News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have any thoughts on why every top level sporting side set up on the Gold Coast been a failure?
Good question.

Aside from an obviously transient ( tourist ) population, what is the actual resident population there ( 2019 est 687K ) ? can that figure actually support a team ? I'm not an economist so i wouldn't know. I'm thinking that a very high percentage of the population needs to be involved to make them viable, at least without massive subsidies.

I heard Jeff talking about the economics of a team in Tassie and he mentioned a figure of roughly $50M per annum to support a team, from a 2018 population estimate of 520K in Tassie... At least Tassie has a football heart though.

I dont see the AFL stopping though - that would be admitting they were wrong.
The AFL has always operated with plausible deniability.

If I was a Richmond fan I’d be very happy too. Compromised drafts over next 4 years generally ensure status quo at the top.

I think the beneficiaries won’t be known for a few years yet, but I reckon it’s more likely going to be a club that has already hit the draft and trade hard and now potentially gets a few years where other clubs aren’t adding the best players they might otherwise be to the young end of their list. Brisbane maybe?

I think the beneficiaries won’t be known for a few years yet, but I reckon it’s more likely going to be a club that has already hit the draft and trade hard and now potentially gets a few years where other clubs aren’t adding the best players they might otherwise be to the young end of their list. Brisbane maybe?
And your team

It’s massive overs.

Massive problem demanded massive overs. Need to rip the bandaid off and go all-in on GCS now or otherwise jut fold the club. No point meandering another 5-10years while GCS cement their place as the cellar dweller youth academy for Victoria.

And your team

Maybe. I think Brisbane have already set up really well while Carlton aren’t quite there yet. If they can pull Papley and Martin out of this trade period, it’s a good leap forward, but it’s unforeseen how the plan to use the next few years of picks as trade currency for established players is going to be effected by compromised positions in drafts.

The Dees could be another if they get their s**t together. It’s a good list.

Hmm I don't know then. Thought we got a priority in 2000 and selected Riewoldt & Kosi, then got ball, then Carltons crap got found out and we got Goddard..?
I believe Roo and Ball were PPs, from back in the day when 4 wins was the mark.

The whole PP is a flaw, with most teams who are at the bottom of the ladder for 3 or 4 years not needing top picks, they've already had them. They need better development/coaching/retention

wont help them any way, I reckon if they are still s**t in 3 years, afl will try move them to Darwin since they get the Darwin home games and academy

Fair to say there's a bit of a leg up here. But you can see it's not all about picks. Hawks, Collingwood, Saints and WC have done well, while Dogs, Carlton and Melbourne didn't make use of them.
Hence the AFL's magic bullet is not that. They have once again missed the mark and not actually thought through their 'solution' to GC's issues.
But what can you expect from the amateurs running the show

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wont help them any way, I reckon if they are still s**t in 3 years, afl will try move them to Darwin since they get the Darwin home games and academy
Nah, that would be admitting they were wrong to put them up there. They will just throw more $ and PPs their way and nothing will change.

Maybe. I think Brisbane have already set up really well while Carlton aren’t quite there yet. If they can pull Papley and Martin out of this trade period, it’s a good leap forward, but it’s unforeseen how the plan to use the next few years of picks as trade currency for established players is going to be effected by compromised positions in drafts.

The Dees could be another if they get their s**t together. It’s a good list.
If Carlton get Martin and Papley out of this trade period, and keep an early pick, they have done really well.

The blues probably just need another midfielder and developing ruck, and they are in a really good spot.

Most of the Sooks outraged over this decison support clubs that (seemingly) are into chasing Lukosius/Rankine but especially Ben King.

There is a certain amount of delicious irony in that I find.
I am glad you are so strong on getting the Suns right, should lead by example and send Carlton an email about how as a supporter you are angry that they are raiding the Suns by chasing Martin and should back out of the deal and let him stay with the Suns long term.

View attachment 756371
Fair to say there's a bit of a leg up here. But you can see it's not all about picks. Hawks, Collingwood, Saints and WC have done well, while Dogs, Carlton and Melbourne didn't make use of them.
Hence the AFL's magic bullet is not that. They have once again missed the mark and not actually thought through their 'solution' to GC's issues.
But what can you expect from the amateurs running the show

The difference with these cases is that every struggling club could qualify for them under a transparent system; and often multiple clubs qualified in the same year. This arbitrary move to award an unprecedented level of assistance to the Gold Coast is something different. It’s more a special bailout package being dressed up as awarded under the invisible priority pick “system”. It’s shady as all buggery.

The difference with these cases is that every struggling club could qualify for them under a transparent system; and often multiple clubs qualified in the same year. This arbitrary move to award an unprecedented level of assistance to the Gold Coast is something different. It’s more a special bailout package being dressed up as awarded under the invisible priority pick “system”. It’s shady as all buggery.
True - in their efforts to stop tanking which apparently wasn't happening:think:, they made an inequitable, non-transparent system which is open to the personal agendas of the individuals at the AFL

Do you have any thoughts on why every top level sporting side set up on the Gold Coast been a failure?
Culture is much more outdoors focussed, people tend to play sport rather than watch it. Interestingly if you look at our crowds v GWS they are comparable, considering how poor we have been it tells me the support is there.

However we are massive bandwagoners and if the team is winning the crowds will come

The AFL's inclusion of a yearly review of the package is conspicuous. They're not outright telling the Suns to trade some of the bounty, but there's definitely an element of "use it or lose it" in there. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Suns draft Rowell and Anderson then deal the rest.

Given Carlton has literally been just as bad over the last six years, I also wouldn't be surprised if a caveat of the deal is for the Suns to deal Martin to the Blues at a reduced 'AFL Special' price.

Is it true Hawthorn are trying to get pick 1 off Gold Coast? Either way I don't see how that can happen as Hawthorn don't have anything that could be of pick 1 level value to trade.
I’m sure a number of clubs would try and get pick 1 but I can’t think of any that have the assets to do it.

Why the AFL continue to give this club so much assistance is beyond me. They're in the position they are through their own doing, nobody else. It's the Sun's fault that they've been down the bottom since 2011, it's the Sun's fault that they lose so many star players, and it's the Sun's fault that they've continued to make terrible decisions.

Don't help them, let them get out of this situation themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back