Roast I'm sick and tired of losing

Remove this Banner Ad

And why wouldn’t they?
I switched from Crows to North when I was 10 simply because I didn’t like the coach the Crows got. North were on after school every Friday night. It just happened.

Six years of the filth we’ve served up is a long time for us. It’s over half a lifetime for some of the kids out there. Couldn’t blame them for looking to a team that has a winning culture and possibility of success every year.

I think there's probably no doubt we've lost a ton of child supporters over the last 4 years. 12 wins out of 90 will do that. Let's hope we win them back as well as any others before they grow up too soon.

There's not doubt in my mind that as serviceable as Pink & Nyuon will hopefully be that the club see them as short term solutions. Logue returning from his ACL is one piece of the puzzle and there are a coupe more pieces that will be answered during trade and free agency later this year.

Can’t speak for Biggie but I know a lot of work went into Pink. Part of it I guess is just the hope the step up isn’t too steep. No doubt Logue will change that whole dynamic.

I think there's probably no doubt we've lost a ton of child supporters over the last 4 years. 12 wins out of 90 will do that. Let's hope we win them back as well as any others before they grow up too soon.

My kid is 5 so is just leaning into the footy as an interest now but even over the off season he threatened to be a Dogs fan (I threatened him in turn with exile). Goldy leaving hurt him too. Positive is he couldn’t come on Saturday because he had a party on and he sobbed at not being able to come with me. Beating Collingwood helped, he knew they were the champions. Just got to really push the little wins and big up the draftees. They’re desperate for a hero player.

My kid is 5 so is just leaning into the footy as an interest now but even over the off season he threatened to be a Dogs fan (I threatened him in turn with exile). Goldy leaving hurt him too. Positive is he couldn’t come on Saturday because he had a party on and he sobbed at not being able to come with me. Beating Collingwood helped, he knew they were the champions. Just got to really push the little wins and big up the draftees. They’re desperate for a hero player.
My mate took his 5yo on Saturday. He couldn't have cared less about the result. He got chips. He was happy with the day.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

My mate took his 5yo on Saturday. He couldn't have cared less about the result. He got chips. He was happy with the day.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
My 5yo is coming with me on Friday. She’s excited, knows it will be tough, wants north to kick some goals and she’s looking forward to some lollies.

Seems as good a thread as any to post idle and pessimistic thoughts. Who are our actual leaders who've stood up on the field thus far? If I quantify what 'standing up' means, I probably mark it down as communicating with teammates ('go over there and I'll take this bloke,' 'head up mate, you'll get it next time,' 'nice goal son,' 'next time take an extra second before executing the kick' etc.) running till you can't run no more, maintaining focus over all four quarters (not getting caught ball watching, being aware of surrounds when you have the ball), and getting involved in the play in ways that benefit the team.

Jy is talked up, and I rate him as skipper, but he missed a regulation shot that could've been the start of 'out of reach' territory rather than just 'pulling away.' Meh, at the current moment. It was only one game though, next game will be a great opportunity for him.

LMac just doesn't inspire confidence, in interviews or on-field. Thought he was ok, but as captain? Nah.

Scott runs and runs and provides and provides some more. Can be hit and miss with his kicks but you can rely on him to try his guts out. He knows how to get to the right spot and is savvy in his work. Tick.

Reckon it's pretty clear why LDU isn't in the leadership group. Gun, yes. Potential top 5 player in the comp, yes. Does he set an example regarding how his mates should play? No.

Larkey has been beaten twice in two games, doesn't really run at the contest, doesn't leap. The one thing he's elite at let him down at a crucial moment. Still enjoys moaning to the ump. 5, 6, 9 goals is not a sustainable run, yet it's the only reason he has an AA blazer. Needs to do more, but would obviously benefit from a second key forward who knows where to run. Not in front of his leading path, for starters.

Sheez has been off with his disposals, frankly. Obviously he sets a very high bar for himself but he had many games last year better than either of these two. Speaks well and is probably already the most capable leader back there at the age of 19. Should turn it around.

Corr, lol. Can't be an effective leader if you have a go at your teammates whilst simultaneously stinking it up. Nope.

So of those, the only one I give an emphatic pass to is Bailey, who also happens to be pretty quietly spoken. Sheez gets an unenthusiastic pass. I would hazard a guess that if these half dozen or so blokes can elevate themselves further than what they have so far, we'll automatically be better positioned to arrest opposition runs. It won't solve the entire problem by any stretch; that's something that has many factors to it, but it'll be a start.

Very sick of this type of thing being an Achilles heel

If we replicate that first half often enough, and convert it into 6 or 8 wins this year, that will go a long way.

The list profile while young has a better mix of talls and smalls - a step up on recent times
Sorry, I can’t buy this. We have 6 handy half forward flankers on our list, one decent key defender (who is months away from a return), 4 mini-sized midfielders and not one decent small forward.

Come on man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I can’t buy this. We have 6 handy half forward flankers on our list, one decent key defender (who is months away from a return), 4 mini-sized midfielders and not one decent small forward.

Come on man.

Is it better than the last couple of years? There is more flexibility on all lines.

We still have needs but we aren’t one injury from disaster atm.

Even this week, we have Chom and Biggie that could come into the backline - last year it was Bonar who was often injured.

Up forward we have Sellers and Greenwood that can come in.

We have more options then in recent times is what I meant

Harry Sheezel is bringing them back.

Duursma, Kerch & PC will all help too.
But, I’ve never had so many people talk to me about one of our players than I have with Sheez.
(Cunnington a bit when he had that purple patch before he got sick where he was dominant in the middle.)

My daughter is 5 & she loves when Harry pops up on screen.

Win games with likeable & exciting players & it will turn very quickly.

I know how hard it is. Trust me - being a near 30s Carlton supporter, I get it.

But as an outsider looking in, I can see it with North. I can see the success coming. You have the top end talent now. You have the coach. You have the culture. Keep the faith and you will get there. I don't see it with others near the bottom - Essendon, Richmond, West Coast, and even Hawthorn for example.

The last thing you want to be is Essendon. Winning 7-10 games a year, treading water. Going nowhere. Yes the H&A wins are nice - but making a statement in September is far more satisfying.

Keep the faith. It will be worth it.

I know how hard it is. Trust me - being a near 30s Carlton supporter, I get it.

But as an outsider looking in, I can see it with North. I can see the success coming. You have the top end talent now. You have the coach. You have the culture. Keep the faith and you will get there. I don't see it with others near the bottom - Essendon, Richmond, West Coast, and even Hawthorn for example.

The last thing you want to be is Essendon. Winning 7-10 games a year, treading water. Going nowhere. Yes the H&A wins are nice - but making a statement in September is far more satisfying.

Keep the faith. It will be worth it.

It's only Tuesday, we're still grumpy. That will be gone by 6 a.m. tomorrow morning, but more than likely be reinstated by Friday evening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back