harder when they move as fast as GWS players, who also move the ball faster than they run.

Honestly this is a bit like the LDU thing. If PC is playing that defensive role is he still going to be able to do the offensive stuff on the forward line?

The game is really quick and moving in anticipation gives players the edge so while some players move to attacking spots others others should set up defensively.

I know there were also questions on his chasing but in the second half of last year I saw him chase players all the way inside the opposition forward 50. Its a bit harder when they move as fast as GWS players, who also move the ball faster than they run.
I think this is all pretty spot on, probably more of an issue as we have Zurhaar, Curtis who are similar in this regard and CCJ is not really contributing much. That leaves us with an aggressive forward line that leaks a bit too much when we're not on top. You can see why they've been so keen to keep trying Hansen Jr. Can also see how Simpkin could help massively given he can push up into midfield but also is fit enough to clamp down defensively.

Yea I saw it in the second half of last year too, but it seems to have reverted back. I hope we can find the balance, because our lack of defensive application nearly made me weep

Nice to see ours is the only game the AFL app hasn't put up the player highlights for.

This happened several times last season it's a f***ing disgrace that they treat us like second class citizens.
When the team that beat us could have won by at least 30 goals if they were serious it stands to reason that we are no good.

Mate, no s**t. We had 4 players over 100 games and were around 2 years younger on average. Honestly what did you expect?
100%.

Can you imagine adding on 2 more preseasons to the players we put out on saturday.

More endurance, more strength, more time at the level.

People need to realise a talent injection alone isn’t going to have us magically become better.

They need time in the system, time with their teammates.

The pleasing aspect was that there were signs of trying to play a brand of footy that will have us competing when the list matures.

Patience people. I know we have had to endure some very shitty times, but now is not the time to get impatient.

Enjoy the ride and hopefully improvement, wins will still be scarce this year.

100%.

Can you imagine adding on 2 more preseasons to the players we put out on saturday.

More endurance, more strength, more time at the level.

People need to realise a talent injection alone isn’t going to have us magically become better.

They need time in the system, time with their teammates.

The pleasing aspect was that there were signs of trying to play a brand of footy that will have us competing when the list matures.

Patience people. I know we have had to endure some very shitty times, but now is not the time to get impatient.

Enjoy the ride and hopefully improvement, wins will still be scarce this year.
Adding those things to our players doesn’t occur in a vacuum though.

Other teams, with an already higher base, also get the opportunity to become bigger, faster, stronger, better.

It’s why ‘2-3 years off’ is irrelevant when others are already ahead at the same stage.

Adding those things to our players doesn’t occur in a vacuum though.

Other teams, with an already higher base, also get the opportunity to become bigger, faster, stronger, better.

It’s why ‘2-3 years off’ is irrelevant when others are already ahead at the same stage.
Development is not linear. Teams with a more mature list profile will only be able to make incremental gains because they are closer to their ceiling.

A young a developing list, developed properly should see larger gains over that same period.

That’s why people talk about that 25-28 year old player being in their prime. They should have come close to maxing out their physical potential with the incremental gains coming from game experience and knowledge.

Development curves aren’t a straight line. There will be peaks, dips and plateauing. A more experienced list should however be more consistent across their performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephenson. Weak as piss I’m not sure what Clarkson sees in this guy but will break a teams confidence with his lack of North Melbourne balls I reckon saw him 3 or 4 times not go when he needed to go one time was when we were 9 points down coming into half time. Drop!!!!

Please advise where these 3 or 4 tines occurred as I'd like to look at them on the replay as nothing stood out watching. He was one of very few putting pressure in our forward line.

Not sure about this expected score stuff. It had Collingwood beating GWS last week.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
It gives Math nerds with graphs a reason to get a chubby..

We are fitter and more talented, but we don't look like holding anyone to a reasonable score (except for WC). The needle hasn't moved yet. I suppose we will know more after next round. It's almost a must win if we want to improve this year.
I think it's a touch early in the year to assume we don't look like holding anyone but WC to a reasonable score after just playing the highest ranked team in our first game. I don't know that I'd say Fremantle is a must win but it sure as hell should be put firmly in the wins on the table category.

Not sure about this expected score stuff. It had Collingwood beating GWS last week.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

It's based on how easy a sides scoring shots are if I remember correctly.

It's not a predictor in terms of final score.

It's more a reflection of if sides over or under performed the AFL average from those scoring positions.

Given we were accurate, it's no surprise we outperformed our predicted score and GWS was a bit wasteful, hence, in terms of average AFL results from those scoring positions it could have been much worse.

GWS were kicking goals from their ass, the boundary line etc last week. Theoretically the game could have been different if they missed, it's all it's saying.

I think most of us could easily see how our game could have been a 10-12 goal loss with different circumstances. On the flip side if Ford doesn't kick the wrong side of the ball passing to Curtin running into an open goal and Duursma doesn't miss one 25m out directly in front, it could have been better.

'WHAT IS EXPECTED SCORE?

Every shot on goal is analysed, based on where on the ground it was taken and how much pressure the player was under.

The expected accuracy of the shot is determined based on the results from that location and pressure level over the last decade of AFL matches.

For example, a set shot from 30 metres out on a 45-degree angle has an expected accuracy of 50 per cent. So a team would be expected to score three points (reflecting the 50-50 chance of a goal).

If they kick the goal, their expected score would be 3, but their actual score would be 6.

If they kick a behind instead, their expected score would still be 3, with their actual score being 1.

Over the course of a game these incidents add up to create an expected score for the match.'

So if both sides had of kicked for goal in line with the AFL average GWS would have won by 70 points - and that sounds about right based on how the game played out.

So both coaches gave identical votes, except one gave the 3 to Buckley, the other to Xerri. I wonder which was which?
Considering Kingsley gave X praise in his press conference, I'd say he gave him the 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back