News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep because clubs like Richmond poached their talent. Lynch Prestia Caddy. So everyone else has to suffer because of it ?
Caddy went to Geelong. Prestia was leaving and chose us and the GC got fairly compensated for it. Lynch could have gone anywhere; what do the Tigers say? Sorry Tom, go to Hawthorn or Collingwood it wouldn't look right.

Reviewable annually, so basically they will only get the picks in 2020 and 2021 if they are still bottom 4 id say. Glad they gave them 1 and 2 as long as they use them on the 2 midfield mates Rowell and anderson.

The club will be liquidated within a decade. It’s a sporting/cultural wasteland.

Notwithstanding giving them more draft picks isn’t the answer, they lost all there talent once before and nothing’s changed. It’ll be like a farm clearing sale as the Vic teams go through them again in 2 years time. You have to want to be there, and right now nobody goes there by choice.
Massive amount of kids playing Aussie Rules in Qld. Do some research. AFL are playing the long game.

Last edited:

How many high draft picks get to go to good, strong clubs? Not many. Why would GC, if going better, be any less chance of retention than Melb, Saints, Carlton, Freo, Brisbane, Port etc. That's where all the high picks have been going.

If you're a champion junior you'd be better off hiding your talent or faking off-field issues (Darling) and getting a big club to pick you.

Since 2012, apart from Father/Sons only a handful of top ten picks have gone to the strong clubs. Only because they had poor seasons.

'12 - Vlaustin. (Richmond weren't even strong at that point)
'13 - Scharenberg, Freeman
'14 - DeGoey.
'15 - Francis and Parish
'16 - Zero
'17 - McGrath (tainted. Should never have happened).
'18 - Stephenson

8/70 selections.

How many high draft picks get to go to good, strong clubs? Not many. Why would GC, if going better, be any less chance of retention than Melb, Saints, Carlton, Freo, Brisbane, Port etc. That's where all the high picks have been going.

If you're a champion junior you'd be better off hiding your talent or faking off-field issues (Darling) and getting a big club to pick you.

Since 2012, apart from Father/Sons only a handful of top ten picks have gone to the strong clubs. Only because they had poor seasons.

'12 - Vlaustin. (Richmond weren't even strong at that point)
'13 - Scharenberg, Freeman
'14 - DeGoey.
'15 - Francis and Parish
'16 - Zero
'17 - McGrath (tainted. Should never have happened).
'18 - Stephenson

9/70 selections.
Or you could do a Wingard and tank your interview to make sure you get drafted to the club you want, only to then get assholed by that club just a few years later.

Or you could do a Wingard and tank your interview to make sure you get drafted to the club you want, only to then get assholed by that club just a few years later.
Hmmm. You should get more information on the situation surrounding his trade before posting stuff like this.

I like the 10 rookies idea. They could realistically grab a bunch of the best state league players as well as the cream of the draft on top.

Ben Sokol, jye Bolton, Shane Nelson and haiden schloithe are obvious names from the wafl that should be looked at. Seeing the immediate impact that Pickett, Parker and Kelly have had should be a lesson for the bottom ranked clubs.

Poor from the AFL as it was there desperation to open the shop doors early that’s led to this shambles of a club.

Poor facilities, poor management, poor everything from the get go.
Whilst GWS were recruiting/poaching players for the future you guys were offering retirement packages to guys like Jarad Brennan, Daniel Ike’s, Danny StNley, Atlanta Bock, Nathan Krakouer, Josh Fraser to feast there hip pockets on.

Saving grace is Jarrod Hargrove and the early years of Gary Ablett Jnr.

If we take it back further than this, take in the Melbourne effect. Where kids can’t teach kids. It’s a recipe for disaster and heightening the ability to stay at the foot of the ladder.

Instead of drafting kids on kids, why can’t they be forced to trade out some of these concessions for established players? They’ll be better off than kids.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor from the AFL as it was there desperation to open the shop doors early that’s led to this shambles of a club.

Poor facilities, poor management, poor everything from the get go.
Whilst GWS were recruiting/poaching players for the future you guys were offering retirement packages to guys like Jarad Brennan, Daniel Ike’s, Danny StNley, Atlanta Bock, Nathan Krakouer, Josh Fraser to feast there hip pockets on.

Saving grace is Jarrod Hargrove and the early years of Gary Ablett Jnr.

If we take it back further than this, take in the Melbourne effect. Where kids can’t teach kids. It’s a recipe for disaster and heightening the ability to stay at the foot of the ladder.

Instead of drafting kids on kids, why can’t they be forced to trade out some of these concessions for established players? They’ll be better off than kids.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The facilities were worked around as best as possible. There was no saving us from Scott Clayton though. Whoever decided to put that idiot in charge should be personally held responsible by the AFL for where we are today.

Maybe Gil should try moving to the Gold Coast, see how he likes it?

The problem is not many players want to live for decades, grow up and raise a family in playboysville

Maybe Gil should try moving to the Gold Coast, see how he likes it?

The problem is not many players want to live for decades, grow up and raise a family in playboysville
Like many that don’t know the GC people consider Surfers Paradise to be the GC and judge it accordingly. This couldn’t be further from the truth, it’s like judging Melbourne on a visit to King street

(Log in to remove this ad.)

]
Those priority picks had objective criteria and weren’t handed out for three years in advance. As to whom Collingwood and Hawthorn would have taken 15 years ago with one less pick, it’s speculation. Hawthorns PP (Roughead) jut retired.

Agree with the first part, however thanks to the ineptitude of Ian Collins the priority pick rules where forever ruined when he changed the minimum win period from 3 years to 1.

The priority pick rules of the 1990s where perfectly fine , as they helped teams who where generally struggling over a prolonged period, not teams who had a bad year, until that buffoon stuffed it right up,

Now, rather than sticking to a consistent formula, we have the unedifying scenario of clubs having to beg and lobby the AFL for extra picks, it’s farcical.

Thanks Collo. To think that he was close to landing the AFL CEO job back in the day is frightening.

Reviewable annually, so basically they will only get the picks in 2020 and 2021 if they are still bottom 4 id say. Glad they gave them 1 and 2 as long as they use them on the 2 midfield mates Rowell and anderson.
I can see some tanking coming on

The package while welcome doesn’t fix the fundamental issue that clubs North of the Murry have to deal with. The money that’s thrown at players in Melbourne (outside the cap) in endorsements, sports dinners, appearances etc adds big dollars above what we can. There just isn’t the worship that they get in Vic. I fear the AFL have hit the post with this kick

The package while welcome doesn’t fix the fundamental issue that clubs North of the Murry have to deal with. The money that’s thrown at players in Melbourne (outside the cap) in endorsements, sports dinners, appearances etc adds big dollars above what we can. There just isn’t the worship that they get in Vic. I fear the AFL have hit the post with this kick
I think the AFL have kicked OOF!

I agree with you though. Hence I think cap space or off field measures are more appropriate.

Like many that don’t know the GC people consider Surfers Paradise to be the GC and judge it accordingly. This couldn’t be further from the truth, it’s like judging Melbourne on a visit to King street

Do you have any thoughts on why every top level sporting side set up on the Gold Coast been a failure?

If I was a Richmond fan I’d be very happy too. Compromised drafts over next 4 years generally ensure status quo at the top.
I was happy ,9 years ago when we were second last, and compromised drafts were in vogue
And 8 years ago when we're 6th last ,,,
We should have had pick 2 in 2010 ( ended up pick 6)
We should have had pick 6 in 2011 ( ended up pick 15),,
Swings and roundabout, we didn't complain then we don't complain now
Gold coast need help ,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back