Has there ever been a first yr player score a single digit number
( start up clubs excluded )
Off the top of my head Brayshaw, Logue, Cerra and Haselby all did

Windy Don

Draftee
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Any knowledge of players returning to their original club and getting the same number they had when they were previously there?

This season was obviously Eddie Betts, but has it happened in the past?

Chris Heffernan
26 at Essendon (1997-2002)
1 at Melbourne (2003-2005)
26 at Essendon (2006-2007)

Derby103

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2006
Macclesfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any knowledge of players returning to their original club and getting the same number they had when they were previously there?

Snake wore 29 at North from 1971 to 1975, 29 at Geelong in 1975, then 29 at North again from 1977 to 1979.

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa

Peter Bell at Freo, 1995 wore #32
Peter Bell at North, 96-00 wore #26
Back to Freo he got #32 from 01-08

You could argue Heath Black was the same. Started at Freo in #21 then went to #7 before leaving for St Kilda.

Came back to Freo and had #21 to finish off.

zepender

Debutant
May 22, 2019
Ladder Purgatory
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bumping this thread after thinking about Jarryd Blair's position. He's just won a premiership in a fairly undesirable number, and a few decent numbers are becoming available including some worn by some highly regarded teammates (eg O'Bree and Lockyer). The lure of a change must be pretty strong.

It got me thinking - who was the last premiership player to change his number?

Liam Baker the most recent one this year - 48 -> 7

zepender

Debutant
May 22, 2019
Ladder Purgatory
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'll be interested to see with the midseason top-off drafts if we start getting 50+ numbers again (Marlion Pickett got 50, for example - John Noble at Collingwood had 49).

Bumping this to ask a question I asked on the main board:

Bradley Hill and Blake Acres not only swapped teams in a trade, they’ve also swapped jumper numbers. Hill got Acres’ number 8 at St Kilda and Acres is in Hill’s 9 at Freo.

Has that happened previously? I’m sure it must have, but nothing is coming to mind.

A three-way swap looking very likely this year. Nathan Kreuger took Max Lynch's 15 at Collingwood, Jon Ceglar took Kreuger's 15 at Geelong, and while Lynch's jumper at Hawthorn is yet to be announced, Ceglar's 18 looks like the best chance.

Back