Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking ahead, the next trade/draft period will be laden with scrutiny. I would suggest that whomever is driving the phones will be compared to “how SOS would have done it” and will be on a bit of a hiding to nothing. Only redemption will be nailing a big fish to value add to the list. Watch this space.
This, of course, disregards the daily operations of list management that we never get to see, in particular leading the scouting effort given we have an almost full draft hand in 2020 already.
Good luck, ????

SOS strikes me as a "builder", and not a "maintenance man". So it does not surprise me that he was planning to go anyway. That he is aggrieved by some internal machinations is disappointing but not anywhere near the end of the world, or even puts all that he put together in question. He made some real clangers but in retrospect those players were only ever bit parts of a grander plan. The Sumners, Palmers, Garlett's were only warming seats and to be used when really only necessary (or never in the Palmer case), so they didn't stay but were inevitably replaced by a younger cohort. SOS's job is done, now it's up to Teagie to see it through.

Disagree Ginger.
If SOS is the best man for the job I couldn’t care less if he’s compromised by having a couple of sons at the club.
Big deal. He’s not involved in their contract status anyway.
I also keep hearing this phrase “he’s done his job” and I just don’t get it.
We’ve finished in the bottom four how many years now?
Granted, he has (what we think) set up a great young list but you need a guy like SOS to get deals done in trade period as well. Look at Richmond last year with Lynch. Successful clubs don’t let go of important people just because they’re at the top.

It’s just infuriates me this situation. Look at how well Gale & Balme seem to work at Punt Rd together. That’s the synergy you need not this ego clashing for power we currently have.

Liddle needs to get down from that top office of his at Ikon Park and give the supporters a fair explanation as to what’s gone on.

As supporters we should have every right to be filthy. In my opinion this is akin to Sam Walsh, Charlie Curnow or Jacob Weitering wanting out of the club. That’s the impact this departure will have.
This is what im concerned about. We are not there yet and our future success is not set in stone. We need sos there to see it through

Mate I have newborn baby brain at the moment. Any chance you can help me out here.

A scorpion, which cannot swim, asks a frog to carry it across a river on its back. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung by the scorpion, but the scorpion argues that if it did that, they would both drown. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I couldn't help it. It's in my nature."

Liddle isn’t the frog...

A scorpion, which cannot swim, asks a frog to carry it across a river on its back. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung by the scorpion, but the scorpion argues that if it did that, they would both drown. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I couldn't help it. It's in my nature."

Liddle isn’t the frog...
Thanks OR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the board may have made a huge mistake by siding with Liddle over SOS.

Any membership gains Liddle had hoped to make by bringing in Eddie will be offset by what they will loose with SOS departing in acrimonious circumstances.

To my way of thinking Liddle is now well and truly on notice.
How many of our members have purchased their membership because SOS held a position in the Football Department?

Surely our members purchase their membership to support the club, in particular the 22 who run out onto the field representing the Navy Blue & White jumper, the most important symbol of our club.

I don't know what is more ridiculous, the tantrums from some on here, or the nuff nuffs on Facebook who have started a petition to reinstate SOS.

Our club is 155 years old & many favorite sons have come & gone in that time, a number of them in less than ideal circumstances. The club will continue to function with or without SOS, as it has done when other favorite sons have been moved on in the past.

#OwnTheFuture
#BoundByBlue

Liddle isn’t the frog...
Haven't come across that one before. Plenty of other animal pairings negotiating that river crossing with always one part of the equation getting ****ed but not that one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Current players? I'd understand if past players would since he's sacked like 60 people in 4 years. ******* brutal.
It'd be past players as well. Remember it was SOS & Braddles that came forward with information that stitched us up regarding the salary cap investigation..Along with O'Reilly.

I think that is part of the reason SOS has been so invested in trying to "repay" the club and help rebuild it. Along with his sons being there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It'd be past players as well. Remember it was SOS & Braddles that came forward with information that stitched us up regarding the salary cap investigation..Along with O'Reilly.

I think that is part of the reason SOS has been so invested in trying to "repay" the club and help rebuild it. Along with his sons being there.

Oh please, he did the right thing and has no need to "repay" the club.

Well what has Liddle done from what I can tell, he has used some contacts from a old job to help us get a player which would of fitted into our best 22 without SOSs permission. And he also pushed, along with the coach to bring Eddie back to the club.

I'm of the belief that SOS maybe a bit precious
You're wrong.

Liddle was pushing his own agenda, protecting his position by doing everything in his power to boost membership numbers. That's his No.1 goal IMHO.

Almost reached the 'I just don't give a damn anymore ' stage and just hanging out for Pre-Season to start.

SOS has/will leave the club's playing list in far better shape than he did when he arrived, ditto Liddle with our membership numbers and sponsors/corporate bottom line etc.

Without being part of the inner sanctum, I have no idea (really), who is more in the wrong here, suffice to say I am grateful to what both men have bought to the Carlton Football Club in their current roles.

End of the day, SOS leaving is not the end of the world,not great, but in my opinion, panicking or starting silly petitions online achieves nothing but more fuel for the media vultures to feed on, and makes us look like nuffies.

We just have to have faith (naive it may be) that the board can sort his replacement poste haste, and keep the political fall out from this to a minimum.

How many of our members have purchased their membership because SOS held a position in the Football Department?

Surely our members purchase their membership to support the club, in particular the 22 who run out onto the field representing the Navy Blue & White jumper, the most important symbol of our club.

I don't know what is more ridiculous, the tantrums from some on here, or the nuff nuffs on Facebook who have started a petition to reinstate SOS.

Our club is 155 years old & many favorite sons have come & gone in that time, a number of them in less than ideal circumstances. The club will continue to function with or without SOS, as it has done when other favorite sons have been moved on in the past.

#OwnTheFuture
#BoundByBlue

I don't think anyone is suggesting that carlton is going to fold because SOS has decided to not accept a non list management role and leave. We all now know that the CEO is the real list manager and that the Club is therefore in very good handsas far as list management goes- his sons dont play for the CLub so he has no conflict of interest - it is all good in Liddleton.

An offer to remain at the club....yeah right.
So that's the spin we're employing? It must be SOS's fault for not accepting then. That's it!

Liddle knows what he's doing and why. It's just that we're not quite sure yet.
Not quite convinced on Liddle.
This doesn't happen often to good, solid, successful clubs.
When was the last time internal fights like this happened at Hawthorn or Geelong......
I hope I am wrong.....

This whole situation is an absolute disgrace. We are losing one of the best list managers in the game - and the person responsible remains.

This does not sit well with me at all. What a terrible mistake you are making CFC. Absolutely farcical this has been allowed to happen.

The clear PR spin over Curnow’s ‘falling up the stairs’ knee injury may have pulled the wool over most people’s eyes but no PR spin is going to do that this time around.

Hope the supporters make their voice heard - big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back