2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

so you kick/handball to someone... complete/efficient. Says nothing about the position you have left they next player in.

Fair call, but it does give some indication of at least hitting someone by foot or hand. Some of the guys fail to get the ball to anyone. It was clear against Brisbane the instruction was to move the ball with short kicks and not bomb to Brisbane’s talls. On so many occasions they would do this but be let down by a player panicking and bombing or missing a target.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't see the controversy in saying Brisbane's depth is far, far better than ours. They have players like Bastinac, Christensen, Walker, Cutler in the reserves.

That doesn't mean injuries are irrelevant, it means they have multiple senior proven players that can't get a game while they're sitting well in the top 8

Brisbane's depth a great side effect of being the best drafting team for a half a decade.

Also, kicking long down the line to a contest is an efficient disposal.

Sure when the game plan calls for it. It was clear in the game against Brisbane that was not working so in the second and third quarters they changed to a possession game. They managed to hold brisbane with that approach but then reverted back to long bombs in the last. Brisbane murdered them by fast sling shots out of the half back where they had a massive aerial advantage. In the last quarter Brisbane scored heavily like the first.

Sunday, June 9, 2019
Sydney Swans (3rd) v GIANTS (4th) at Blacktown International Sportspark, 10.30am

SYDNEY
B: 58. N Brewer 60. S Gaden 48. A Watling
HB: 53. K McKellar 47. T Pink 57. R van Huisstede
C: 32. J Bell 50. C Kilpatrick 49. C Hirst
HF: 16. Z Foot 45. S Wicks 56. M Geddes
F: 46. J Amartey 41. H Mclean 55. K McGrath
R: 59. M Knoll 27. J McInerney 25. B Ronke
Int (from): 17. D Cameron 4. R Clarke 2. D Menzel 38. C O'Riordan 1. J Rose 8. J Rowbottom 33. R Stoddart 6. J Thurlow
Emg: 54. C Flanagan 31 S. Eynaud 52. J Pawle 51. R Barkley

In: 4. K McGrath 2. D Menzel 47. T Pink 4. R Clarke 38. C O'Riordan 48. A Watling 6. J Thurlow 41. H Mclean
Out: 55. T Tyson 56. K Martin 54. L Swaney 52. J Pawle 51. R Barkley (all omitted)
New: 6. J Thurlow

Interesting... Clarke, Menzel and COR on the chopping block?

NEAFL derby 3 for the year and I’m pretty keen. In the previous two encounters, Giants have kept us honest early but have not been able to maintain the pace allowing the good guys to post a couple of relatively comfortable wins. Hard to see the trend not continuing, and depending on who gets named for the ones, it could get a little ugly this time for the Oranges. Our boys not handling the soggy conditions, their only hope imo
Keen to welcome the big Grassy and Cody to Sydney... Hayden returns with half a season to make his mark and Toby Pink back in, joins a very elite group of swans to have had a one week injury since Nathan Gibbs left.
Don’t forget... 10.30am Sunday for those attending or even watching the stream

Sunday, June 9, 2019
Sydney Swans (3rd) v GIANTS (4th) at Blacktown International Sportspark, 10.30am

SYDNEY
B: 58. N Brewer 60. S Gaden 48. A Watling
HB: 53. K McKellar 47. T Pink 57. R van Huisstede
C: 32. J Bell 50. C Kilpatrick 49. C Hirst
HF: 16. Z Foot 45. S Wicks 56. M Geddes
F: 46. J Amartey 41. H Mclean 55. K McGrath
R: 59. M Knoll 27. J McInerney 25. B Ronke
Int (from): 17. D Cameron 4. R Clarke 2. D Menzel 38. C O'Riordan 1. J Rose 8. J Rowbottom 33. R Stoddart 6. J Thurlow
Emg: 54. C Flanagan 31 S. Eynaud 52. J Pawle 51. R Barkley

In: 4. K McGrath 2. D Menzel 47. T Pink 4. R Clarke 38. C O'Riordan 48. A Watling 6. J Thurlow 41. H Mclean
Out: 55. T Tyson 56. K Martin 54. L Swaney 52. J Pawle 51. R Barkley (all omitted)
New: 6. J Thurlow

Interesting... Clarke, Menzel and COR on the chopping block?

NEAFL derby 3 for the year and I’m pretty keen. In the previous two encounters, Giants have kept us honest early but have not been able to maintain the pace allowing the good guys to post a couple of relatively comfortable wins. Hard to see the trend not continuing, and depending on who gets named for the ones, it could get a little ugly this time for the Oranges. Our boys not handling the soggy conditions, their only hope imo
Keen to welcome the big Grassy and Cody to Sydney... Hayden returns with half a season to make his mark and Toby Pink back in, joins a very elite group of swans to have had a one week injury since Nathan Gibbs left.
Don’t forget... 10.30am Sunday for those attending or even watching the stream

I note that of the selected side, the Toblerone Pinkster is the only listed player in the backline. I have really admired Mr Pink's transition to the backline. Hope we keep him at VB year's end.

Potentially we will play 3 rucks, Knoll, Cameron and McClean plus a pinch hitter in Amartey.

Lots of top-ups this week.

I note that of the selected side, the Toblerone Pinkster is the only listed player in the backline. I have really admired Mr Pink's transition to the backline. Hope we keep him at VB year's end.

Potentially we will play 3 rucks, Knoll, Cameron and McClean plus a pinch hitter in Amartey.

Pretty sure positions aren't correct.
They have just deleted names from another weeks team sheet, and filled them without any real meaning.

Pretty sure positions aren't correct.
They have just deleted names from another weeks team sheet, and filled them without any real meaning.

Ta. Anyway, I am happy Toby is back. I reckon he has improved each year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really does seem to be on one of those "converted key forward" upward curves doesn't he.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised for the Pinkstar to debut this year as a KPD. He may not be Tom Hawkins, but at neafl level the forwards don’t come much bigger than Keeffe... another victory for Toby on Sunday might just about be enough to put him in the reckoning. Aside from experience, I think one of our glaring weaknesses is that “Reg-type” and Toby is as close as we are gonna get this season.
Really excited for that battle especially after their antics in the last meeting.

Has some respect with your stupid nicknames , if they have real one's call them that .

I think efficiency would be a good stat to have.

so you kick/handball to someone... complete/efficient. Says nothing about the position you have left they next player in.
Also, kicking long down the line to a contest is an efficient disposal.
Maybe a "time in possession after your effecient disposal" type stat?

Comparing the time your side remained in control of the ball after your efficient disposal... could tie that into scoring chains etc.

Maybe a "time in possession after your effecient disposal" type stat?

Comparing the time your side remained in control of the ball after your efficient disposal... could tie that into scoring chains etc.

I'm not sure how accurate that would be though. Malceski delivers a bullet pass off half back down the line, couldn't be a more perfect kick, straight out in front of Buddy, but Buddy can't clunk it and it spills over the line for a throw-in. Is Malceski's elite kick then considered ineffective?

I'm not sure how accurate that would be though. Malceski delivers a bullet pass off half back down the line, couldn't be a more perfect kick, straight out in front of Buddy, but Buddy can't clunk it and it spills over the line for a throw-in. Is Malceski's elite kick then considered ineffective?
Well no stat in the world can tell you it was a perfectly placed bullet pass that was dropped mate. Stats aren't everything obviously...

What interests me is the decision behind that kick. E.g. Was it to an outnumbered position where we are likely to lose possession?

But more-so, "valuing" "effective disposals"... e.g. a completed handball, registered as an effective disposal... but it was a hospital handball OR did it find the player streaming forward & lead to a scoring shot? Etc Etc.

As an example ...

Parker wins the clearance & it goes against his name as a contested possession & effective disposal... the only problem is he passed it out to Kizza who was flatfooted & caught... when he also had Fox free but made the wrong choice. The stats say Parker = awesome, Kizza = tried hard, Fox = useless... when in actual fact Fox did everything right and the poor decision making was from Parker (when the stats say he was "perfect").

Well no stat in the world can tell you it was a perfectly placed bullet pass that was dropped mate. Stats aren't everything obviously...

What interests me is the decision behind that kick. E.g. Was it to an outnumbered position where we are likely to lose possession?

But more-so, "valuing" "effective disposals"... e.g. a completed handball, registered as an effective disposal... but it was a hospital handball OR did it find the player streaming forward & lead to a scoring shot? Etc Etc.

As an example ...

Parker wins the clearance & it goes against his name as a contested possession & effective disposal... the only problem is he passed it out to Kizza who was flatfooted & caught... when he also had Fox free but made the wrong choice. The stats say Parker = awesome, Kizza = tried hard, Fox = useless... when in actual fact Fox did everything right and the poor decision making was from Parker (when the stats say he was "perfect").

Therein lies the problem with stats and why I don't buy into them. Too many variables at play. Your eyeballs are the only real way to judge footy IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back