Stkilda's needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think they need much but Ben McKinley might be worth chasing if they can get him at a decent price.

I don't think they really need Lovett but they could do with Mcphee from Essendon. Plus he complete's the set of blond look alikes.

Ryan O'Keefe if he still wants to move to melbourne could be another target though surely they'd struggle to fit him in the salary cap.

Mark Williams for Hawthorn might be worth a shout.

Maybe Corey Jones from North but iagain I wouldn't pay much.

Maybe Corey Jones from North but iagain I wouldn't pay much.
He's the one I was thinking of. A marking 3rd tall, who's ok at ground level. I'm sure that North would trade him for next to nothing in order to get him off their list, unless Brad Scott has a high opinion of him.

This is the reason in which we dont pay attention to newbies. No one in their right mind would want mcmahon, mclean has been traded to cartlon for pick 11. Milne has been one of the best small forwards all year, and he had a bad patch yesterday where he should have picked a few goals. He loves stkilda more than any player on the team.

AND FARREN RAY OUT....WTF?

McMahon would be alright in a good side. A star no, but not hopeless.

McLean - a lot can happen between now and trade day. No deal has been done yet expert. Many trades can go sour, that is why they say 'agreed in principal'

Essendon fans talking up Lovett is hilarious.
They guy can play but clearly has attitude and off filed issues.
If he was that good he would not have been shoppped last year and this year.

Lovett, for draft picks only.
But I think that character has a lot to do with it, I'm talking about on field character, how one goes about it, and I feel that Lyon and SOS would have to be convinced of this fact.

Also Armo is not on the table.

Saints don't need any more outsiders. They have a young talented list of which some will step up next year (Geary, McEvoy, Armitage, Eddy, etc) , and Dempster with a good pre season will make a big difference!

Side note: Bomber Thompson was mad keen on Lovett last year but couldn't get the trade done.........maybe this year??

The Cats didint get Lovett last year because of the salary cap (which is why we got Prismall for #39)... there is no way the Cats will have room for him this year, especially since Bomber has come out and said that the Cats will have to trade fringe players to free up the cap.

Y was charlie gardner delisted

Because he was crap.

FWIW I like the idea of Lovett, his extreme pace is something that we really lack & Ross could help him develop the defensive side of his game to the point he is a complete player. If Essendon is happy with a 2nd round pick then lock that it!

The 3rd marking fwd is a crucial one... Everitt has been linked with St Kilda & he could be the defender that frees up Gilbert or Sam Fisher to be that foil for Roo & Kosi.

I think people are looking for scapegoats & Milne, Raph & Schneider are the unfortunate ones that are being hung drawn & quartered. I've always that that Raph's best footy is played further up the ground (wing or half forward), Schneider was 2 goals away from winning a Norm Smith. His finishing was terrible but the rest of his game was great. Milney had a shocker, no dispute & really has a huge gorilla on his back in terms of performing in big games.

Nathan Brown would be a huge mistake IMO... Jack Steven and David Armitage are the youngsters that have to be given significant games in 2010. Both have huge talent & could be outstanding small forward/mids that have excellent defensive skills.

I think Burgoyne and Lovett are probably out of the question due to salary cap issues though. Both are looking for their career defining pay day & I'm not sure that St Kilda has the room to throw $500k at either of them (without trading out someone on big dollars that we don't want to lose).

Tom Lynch is the young marking forward that should see some time next season too.

I'm sure Ross will be aggressive in trade week and then load up on some speculative picks late in the draft and rookie draft.

I think not recruiting Cousins had a lot to do with the internal improvement in so many players. Ross put the heat back on Dal, Joey & numerous others to find the self improvement & not just think recruiting one bloke will make the difference. It almost did.

Browny is gone unfortunately. At his best pre-injury he would be exactly what we need. He's not that player anymore.

If Fev is on the market... he's the one.

I think not recruiting Cousins had a lot to do with the internal improvement in so many players. Ross put the heat back on Dal, Joey & numerous others to find the self improvement & not just think recruiting one bloke will make the difference. It almost did.
Close - but I'd credit the improvement on the retirement of Rob Harvey. Harvey was a great player and they all knew it, his retirement forced the next generation (Dal Santo, Hayes etc) to step up and take responsibility for themselves - they couldn't rely on the old master to do all the work for them.

Chappy won the Norm Smith because he did what Milne/Schneider couldn't. If you can draft Nathan G. Brown I'd do it. Who would be your competition? I don't see any sides fitting him in.

I think Geary or Eddy can fix the Raph Clarke problem. I was very suprised Clarke held his spot through September, I wasn't suprised when Max Rooke smashed him into the turf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ARMITAGE NOT ON THE TABLE TO TRADE AT ALL!!
Mark Williams, Nathan Brown, Russell Robertson NOT Brad Fisher
R. Clarke NO GOOD!
X.Clarke could take his spot on the HBF
Geary, Armo, Steven, Lynch, Macca and Stanley all to see alot of Game Time next year
Cant see us getting Lovett or Burgoyne

Can't forget about Rhys Stanley either. Athletic freak. Also have 208cm Blake McGrath coming off a NSW Scholarship. We're pretty set with rucks.

I reckon that Lovett would be perfect - the pacy game breaking mid that you don't have. I would keep Schneider but look to move Milne on. He would be mentally scarred after his finals series. Doesn't seem to have the zip he used to have either.

They also need to give Ball more game time. For him to play less than 50% on Saturday is ridiculous.

I would like to see this line up in round one next year :

B - Baker...Dawson...Blake
HB - Ray...Fisher...Gilbert
C - Montagna...Dal Santo...Ball
HF - Goddard...Riewoldt...X.Clarke
F - Milne...Koschitzke...Schneider
R - Gardiner...Hayes...Jones
I - McEvoy...R.Clarke...Gram...Armitage
EMG - McQualter...Dempster...Geary

Milne and Schneider are more than capable in the pockets. Milne had a bad game. So what? Stevie J was terrible and I doubt people at Geelong would be calling for his head if they lost. Let's not forget that Milne averages 2 goals a game and kicked 11 once.

McQaulter and Dempster are unlucky to miss but I feel like we are just too negative with them in the team. They are great stoppers but don't seem to have any attacking flair at all. If X can get his body right then he could be our Paul Chapman. I'd also play Goddard forward alot more. He could be a beast across half forward or even one out in the square. He has the marking power, play reading, booming kick and aggression required of a HFF.

Raph was poor on GF day but like I said about Milne; he shouldn't be crucified for it. Where was the talk from Fisher when Rooke came running? I think that if he took Goddard's role through the middle he could be very valuable in freeing BJ to go forward.

Armo is a goal kicking mid and can help out Hayes and Ball in the middle. I realise Ball wasn't 100% so hopefully this can lighten the load for him.

McEvoy was our most consistant ruckman this year. He was terrific. I'd play him in every game (form and fitness willing) and have Gardiner or King (who ever is in the best form/fitness) in the team with him. He can also push forward. Rotating him and Kosi in the ruck for short spells could be handy in getting both guys into the game when needed.

This is all assuming we don't trade for someone.

I wouldn't like Brown or Staker. Charlie Gardiner was a "viable option" for us and he stank.

Lovett I would seriously consider. He would help with the midfield rotations and let us play Goddard and the Clarkes forward more.

McMahon is the interesting one. Pre season Lyon was playing Gilbert as a third tall forward but Hudghton's injury forced him to go down back where he starred as a rebounding defender. McMahon might be looked at so that Gilbert could play up forward next season. I don't like it myself but I can understand the team at least looking at it if he came cheap.

The progress of Steven, Lynch, Heyne, Stanley and Tungatalum ;) is also vital. We had a brilliant run with injury this year and while I credit it to management by Dave Misson (the man responsible for Sydney's players never getting hurt) you just never know when something freaky may happen.

I also wanted to make not of Matt Maguire. The guy should be in our best 22. In a perfect world he would be in, Raph would be out and Gilbert would be playing midfield while Goose handles the backline. I hope that he gets his body 100%. People think he was left out but he was coming back from a broken leg. He needed to get fitness and form back into his body. Remember how miraculuos it was when Brown came back? He was never the same.

There is also talk of us trading pick 16 for Everitt. I would LOVE this. As long as he is 100% for the team and can play defensive footy I have no problem taking him. Lyon has a great record with turning average players into very good ones and I love to see what he could do with a player who is already very good.

IMO the Saints need a mid size forward, they either have talls or short people and nothing in between like a Steve Johnson type of player

i agree with you completely apart from mcqualter je has to play he is the general of our foward line a leader that chases tackles and kicks 1-2 goals, huge leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back