Swans most supported team in Afl.

Remove this Banner Ad

adam waite

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Just went on Official website, and read this fact AND Then it said for 14th year in a row. No details as to who they questioned, or what was the criteria for the survey. Apparently we beat Collingwood, who came second! Any Thoughts?

The polls are worth nothing if you don't know the exact wording of the questions, the number of people polled, and the locations of said people, at a minimum.

IMO of course...

'So which team do you support in the AFL?'
Random Sydney resident: 'Yeah... uh the Swans, they represent Sydney don't they?'

Look it is great to have a positive growth potential like this. But it is just that, potential.

Last edited:
Sponsorship for the Swans is the largest for a reason - and it has little to do with football, and everything to do with the fact that Sydney is Australia's only truly global city (which is not a slur on Melb btw, just a fact).

Doesn't mean much. But If there was any team capable of challenging the big Vic clubs to become the truly largest side in footy Sydney would be it.

We'll just keep plugging away and getting to that 100k mark and take it from there.

My guess is we have one of the biggest states population-wise to ourselves up until very recently, so we’re more likely to attract the casual “it’s a Friday night so why not go to the footy” fans. It’s why our membership numbers are so poor in comparison, because to be a member is to be committed and I think the market we’re in just doesn’t lend itself to that kind of commitment.

Then there’s also the fact we probably have a young(er) supporter base, given we won a flag six years ago and recruited the game’s best player four years ago. And I can’t speak for other 20-something’s but I can barely afford to do my weekly food shopping let alone a membership, so a fair chunk of our supporters would also be die-hards who just aren’t members.

My guess is we have one of the biggest states population-wise to ourselves up until very recently, so we’re more likely to attract the casual “it’s a Friday night so why not go to the footy” fans. It’s why our membership numbers are so poor in comparison, because to be a member is to be committed and I think the market we’re in just doesn’t lend itself to that kind of commitment.

Then there’s also the fact we probably have a young(er) supporter base, given we won a flag six years ago and recruited the game’s best player four years ago. And I can’t speak for other 20-something’s but I can barely afford to do my weekly food shopping let alone a membership, so a fair chunk of our supporters would also be die-hards who just aren’t members.
Poor in comparison to what???? I don't think 60,000 + is a particularly poor number and we rank 8th in membership so I don't see where you're pulling the "poor membership numbers" line from.

Poor in comparison to what???? I don't think 60,000 + is a particularly poor number and we rank 8th in membership so I don't see where you're pulling the "poor membership numbers" line from.

I meant in comparison to overall supporters. We ranked 18th in the comp in % of supporters who are members.

60k is absolutely epic and wasn’t understating that at all, was just suggesting why that % may be so small.

The other thing about these surveys is that I imagine it's really a brand awareness poll.

As such it's more of a who would you support, rather than who do you support issue. I could be wrong. I haven't seen the questions.

This does nothing to detract from the marketing, though.

You see plenty of kids walking around in EPL gear in Asia, but does that mean they're really die hard supporters? Nope.

But does that mean Man U etc get a wider share of international sponsorship. You bet!

So it does actually mean something to the coffers of the club.

I'm sure those getting all upset by this endlessly repeating result have a narrow definition of what a 'true' supporter is that bears zero relation whatsover to what this is really telling us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree the poll figures re Sydney reflect a brand recognition, whereas the figures for Victoria reflect the choices of more rusted on invested supporters.

That said 60k members is impressive, even with the numbers of signed up fans from other States.

To me what is of interest in Sydney is the relative memberships and game attendances between the Bloods and NRL teams and the TV ratings figures. Bloods do very well in the first two categories but are soft on the latter in the Sydney/NSW market.

I wonder how many Sydney people who said they supported the Bloods have attended matches, watch them on the telly in preference to any random NRL game or one featuring their own NRL Club.

The Morgan poll is thin in meaning.

I meant in comparison to overall supporters. We ranked 18th in the comp in % of supporters who are members.

60k is absolutely epic and wasn’t understating that at all, was just suggesting why that % may be so small.
Sorry Ceasar I took your original post to mean we have disappointingly low membership figures, i apologise :oops:

Except this is the 14th year that this has happened ...

Yeah, it's not news, but it's great for footy. Means that there's a lot of people in Sydney who think they ought to have Swans as their team, even if they never go to a game. I call myself a Rabbitohs fan but I've ever gone to one game (sorry Rusty).

Sponsorship for the Swans is the largest for a reason - and it has little to do with football, and everything to do with the fact that Sydney is Australia's only truly global city (which is not a slur on Melb btw, just a fact).

Doesn't mean much. But If there was any team capable of challenging the big Vic clubs to become the truly largest side in footy Sydney would be it.

We'll just keep plugging away and getting to that 100k mark and take it from there.

Don't forget that Gil and the AFL represent the South Australian and Victorian elite. They want a national competition but under their control. This latest would not be seen as good news by the AFL. They certainly don't want Sydney to become more popular as GWS struggle. When we 'stole' Buddy from GWS we punched Gil and the AFL elite squarely in the nose. That was why they rounded so viciously upon us, removing COLA and even going so far as to place a trading ban on us, despite that we had not broken any rules whatsoever. Now every year that we become more popular, enjoy more on-field success at the expense of GWS or have Buddy celebrated across codes we just rub their noses into it. The AFL will be hoping for a GWS win next weekend. Umpire selection will be interesting.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/afl/2014/05/01/networker-gillon-mclachlan-landed-footys-top-job/

Yep. I remember a number years back Souths were celebrating their best membership in the history of their club...and it was 17k. :huh:

The lack of memberships actually led to the creation of the leagues clubs. Whose sole purpose was to fund the teams.

In fact most leagues clubs have way more members than the football clubs themselves. (Which was the point)

My info comes from my limited understanding of how the Wests Tigers are funded.

I don't believe it. If Collingwood isn't the most supported footy club I'd be surprised. They have supporters everywhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back