Stringer; is he performing to the expectations of the media and public ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Yarran

Good person, shy kid, loved by everyone at Carlton, we recruited him knowing he was depressed and later on found out he had an ice addiction - which doesn’t make him a bad human being.

You clearly don’t understand my point.

Ben Cousins

That’s before Hardwick and Gale came on board. Besides, Cuz was loved by his teammates and was a captain.

Dustin Martin

Dusty visits a quadriplegic teenager every week to meditate. He also has tattoos and a social life with Dane Swan, which doesn’t negate my point.

Thus, you also don’t understand my point.

Guys, I’m happy to banter, and happy to have a real footy discussion, but this is just low-level pig fodder you’re dishing up. Where’s your high caliber of character?

Good person, shy kid, loved by everyone at Carlton, we recruited him knowing he was depressed and later on found out he had an ice addiction - which doesn’t make him a bad human being.

That’s before Hardwick and Gale came on board. Besides, Cuz was loved by his teammates and was a captain.

Dusty visits a quadriplegic teenager every week to meditate. He also has tattoos and a social life with Dane Swan, which doesn’t negate my point.

Thus, you also don’t understand my point.

Guys, I’m happy to banter, and happy to have a real footy discussion, but this is just low-level pig fodder you’re dishing up. Where’s your high caliber of character?

Mate everyone understands your point. You're just trying really hard to seem like you know what you're talking about and people are seeing through it like glad wrap.

Mate everyone understands your point. You're just trying really hard to seem like you know what you're talking about and people are seeing through it like glad wrap.

Geez, read the Yellow and Black book about last year’s season.

I’m stating facts about the RFC’s recruiting philosophy. All this stuff is confirmed by quotes from Dimma, Gale, FJ, Blair, players, etc.

The only assumption I’m making is about Essendon’s philosophy. If I’m wrong, educate me. If I’m right, who cares. There’s more than one way to build a premiership club.

I’m stating facts about the RFC’s recruiting philosophy. All this stuff is confirmed by quotes from Dimma, Gale, FJ, Blair, players, etc.

The only assumption I’m making is about Essendon’s philosophy. If I’m wrong, educate me. If I’m right, who cares. There’s more than one way to build a premiership club.

Ok, at least you admit you're making an assumption, but it certainly didn't read like that initially. I doubt any club has a recruiting philosophy that states "we don't care about character, only talent"

By far the funniest thing about this thread is the holier than thou Richmond supporters being hypocritical dunderheads and trying to make yet another thread all about them. Give it a rest.

As for Stringer, too early to judge but I kinda hope he’s just average for the Dons. Mostly cause they picked him up so cheap, I’m irritated they got rewarded with McGrath for cheating, and I’m also irritated they’re looking pretty handy this year while the Pies will be spudding around the bottom 6 with a godawful game plan and incompetent coach. So there you have it, hoping he’s a bust mostly out of spite, but too early to say for sure. Fingers crossed though :)

Great a book! Was the by line of the book “how I spent 37 years in the wilderness and came back a guru”?

Essendon have taken a risk with Stringer but it was not without due diligence. Xavier Campbell met with him on three occasions, he also met stringers parents to gain insights as to where Jake had gone off the rails. Stringer then had to convince the leadership group he had changed, had to convince Worsfold and 8 other club stakeholders that he was worth a shot. So I guess, yes you are wrong.

All clubs have dickheads in their starting 22. Just like all clubs have dickhead fans...

By far the funniest thing about this thread is the holier than thou Richmond supporters being hypocritical dunderheads and trying to make yet another thread all about them. Give it a rest.

As for Stringer, too early to judge but I kinda hope he’s just average for the Dons. Mostly cause they picked him up so cheap, I’m irritated they got rewarded with McGrath for cheating, and I’m also irritated they’re looking pretty handy this year while the Pies will be spudding around the bottom 6 with a godawful game plan and incompetent coach. So there you have it, hoping he’s a bust mostly out of spite, but too early to say for sure. Fingers crossed though :)

Anything that gives Pies fans the irrits means the club's made the right move:)

Stringer will be fine, he needs more time. He was thrown under the bus by the dogs and needs time to refocus his mind.

Don's are a good fit as many of their players have been through alot over the past years and that should help him.

Judging by the weekend he’s made a good move career-wise.

Ok, at least you admit you're making an assumption, but it certainly didn't read like that initially. I doubt any club has a recruiting philosophy that states "we don't care about character, only talent"

Was being genuine when asking for discussion since I knew I was drawing assumptions on limited evidence. Part of it comes from a general perception of Essendon’s mindset, which is no doubt coloured by the whatever it takes era and may not be fair.

The era of rigid equalisation makes it very difficult to accumulate talent. It forces every club to gain a competitive advantage elsewhere.

I find that side of the game the most interesting.

Clubs therefore have to differentiate between talents differently these days. Several prospects might be relatively equal in value, but you can categorise them by position, by pure talent, by skills, by defensive intent, by speed, by age, by prior success, by potential, by character, by leadership, by X-factor, etc.

Again, in theory all clubs have equal access to talent. The system aims to make us all the same. The uncontrolled points of differences are history, culture, and philosophy. (And training programs/knowledge, but let’s not go there).

So to find a competitive advantage, all clubs experiment with prioritising various traits over others.

I know for a fact Richmond were attempting to prioritise good character for the previous 7 years, and I know in today’s ultra-critical and negative social media / football media environment, that led to a playing list that built their own coping mechanisms for dealing with all that pressure (refer to book). That took the pressure off. I think anything that leads to a playing group able to manage today’s 24/7 criticism is a major advantage, more than skills, height, etc. It’s the modern method for allowing average talents to play carefree football in big games.

A couple of weeks after the flag I’m reading all about that, while we mysteriously back away from a 19yo Pick 2 in Josh Schache after interviewing him (crossing his name out due to psych/character reasons) despite desperately needing another tall forward, and then seeing Essendon target Stringer. The thought to target Stringer was just so much in conflict with everything I was reading. Wasn’t sure what to make of it, shrugged, then saw this thread a few months later.

So I’m assuming Essendon have their own unique ways of searching for a competitive advantage, and the last 2-3 seasons have forced a major shake-up in terms of philosophy. So yes, I’m looking deeply into the mindset behind the Stringer trade, and drawing assumptions about what the club might be thinking. It’s a really important time for the club moving forward. Basically, Essendon’s mindset in the shadows of the supplements saga seems amplified due to the forced disruption of their previous long-term list management plan. They targeted trades for 3 players under the age of 24 or so, so there’s clearly a medium-term strategy behind it (contrast that with Port targeting 3 players all 27-29 age bracket).

The mistake I made was to simplify all this and compare it to Richmond. Yeah that doesn’t go down well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 disposals and 7 tackles

He’s going to be a role player with X factor and I’m ok with that

Yep. He impacts the contest, that much is clear from Friday.

And when he goes forward he can be fourth banana behind Hooker, Stewart and Daniher. He’s gonna enjoy himself.

Imagine taking the view that Stringer had a shocker Friday night. Seven tackles for a player that has been smashed (rightly or wrongly) by Dogs fans over the years for being lazy is instructive.

Will only get better from here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back