News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive thread dig, but this is primarily because they rated Duursma as high as 7 in 2018, rather than 2019 being abnormally poor. No different to the much more common view that Bailey Smith (who they rated Duursma above) would have gone at the top end of 2019.
Who’s they for clarity?

Wonder how everyone feels about this now?
the same as before
they got over the top concessions

these concession should be stripped back starting with list size, these guys have ******* 51 players, need to be the same as every club

their extra round 1 pick in next years draft should be taken back, would say the same about this years extra first but they already traded it

no more getting academy players for free

Very comfortable at the decision back then, and still am now. It will be a massive tick on the league having a strong and successful team up on the Gold Coast, in a beautiful ironic twist, they lucked out losing Tom Lynch by getting Izak Rankine with the compo pick they got for him.

Cannot begrudge them the talent they have assembled now, given that for all intents and purposes, Southern State Clubs always viewed and treated the Suns as a 'feeder club'

Case in point Melbourne giving up their Jesse Hogan pick for Steven May, which turned out to be Ben King

The only group of supporters who should feel entitled to feel filthy are Freo fans, whom have hardly gotten a leg up with concessions like The other expansion club's.

The only group of supporters who should feel entitled to feel filthy are Freo fans, whom have hardly gotten a leg up with concessions like The other expansion club's.
If Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda play finals this season Freo will be the only side in 5 seasons to not have played finals.

Where is our priority pick? Even a second round pick would be nice. Even a pick in the second round that we have to trade would be fine.

the same as before

these concession should be stripped back starting with list size, these guys have ******* 51 players, need to be the same as every club

their extra round 1 pick in next years draft should be taken back, would say the same about this years extra first but they already traded it

A few things there.

We don't have an extra first round next year. Its just a the beginning of 2nd round.

Also with the extra players I have no doubt that will be cut, however, we already have 41 players contracted past this year, so if the cuts go lower than that, then we may have an issue.

If Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda play finals this season Freo will be the only side in 5 seasons to not have played finals.

Where is our priority pick? Even a second round pick would be nice. Even a pick in the second round that we have to trade would be fine.
Agreed. They still have more priority picks to come, but on top of that the whole of Darwin under their academy as well.
Unacceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your supporter base is strong though... The AFL isnt worried about Freo going under or even struggling financially.

Til then, they wont give a sh*t about a lean patch.
You're right. As long as our owner has the WCE money coming in then we don't need to hold our hand out to the AFL - which excludes us from consideration.

WAFC owns both WCE and Freo.

the same as before

They don’t have an extra round 1 pick in next years draft.

Get your facts straight.

The thing is, that as much as I want a priority pick for Freo because it helps (look at the number of premiership teams that haven't had a list concession in a father son/academy or priority pick player on their list in the last 15 years, it's not a lot) if Freo were fit then we are far more competitive.

We could be given pick #1 this year as a priority pick, then eight best 22 players return from injury in round 1 and well done priority pick worked... except that wasn't the issue. The same as Gold Coast.

No arguments from me, although I do think only the Saints will play finals this year from that trio of teams you mentioned.

Losing Neale and Hill in consecutive years has been a body blow for your club, and alas, the Jesse Hogan trade doesn't look like bearing fruit for The Dockers.

And you are going into a draft deficit this year (no thanks to my mob 😳)

Its up to Freo admin to ask for it, but if i am the AFL, an end of first round PP/draft pick for The Dockers would seem perfectly reasonable.

The AFL, not only in WA, is the richer for having a strong and competitive Freo outfit up and about.

Very comfortable at the decision back then, and still am now. It will be a massive tick on the league having a strong and successful team up on the Gold Coast, in a beautiful ironic twist, they lucked out losing Tom Lynch by getting Izak Rankine with the compo pick they got for him.

Cannot begrudge them the talent they have assembled now, given that for all intents and purposes, Southern State Clubs always viewed and treated the Suns as a 'feeder club'

Case in point Melbourne giving up their Jesse Hogan pick for Steven May, which turned out to be Ben King

Absolutely we feel filthy.

The truth is Fremantle isn’t an priority for the AFL.

We still get crowds and break even most seasons. In fact, we get less funding from the AFL than Essendon and Carlton who are considered big Melbourne clubs.

Fremantle means very little to the AFL. It seems we are only to make up the numbers and to weaken West Coast.

Image if West Coast had no competition for returning WA players.

A few things there.

We don't have an extra first round next year. Its just a the beginning of 2nd round.

Also with the extra players I have no doubt that will be cut, however, we already have 41 players contracted past this year, so if the cuts go lower than that, then we may have an issue.
Good shout, beginning of second round compo next year should be scrapped

Academy players should be able to be bid on and matched as opposed to getting them for free

And list size down to 41 for you guys is fair

[/QUOTE]

We still get crowds and break even most seasons. In fact, we get less funding from the AFL than Essendon and Carlton who are considered big Melbourne clubs.

Fremantle means very little to the AFL. It seems we are only to make up the numbers and to weaken West Coast.

I think you guys need a Rove McManus (flog that he is) high profile Chairman/President who will fly the flag for all things Freo and be passionate in a public arena about how the Dockers have been disadvantaged in so many ways over the years, both in player/star retention, and the ability to recruit A Grade Talent to the club.

The way I see it, with all due respect, your club and it's board and it's chairman (nice people as I am sure they are) seem too meek/timid to try take on Gil and City Hall.

Put it this way, Tony Cochrane (Suns Chairman) being a total pain in the ass and lobbyist for more Suns concessions from the AFL, must have played a pretty big part in the Suns getting their rescue package.

Now I don't like Cochrane or how he goes about things, but someone like him is exactly who Freo need leading their club.

Exactly A(V)FL RUSHED THE Dockers into the league not to succeed but to weaken the Eagles.
Concessions reflect that.
What suns and gws have got shows they need them to succeed and win flags to draw market share from league.
At league headquarters on their 18 club priority board I think you’ll find we’re 18th

It's still early in the season and don't even know if they will make finals . They also have the handicap of having to pay players more to retain them and constantly losing players .
A lot of their extended list is zone players from QLD and NT . Getting these guys with no go home factor is crucial to their future .
I don't know why a Carlton supporter is upset you guys have fed off the carcass of the expansion team's more than anyone .

I am more pissed about the bullshit PSD s**t you guys pulled to get Martin. That's low low s**t right there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back