Stringer; is he performing to the expectations of the media and public ?

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL footy is the destination for the package. Of all the things that led to the Bombers having a win, he did none of them. Fair play to Tippa, Hurley, Heppell and Hooker, but the package should be returned to sender. The only redeeming feature is that it is R1.
We don't want him back, s**t bloke, horrible clubman and pissing away his footy talent

Career best was 8 with the dogs, but only averaged a couple of a game.

Playing more midfield will help those numbers
Playing midfield and consistently getting beaten to the bell will help.
I’d be surprised if he’s still playing midfield by about round 12.

Went missing when the game was on the line.
dude... you can shitpost all you want about his ability or personal life, that's fair game.

But seriously, don't post absolute bullshit like that.

Your club gave him up. Deal with it.

We’re talking about a players marriage problems. Same with multiple players in every single club. Get your hand off it.
I agree. Heard a shocker from a very reliable source about a much admired then club captain who had a squeaky clean off field image doing the dirty in horrendous circumstances.

It’s no doubt happening all over the league. Stringer just drew the short straw in having a partner who doesn’t mind the limelight and was willing to make it very public.

That said, he did cause some major off field friction with his behaviour. The affair was one plank of a seriously out of control personal spiral. For his sake and his family’s I hope he gets it under control. He may have done so, though the lion tat and manbun possibly didn’t help with perception.

I agree. Heard a shocker from a very reliable source about a much admired then club captain who had a squeaky clean off field image doing the dirty in horrendous circumstances.

It’s no doubt happening all over the league. Stringer just drew the short straw in having a partner who doesn’t mind the limelight and was willing to make it very public.

That said, he did cause some major off field friction with his behaviour. The affair was one plank of a seriously out of control personal spiral. For his sake and his family’s I hope he gets it under control. He may have done so, though the lion tat and manbun possibly didn’t help with perception.

Abby made that point when she first went public with that first article last year, its one of the reasons why I've never followed individual players because off-field some of them are less than likable but then again no one is perfect.

She went public with his infidelity? OMG she's an animal. Is the publicity the problem or is it that he can't keep the package in his pants?

Everyone thought Stringer was going to go on to bigger and better things after a couple of really good seasons in 2014 and 2015 but as strange as this sounds I think we've seen the best of him, and thus just like 2016 and 2017 in 2018 and beyond he will never be the same explosive, dynamic 'package' that he was in 14/15.

******* a 17-year old whilst his wife was pregnant with his son? I understand wanting to turn a blind eye to the guy on your team, but that's next level denial.
Stringer was a Bulldogs player when that happened. Since coming to Essendon, he has made impovement. Granted if he went to the Demons, he'd probably be in prison by now.

Playing midfield and consistently getting beaten to the bell will help.
I’d be surprised if he’s still playing midfield by about round 12.

I spent sometime watching Stringer at the center bounces and he wasn't getting beaten to the ball, he seemed to be playing the role of a defensive mid by trying to keep one of the Crows mids under pressure to limit their effectiveness, I would have liked to have seen him attack the ball a bit more but maybe that wasn't his role, considering the backline was undermanned it was important that the mids didn't bleed clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many AFL players are tossers. Even the stars. Lets be real here. Talent in AFL does not relate to you being a good member of society.
Stringer's story is just more public than others.

Pretty sure Dustin Martin and Franklin and many other top players have plenty of issues and if they were all being aired out in public then plenty of people would have things to say about them too.

As for his footy, give it some time. One game doesn't mean anything. It takes time to get used to a new club, a new role etc. The people that are judging off one outing are the ones that want him to fail. Most rational people would give it some more time and see.

We’re talking about a players marriage problems. Same with multiple players in every single club. Get your hand off it.

Again, I know this may come across like a cheap shot, but here's an Essendon supporter downplaying a serious off-field issue as just "marriage problems". Hilarious spin. I take it you're aware of the details of what he's like, right?

No need to spin serious off-field issues using flowery language. Bad habit that.

Back to my point. Character, leadership, and club culture off-field seems to be as highly correlated with winning premierships as ever. Clubs who target troubled talent so far have not been rewarded.

But digging deeper, I honestly believe it's a reflection of a deeper belief at the club that the path to improvement is improving the natural talent levels of the playing list. Would that observation be correct? If that belief exists at Essendon, then when a time comes for the list to seemingly stagnate (be it 6th on the ladder, 8th, or even 4th), the perceived solution to the problem will be to again look for better talent. This ends up signalling to the rest of the list they're not quite good enough. This mindset just doesn't work.

Did a few good things and by all reports is really cracking in at training. I’m prepared to cut him some slack for a few weeks until he finds his feet. I’m certainly not going to write the bloke off after 1 game

I know this will come across as a cheap shot, but an Essendon supporter saying "honestly, who cares what goes on off-field?" is hilarious and proves you've learnt nothing.

Off-field professionalism and character is a VERY influential factor in winning premierships these days.
Can't have been too much of a factor in yours given a pic of some t***ies with a premiership medal ended up doing the rounds on social media not even 24 hours after you'd just won your first flag in 30 years.

Can't have been too much of a factor in yours given a pic of some t***ies with a premiership medal ended up doing the rounds on social media not even 24 hours after you'd just won your first flag in 30 years.

Richmond's premiership culture was founded on recruiting exceptional characters.

The very 1st player Dimma targeted was Bachar Houli ;)

Houli scored maximum votes by the coaches in the Grand Final, but it's not about on-field talent... you need a large collection of genuinely great people to build that very close bond within a large playing group.

They won't all be best friends, but if they're super close and genuinely great people who care and respect each other, then overall the club is more likely to win premierships.

Some exceptions can exist but Stringer is 100% at the wrong end of the continuum, and I'm not sure if Essendon really care about recruiting for character in general. That's my point.

Richmond's premiership culture was founded on recruiting exceptional characters.

The very 1st player Dimma targeted was Bachar Houli ;)
How exceptional was the character of Chris Yarran though? What qualities did Dimma see in him?

How exceptional was the character of Chris Yarran though? What qualities did Dimma see in him?

Yarran was a shy, quiet kid who was loved by everyone at Carlton.

He developed an ice addiction mate, that doesn't make him a s**t bloke who dogs his teammates. Besides, to your point, some exceptions can exist but Essendon really don't seem to GAF about character in general.

Essendon looks for exceptional talent and doesn't GAF about what happens off-field. As long as they can play.

He developed an ice addiction mate, that doesn't make him a s**t bloke who dogs his teammates.
Just another exceptional character who wound up with an ice addiction, huh? Richmond recruited Yarran admittedly knowing about his off-field issues and somehow still didn't seem to notice or intervene while he was slowly getting himself addicted to methamphetamines. Nathan Broad snapped a creep pick, someone else in the club distributed it while a chunk of the playing group seemed to be aware of what was going on but didn't pipe up until after it made the headlines.

And yet here you are, lecturing others about culture on beegfootay.

Spare me.

Just another exceptional character who wound up with an ice addiction, huh? Richmond recruited Yarran admittedly knowing about his off-field issues and somehow still didn't seem to notice or intervene while he was slowly getting himself addicted to methamphetamines. Nathan Broad snapped a creep pick, someone else in the club distributed it while a chunk of the playing group seemed to be aware of what was going on but didn't pipe up until after it made the headlines.

And yet here you are, lecturing others about culture on beegfootay.

Spare me.

Do you understand my point or are you just trying to troll?

There's a genuine footy discussion hidden in my post for anyone who wants to find it.

Do you understand my point or are you just trying to troll?

There's a genuine footy discussion hidden in my post for anyone who wants to find it.
The point you're trying make is being framed by shitty evidence, both in that Essendon only recruits campaigners (something I find pretty hilarious because prior to Stringer we haven't really recruited anybody) and that Richmond is a shining beacon of ethics in football.

He developed an ice addiction mate, that doesn't make him a s**t bloke who dogs his teammates. Besides, to your point, some exceptions can exist but Essendon really don't seem to GAF about character in general.

Essendon looks for exceptional talent and doesn't GAF about what happens off-field. As long as they can play.
If you have an Ice addiction you are a s**t bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back