Strategy Stories from Recruiters

Remove this Banner Ad

We can agree to disagree. I'll back my judgement :thumbsu:

He seriously lacks acceleration and was very ineffective in contests. An receiving accumulator rather than a bull winner. He's a very good prospect but I expect him to slide out of the top eight in the draft throughout the season.
Interesting. Fair enough though, I can’t see him sliding past 5 tbh. Have you seen his contest possession %?

A player who I rate as explosive, who has dominated in just about every level he’s played in, is hard to over look.

He seriously lacks acceleration and was very ineffective in contests. An receiving accumulator rather than a bull winner. He's a very good prospect but I expect him to slide out of the top eight in the draft throughout the season.

The kid hasn't played since completing one of the more impressive 17y.o seasons of recent years. His tape from last year had serious wow factor, though the follow up is harder for him this year agreed.

The kid hasn't played since completing one of the more impressive 17y.o seasons of recent years. His tape from last year had serious wow factor, though the follow up is harder for him this year agreed.

When you also factor in Rankine's frame and body type, this all sounds very dangerously like Jimmy Toumpas.

I believe Rankine did alright in his underage year. I'd take Rankine ahead of Patrick Naish or Lachie O'Brien ever day of the week. One of those players was a Cal Twomey favourite, and the other a top 10 pick (just) in last years draft.
If Rankine and Lukosius were eligible last year they might have gone 1 and 2.

Don’t see it personally. Toumpas was very outside. Rankine shows pretty good ability to find the ball himself.

Toumpas was very outside when playing in a good senior side at SANFL level, and he didn't need to be anything more. Against kids his age, he performed similarly to Rankine IIRC.

IDK, I'm just a bit weary of star juniors from the SANFL. For whatever reason, there hasn't been a very good recent track record of them translating into quality AFL players, and they often seem to come with injury concerns, or are just a bit fragile physically and mentally in general.

Last edited:
Toumpas was very outside when playing in a good senior side at SANFL level, and he didn't need to be anything more. Against kids his age, he performed similarly to Rankine IIRC.

IDK, I'm just a bit weary of star juniors from the SANFL. For whatever reason, there hasn't been a very good recent track record of them translating into quality AFL players, and they often seem to come with injury concerns, or are just a bit fragile physically and mentally in general.
Toumpas, Cale Morton, Kane Lucas and James Aish all players with contested possession numbers below 30% in juniors. Champion Data believe that’s a key indicator.

I’d say Rankine will be fine. Top 5 pick for sure.

If Rankine and Lukosius were eligible last year they might have gone 1 and 2.

Going by what I read that the Top Picks in last years Draft might not even be top 10 in this Years Draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going by what I read that the Top Picks in last years Draft might not even be top 10 in this Years Draft

We'll have some time to wait yet, but to think that next years top ten will all ultimately be better than last years top ten..........is at very, very long odds.

If I had to put a bet on it, I'd say it may well end up at round 50/50 with players Rayner, Dow, Naughton and Coffield/Clark all in that conversation of the best 10 from the two drafts and especially so against the current touted top ten, for this year.

We'll have some time to wait yet, but to think that next years top ten will all ultimately be better than last years top ten..........is at very, very long odds.

If I had to put a bet on it, I'd say it may well end up at round 50/50 with players Rayner, Dow, Naughton and Coffield/Clark all in that conversation of the best 10 from the two drafts and especially so against the current touted top ten, for this year.
Coffield/Clark? What the...

Not really a recruiter story but a draft one, I have always thought there was cloke & dagger on who was getting taken - however have 2 examples of players knowing well in advance.

In 2007, a day before the draft Rhys Palmer got a phone call (he was in line at Myers) and said to his mate 100% I'm definitely staying - off to Fremantle.

The thought at the time was he may be taken at anywhere 3-7 (Freo had the 7th pick). My mate (who was behind him) told me this on the day before the draft.

I also got told about Sheppard in 2009, that WC were 100% taking him (again at 7) .....I used this in a thread on Bay 13 ahead of the draft based on that Jetta was in the mix.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mythbusters-wc-indigenous.655083/ just to wind up the WC fans about their lack of indigenous talent which was a sore point at the time. It was perfect as Jetta was a likely pick and I was just priming the joke the whole way (yes not very subtle).

Actually not sure if I'm allowed to link Bay threads to other Boards? Thread was locked anyway so apologies if I shouldn't have done it.

Back to the point ...I understand you may know who is going 1 or 2 but in these 2 cases it was pick 7 and the clubs in each instance appeared to be pretty darn sure who was going to be there and who they were going to take. It may be more professional/cut throat these days.

Last edited:
Not really a recruiter story but a draft one, I have always thought there was cloke & dagger on who was getting taken - however have 2 examples of players knowing well in advance.

In 2007, a day before the draft Rhys Palmer got a phone call (he was in line at Myers) and said to his mate 100% I'm definitely staying - off to Fremantle.

The thought at the time was he may be taken at anywhere 3-7 (Freo had the 7th pick). My mate (who was behind him) told me this on the day before the draft.

I also got told about Sheppard in 2009, that WC were 100% taking him (again at 7) .....I used this in a thread on Bay 13 ahead of the draft based on that Jetta was in the mix.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mythbusters-wc-indigenous.655083/ just to wind up the WC fans about their lack of indigenous talent which was a sore point at the time. It was perfect as Jetta was the likely pick and I was just priming the joke the whole way (yes not very subtle).

Actually not sure if I'm allowed to link Bay threads to other Boards? Thread was locked anyway so apologies if I shouldn't have done it.

Back to the point ...I understand you may know who is going 1 or 2 but in these 2 cases it was pick 7 and the clubs in each instance appeared to be pretty darn sure who was going to be there and who they were going to take. It may be more professional/cut throat these days.

Far from unusual.
Knew Carlton were taking Menzel at 12, along with several others over the years.

That makes a lot of sense about Sheppard going to WC Moo - we’d said after the draft we’d settled on him a long time before the draft and Jetta and Lucas weren’t really in the frame, despite every “expert” recruiter linking us to Jetta in all the phantom drafts in the media. I would be surprised if Brad wasn’t told that prior.

There seems to be a strong bolter moving into the top few in recent drafts- (McGrath/Oliver/Brayshaw as an example) but I seem to recall the top 6-7 names being pretty stable in the drafts between 2005-2010 and it was a matter of what order rather than the players being selected. Teams I think had a much better handle on who was into who.

Sean Lemmens mum cried while practically begging the Port Adelaide recruiters to select him in 2013.

Don't know his family situation all that well, but footy wise it's definitely been a better for him to have gone to the Suns. We haven't been short of guys in that exact same kind of attacking half back mould so has probably developed a lot further through AFL exposure than he otherwise would have done.

In the 1960s, Footscray 1954 premiership player, Roger Duffy, was coaching in the ACT. He rang Ted Whitten and told him about a young player he thought Whitten should sign. Duffy put the kid on a train to Melbourne with Footscray officials waiting to pick him up.

When the train got to Spencer St, the player got off and immediately was met two guys who introduced themselves as being 'from the club'. The club officials ushered him into a car and took him to the ground - Princes Park.

And that's how Alex Jesaulenko ended up at Carlton.

In the 1960s, Footscray 1954 premiership player, Roger Duffy, was coaching in the ACT. He rang Ted Whitten and told him about a young player he thought Whitten should sign. Duffy put the kid on a train to Melbourne with Footscray officials waiting to pick him up.

When the train got to Spencer St, the player got off and immediately was met two guys who introduced themselves as being 'from the club'. The club officials ushered him into a car and took him to the ground - Princes Park.

That’s an amazing story if accurate. Not for the doggies though.

How did Carlton find that out?

I don’t believe this. North Melbourne was the club who first signed Jezza for a limited number of games while he was still playing in the ACT. Carlton had had their eye on him for a while and went up there, convincing the Jesaulenko family that Carlton was the better choice. They then successfully challenged the North agreement at the Australian National Football Council. Imagine that, Blighty and Jezza in the same team.

He played in 4 premierships, bet you he was happy that it was Carlton that picked him up at the station.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back