Steer clear of Computers & Parts Land (CPL)

Remove this Banner Ad

MSY is brilliant, if you know what you want. If you're going to ask questions, then yeah, best to go elsewhere.
and if its in stock

I don't trust centrecom (1 guy) either when asking questions any more. When i was building my first pc i was going to get a 650w psu but the guy said that the one that came with my case (430w) would run it fine... 3 days later my gpu was dead. Also i was going to get ddr2 1066 to help overclocking but he talked me into 800 and i cant clock as much with that:(

Good because that would have been totally lame if that was it.

A COMPUTER geek who stabbed his colleague in a botched robbery then left her to die in a car boot has been sentenced to at least 14 years' jail.

I guess it's not racial profiling so it's OK.

A bla... I mean, a white guy did it!

saying she was with a white man by the sea and needed help.

MSY is brilliant, if you know what you want. If you're going to ask questions, then yeah, best to go elsewhere.

Problems with them.

1. Stock... barely have everything you want
2. lines (pascoe vale atleast) never been in there and been in the line for less than 30 minutes sometimes up to 3-4 hours in line on saturdays(haven't been in the last 3-4 years because of this. prefer to not waste my time)
3. when you get something and need to get it replaced in the DOA period. waiting in line.
4. their prices aren't that good... you'll be able to find other places that you get everything just as cheap, or 1-2 dollars more expensive.

and if its in stock

I don't trust centrecom (1 guy) either when asking questions any more. When i was building my first pc i was going to get a 650w psu but the guy said that the one that came with my case (430w) would run it fine... 3 days later my gpu was dead. Also i was going to get ddr2 1066 to help overclocking but he talked me into 800 and i cant clock as much with that

Well he probably didn't know what you're planning to do, i've ran tonnes of PC's on Case PSU's... but i wouldn't if i was overclocking. or with a very high powered GPU...

people expect everyone to know their exact requirements without telling them.. and then they get advice based on tiny bits of information.. oh yeah.. Centrecom Bundoora, the russian guy... i love him.. he's fantastic. lol

for instance. ddr2 800 is perfectly fine for MOST people... there's probably .1% of people iin the world that would need better than ddr2 800 ram (ignore ddr3 exists in this little example)

Problems with them.

1. Stock... barely have everything you want
2. lines (pascoe vale atleast) never been in there and been in the line for less than 30 minutes sometimes up to 3-4 hours in line on saturdays(haven't been in the last 3-4 years because of this. prefer to not waste my time)
3. when you get something and need to get it replaced in the DOA period. waiting in line.
4. their prices aren't that good... you'll be able to find other places that you get everything just as cheap, or 1-2 dollars more expensive.
Yeah i agree with everything you have said there, there are heaps of pc shops with low prices all competing so there is never much between them. I normally check the prices between centrecom, msy and pccasegear

Well he probably didn't know what you're planning to do, i've ran tonnes of PC's on Case PSU's... but i wouldn't if i was overclocking. or with a very high powered GPU...
Yeah but thats the the thing, he asked if i would be overclocking and i said I would (+ told him the specs of all my stuff) and he even something like the 430w psu could handle something like the 285gtx card which i would not been too keen on trying.

Anyways, at least it was a bit of a learning expereince and i know that for next time:thumbsu:

yeah.. Centrecom Bundoora, the russian guy... i love him.. he's fantastic. lol
I have not been served by him yet, next time i am there i will try line up in his line:)

Picked up my $2,500 rig from CPL the other day, pleased to say a few weeks in it is still working etc and the box construction appears pretty good (not outstanding - some cables were not tied away very neatly).

The customer service on pickup was pretty bad, laying down that type of moolah and I had to ask four times to four different people to boot it up to ckeck that it was running ok before collecting it. Also asked to open the printer box to make sure toner was inside and the request fell on deaf ears repeatedly (was dealing with a new person every few minutes).

I know you don't get great customer service from places like this, and overall I'm happy, but a little bit of manners would not go astray. All the people I spoke to outright pretended not to hear my requests.

All the cheapo shops have pretty bad service, ie. you have to wait for ages in the store after paying for an item, or they argue over a replacement/warranty claim.

That said, I've shopped at CPL Notting Hill, and West Melbourne over the years, and thankfully haven't had to return anything to them. The one thing I did need to return was to a shop called Empire IT (I think), which was located near CPL in Notting Hill (IIRC). Not sure if it is still there.

Personally, I would never get them to build a PC for me. I buy the parts and do it myself.

Garbage service. If you need computer parts, try some of the other places like pccase gear. I ordered some basic stuff a week ago, and they were supposed to deliver it in a day or two. Never happened. I am constantly calling them to find out the status, and am given the run around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scorptec yes

Centrecom not so much, they're knd of like MSY (from my experience) not always carrying parts you want but suggest alternatives that are not as good. Oh and watch what they build their pre built pc's with. I got a system from them in late 2010 - every part was decent but they skimped out on the power supply.......(cheap no name brand) and it blew up a year and a half later. Had I known this I would not have purchased it :p.

Custom built my new pc at Scorptec, has been pretty good over the last 4 years. It's only just becoming obsolete now - most game's system requirements have caught up, could always keep it going by upgrading the ram from 8 to 16 or 32gb........ and the video card which was a 560ti, to a 780 ti - but I might hold off one more year and get a whole new system again.

In the past I've wound up falling behind technology wise for 2-5 years. Get a new pc and catch up on the years of games that I had missed while playing current games as well. It worked out ok because whatever system I'd buy, would be "ahead" of where system requirements for games were at the time and would take several years for them to creep up.

This time is different as if I buy something new right now, it would be out of date within months.

I always buy my parts from MSY. Crap service but competitive pricing if you know what you want. Built a PC in 2012 with 32gb of ram. Still going strong. Only upgrade since then was a 500gb SSD as a new c:\

Mind you I dont play high end games on the PC so it might need a graphics bump up.

I always buy my parts from MSY. Crap service but competitive pricing if you know what you want. Built a PC in 2012 with 32gb of ram. Still going strong. Only upgrade since then was a 500gb SSD as a new c:\

Mind you I dont play high end games on the PC so it might need a graphics bump up.

If you know what you want AND it's in stock MSY are great. I got my 780 Ti from them 2 years ago.

Forgot to add my CPL experience in my post yesterday... no need as I already did this in 2009 on page 1. While I didn't have an issue back then, I knew of the bad customer service reputation they were starting to build up at the time. I have not been back there because I have been able to get what I need elsewhere (first Centrecom in 2010, then after my negative experience there I have shopped at Scorptec (built my current pc there in 2012, in the years since I have either ordered parts from Scorptec, PCCG, or MSY).

Yeah MSY is the cheapest I find these days and as long as you check the part is in stock at the store, pretty easy.

Local centrecom never has anything in stock that I'm after, don't bother going there anymore.

Msy attitude pissed me off....ie no customer service. Been happy getting my stuff from pc case gear

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

CPL Nottinghill are absolute Campaigners. Tried returning a part that was DOA and they didn't give a s**t and it took so much effort to get it done. I sent emails and called them and got ignored. I went in there and asked to speak to the manager once and the guy at the service desk said "he's not in today" but I knew he was lying because I saw his name badge and knew he was indeed the manager - grow a pair and talk to the angry customer you ******* wimp!

The likes of CPL are conveyor belt operations running on minimal overhead in order to provide cheap gear. You're accepting poor customer service in return for basement prices. Would've spent in excess of $20K there since 2003 but have rarely required any after-sales service.

PC Case Gear is slightly more expensive, but my experience with their customer service has been very positive.

The likes of CPL are conveyor belt operations running on minimal overhead in order to provide cheap gear. You're accepting poor customer service in return for basement prices
I had bought stuff from there for a few years before realising this. It's all good getting cheap gear but as soon as you have an issue, you're cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back