Swans 2023 - contend or slide?

Remove this Banner Ad

History says that teams smashed in GFs generally slide.

2022 - Doggies finished 8th
2020 - GWS finished 10th
2018 - Crows finished 12th
2015 - Swans finished 7th
2008 - Port finished 13th
2004 - Pies finished 13th
2001 - Dees finished 11th

I think they will still be a contender but might not be as good as they were this year we never know until we still them next year.
but it will be a long pre-season for them that's for sure that was an embarrassing performance.

History suggest after a heavy grand final loss it's a slide down the ladder then bottom out a few years later. Just ask Port post-2007, Adelaide post-2017 or GWS post-2019 after a heavy grand final loss by 119, 48 and 89.

Can Sydney defy the critics and contend or will they slide?

Port 2007 Lost Grand Final by 119 2008 Missed finals (finished 13th )
Adelaide 2017 Lost Grand Final by 48 2018 Missed Finals (finished 12th)
GWS 2019 Lost Grand Final by 89 2020 Missed Finals (finished 10th)

I dunno, how did the Cats go after an 80+ point loss in 2021 Finals?

Think we'll drop away slightly with a tougher set of fixtures thanks to where we fijnished this year. We also had a pretty dream run with injuries during the back end of the season, next year could be different. 6-8th for me at a guess.

I guess it’s harder to slide any further from the bottom so not a bad thing we can have this discussion.
Having said that, prior to the GF we did ok with our previous games so I’ll get on us again.

As long as they're not mentally scarred they'll contend. They're a young team and not at there peak yet.

Early call is a Swans v Lions GF next year.

Last edited:
We need:

(a) an extractor at stoppages

(b) an on-baller with speed

Get that sorted and we are a strong chance to make another prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rucks, tall forwards, and inside mids seem to be areas of concern.

Reliance on Reid was heavy, and Franklin could fall off the edge quickly as he is not as fast as once was, still not a consistent ohead mark, so oppo just need to stick a shorter agile bloke on him. Is he keeping out another young fellow?

Hickey was great in some games, is there backup?

Collingwood and Geelong made the mids look suspect at getting the ball and doing something with it under pressure. Papley in the middle worked at times ... is it sustainable and robbing peter to pay paul?

Another year another development step, and conversely, another year of oppo analysis.

Competition: let's face it, without Collingwood the finals would have been mostly a bore fest. Geelong created a big gap between the rest of the field. Swans got lucky to make the GF. So if the comp remains a bit thin at the top, they have a chance again next year. If other clubs emerge reemerge (Pies, Freo, Blues, Dees) it could be tough.

CScott got flack for years for finals failure. Its now John's turn. He relies on a strong team ethic, and organization, excellent preparation, and on match day he sits on his hands. Ripe for a Clarko, a Scott, a Bevo to outmanouvre him tactically in the heat of battle.

Last edited:
They'll contend particularly if they get double up matches against teams like mine (Essendon), GWS (every year that's the case), North Melbourne and St Kilda again. With x6 double ups in 2023 they'll probably be given West Coast as the 6th. 15 of their 22 games in 2022 were against sides outside of the top 8. (this was the case for Geelong too)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back