Stephanie Scott Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

You also make no allowance for reduced moral culpability due to mental illness, whcih is often a factor.

i hate that defense. surely anyone who murders someone has a loose wire somewhere. Seriel killers would have a mental illness, do we give them a reprieve of some sort? If you murder/kill someone, throw the book at them (unless self defense)

i hate that defense. surely anyone who murders someone has a loose wire somewhere. Seriel killers would have a mental illness, do we give them a reprieve of some sort? If you murder/kill someone, throw the book at them (unless self defense)

More of a mitigating factor than a defence, and it depends on the extent to which it reduces their moral culpability.

Paranoid schizophrenia, acquired brain injuries and psychosis are factors which pop up in a number of killings. As another example, dementia, and the associated loss of inhibition, is associated with some sex offences.

A person acting under the influence of such conditions may have substantially lower moral culpability than a person who commits a calculated act. Where such conditions play a part in the decision process which led to the act, they have to be relevant when considering the appropriate punishment.

It doesn't mean they walk free, it means that the sentence is adjusted accordingly - whether a lower term of imprisonment to reflect lower moral culpability, or a treatment order (which can involve being remanded in a facility for longer than the person would have spent in gaol.

To say he is sloppy would be an understatement. It is bizarre.. perhaps hes a little slow in the head?
If the accused is guilty, he could have been obsessed with her, decided to take a pic and keep a belonging of hers. Both of them worked at the same school and he would have noticed her as he worked, and on Easter Sunday when it was only him and her there, that would have been his chance to strike. Though, the photo and keys could indicate he was a budding serial killer in the making, as they usually take mementos of their kills in the form of photos and victim belongings. I say budding because if this is the case then he picked a bad time to strike; he was one of the only ones there so he should have known he'd have been a suspect from the very beginning.

I say budding because if this is the case then he picked a bad time to strike; he was one of the only ones there so he should have known he'd have been a suspect from the very beginning.

Guy must be an absolute dunce. Also got spotted chucking her laptop/bag of belongings into a dam or canal. Keeping a photo is next level stupidity.

So sad that this imbecile has ruined more lives than the total of his brain cell count.

My mum's a teacher, she often goes into school on weekends, holidays etc. to get things organised. She was going on her honeymoon, she went in to get things ready for the replacement teacher, not that strange.
how did the killer know she would be at the school specifically on that day?

surely he wasn't working on easter sunday in the middle of the holidays?

I'm a high school teacher and whenever we're on holidays, the cleaners are there for pretty much the whole two weeks just cleaning up the place.
Admittedly, being there on Easter Sunday is odd but not unsurprising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you take a photo of the body, and keep a set of keys belonging to the victim at your house?

If the accused is guilty fair chance they have stopped a serial killer in the making.
But if he kills again in prison then they haven't stopped a serial killer.

If the accused is guilty, he could have been obsessed with her, decided to take a pic and keep a belonging of hers. Both of them worked at the same school and he would have noticed her as he worked, and on Easter Sunday when it was only him and her there, that would have been his chance to strike. Though, the photo and keys could indicate he was a budding serial killer in the making, as they usually take mementos of their kills in the form of photos and victim belongings. I say budding because if this is the case then he picked a bad time to strike; he was one of the only ones there so he should have known he'd have been a suspect from the very beginning.

There's the timeless old saying..crooks are stupid.
This c*nt is no exception to the rule.

In fact he'll turn out to be one of the worst murderers in Aus history. The hommies pegged him and yet the deluded prick still wouldn't give up the body. That says a lot, hopefully life without parole.

There's the timeless old saying..crooks are stupid.
This c*nt is no exception to the rule.

In fact he'll turn out to be one of the worst murderers in Aus history. The hommies pegged him and yet the deluded prick still wouldn't give up the body. That says a lot, hopefully life without parole.
No lawyer, his name came out quick too, already a strange case.

And what superior alternative would you propose?

Should he represent himself if he doesn't have sufficient funds?

Should legal practitioners only do their job as professionals if their client meets certain moral standards?

I prefer public stoning.

That doesn't make much sense given that murder and manslaughter both fit within the definition of "physically killing someone". There's a substantial difference between the two and there are definitely times when the latter is more appropriate than the former.

You also make no allowance for reduced moral culpability due to mental illness, whcih is often a factor.

Removing the incentive for a plea means more trials. More trials means more distress for families of victims, more delays for the already overwhelmed system and, most importantly, more acquittals.

"Plea deals" are not made just for the sake of it. They're done on an assessment of the facts (which are invariably a lot more complex than you'll ever see in the media), the prospects of conviction and the interests of justice. A guaranteed conviction on a lesser charge is often a much better option than the gamble of a trial.

Knee-jerk changes to the system from people who don't understand how it works benefit nobody except politicians angling for cheap votes. We already have that in Victoria with the baseline sentencing regime which is regarded as an absolute joke by all sides, and will not last long.

My guess is that Donners is either a judge or a lawyer.

I'm guessing that he was a stalker obsessed with her.

Maybe he was some loser who had few friends. Maybe Stephanie, who sounds like a nice girl, said hello to him one time, and he took an act of politeness to be a show of affection, and in his deluded mind, this bottom-feeder thought he had a chance with her.

Also, think about the timing. It would be the last time she was to be at the school before she got married. Maybe this janitor thought this was his last chance at "love" with her, so he struck. She shot him down, and he killed her. Wouldn't be the first time something like this had happened.

I'm interested to hear what the motive is, and if I am within the ballpark.

Such a pathetic human being. Unfortunately with our legal system if given life he'll be out in 20-25 years. How could anyone even contemplate doing that to anyone, let alone a beautiful woman who had her whole life in front of her. Things like this is why we need stricter sentences when it comes to homicide.

Read an article today that brought me to tears. On the day she was meant to be getting married to her fiance, he sat alone in a nearby park and just cried.

How many more young and vibrant women have to be sacrificed before we as a nation wake up to the fact that we are in the midst of an epidemic?

Stoicism and a sky full of yellow balloons are not going to fix the problem, I'm afraid. Time to read the riot act.

How many more young and vibrant women have to be sacrificed before we as a nation wake up to the fact that we are in the midst of an epidemic?

Stoicism and a sky full of yellow balloons are not going to fix the problem, I'm afraid. Time to read the riot act.

An epidemic? You have got to be kidding me? This is not Sudan or Somalia, our statistics for violent crimes go down year after year, keep reading the mainstream media bud

I'm guessing that he was a stalker obsessed with her.

Maybe he was some loser who had few friends. Maybe Stephanie, who sounds like a nice girl, said hello to him one time, and he took an act of politeness to be a show of affection, and in his deluded mind, this bottom-feeder thought he had a chance with her.

Also, think about the timing. It would be the last time she was to be at the school before she got married. Maybe this janitor thought this was his last chance at "love" with her, so he struck. She shot him down, and he killed her. Wouldn't be the first time something like this had happened.

I'm interested to hear what the motive is, and if I am within the ballpark.

Spot on. He no doubt calls himself a nice guy and was wearing a fedora when he did the deed

An epidemic? You have got to be kidding me? This is not Sudan or Somalia, our statistics for violent crimes go down year after year, keep reading the mainstream media bud
It's hilarious isn't it? We live in one of the safest places in the world in one of the safest times in history. But these idiots who couldn't think for themselves if their life depended on it get all caught up with the media hype and then grab their torches and pitchforks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back