Stringer; is he performing to the expectations of the media and public ?

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah absolutely, but that's where Stringer needs to get to reach full potential, think he can do it if he works hard enough but he probably needs to drop a couple of kgs. I think hes got what it takes to be elite if he works hard over next couple of years. He is still pretty young
I think he can become a decent contributor. Don't think he has it in him to work nearly as hard as chappy. Just my opinion.

I think he can become a decent contributor. Don't think he has it in him to work nearly as hard as chappy. Just my opinion.

Not disagreeing with you at all. Im saying that's probably around his ceiling if he works his arse off to get fitter than he is at the moment. If he gets as good as Chapman was I think Bomber supporters would be pretty stoked.

Why so? I think he should aspire to be like a Chapman type player if he wants to swing between forward and mid. He has a similar shape and power to weight ratio but Chapman also had elite endurance which is what made him such a great player. Think Stringer wouldn't go too wrong trying to emulate a player like Chapman in what he could achieve if he gets himself fit enough and stays injury free. He has the talent. If he can get there then the Dons have got a bargain for sure.

I see what you're saying - making the most of what you have. Was slightly confused by the player comparison as one was a small forward and the other a 3rd tall.

Cool Thread which will probably be revisited each week for good and bad... :rolleyes:

He did ok tonight considering the pressure he has been under and the good thing about having him play is that he will command a good defender each week which will take pressure of others...

I think the second some teams sleep on him watch out...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to face facts, he's a soft player. If he had the guts to compete in the air he'd be very very good. See 2 mins to go in the prelim - dickson backs into a pack, jake gets scared of aerial contact and stays down. Williams rebounds and it almost cost us the game.

He did this all the time at the dogs, I could name 30 more examples.. it was so frustrating as a dogs supporter, but now it's kinda amusing. He's good for 2-4 BOGs a year, which would actually be pretty good, except he goes missing in just about every other game.

People forget how good he was in 2015. 50 goals, AA and #10 on Robbie's top 50 (I know, Robbo, but surely he was in everyone's top 30).

Gone to s**t since then but Essendon didn't pay much for him and he might come good.

At least he's had that horrible man bun removed!

VFL footy is the destination for the package. Of all the things that led to the Bombers having a win, he did none of them. Fair play to Tippa, Hurley, Heppell and Hooker, but the package should be returned to sender. The only redeeming feature is that it is R1.
You mentioned Hooker and Tippa but not James Stewart? Average post

Was a typical stringer game. A couple of really good moments but largely you want more from him.

Nothing new about him tonight except the colours he’s wearing. He will have days where it clicks but if you want those you put up with the frustrating ones

I watched him at various times and I thought he was okay tonight, at times I thought he was too focused on whoever he was on at that time instead of the ball and a few times he seemed unsure who he was meant to be picking up, at one bounce in the last quarter he found himself on Betts and you could see he wasn't happy about it but he went and picked him up. I think his role at Essendon will free him from having to be AA Jake, tonight he performed his role.

Last edited:
People forget how good he was in 2015. 50 goals, AA and #10 on Robbie's top 50 (I know, Robbo, but surely he was in everyone's top 30).

Gone to s**t since then but Essendon didn't pay much for him and he might come good.

At least he's had that horrible man bun removed!
Yeah there’s no doubt he was genuinely great that year.

Was surprised how quiet he was tonight. I thought he’d start with a bang. It was a very 2017 Stringer performance.

Can’t really say I’d love to see him back to his best now he’s with another side but it’s be good for the competition.

Last edited:
Was fine to good. Great contested mark in defence, 7 tackles, 3 clearances. Needs to up his possessions a bit but the stuff he’s doing is a good foundation to build on. Keep up those tackle numbers, get the odd goal and throw his body around and he’s playing his role.

Had a good look at him all game. He spent quite a fair bit of time sitting on the bench compared to other players (looked heaviest on field to me too). I know this doesn't show on TV as easily but when he had the ball in hand there is a lot he could of done with it that he didn't do. Many players are guilty of this but he slows up our play imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back