Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
North West and North coast leagues now aligned with the Swans academy. Great news for us, potentially gives us access to even more top talent in NSW.

Sad really , we should have our traditional Riverina catchment . So many great Swans from there . The other rats should have just been given the west

02FEB22: Paddy McCartin/SEN
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
03FEB22: Swans 2022 Talk/The StatsInsider
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Analysis piece for the upcoming season

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Two articles about Paddy

The 5 minute audio is the basis for the article. The most interesting thing was hearing Josh Jenkins say he doesn't see McCartin as a forward but that he could make it as a back. Jenkins explained McCartin doesn't have enough tricks to play forward - he isn't especially tall or especially fast or exceptionally strong, he works hard but doesn't cover an exceptional amount of ground. I infer that this seems less of an impediment to Paddy succeeding as a backman in Jenkins' opinion.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
The 5 minute audio is the basis for the article. The most interesting thing was hearing Josh Jenkins say he doesn't see McCartin as a forward but that he could make it as a back. Jenkins explained McCartin doesn't have enough tricks to play forward - he isn't especially tall or especially fast or exceptionally strong, he works hard but doesn't cover an exceptional amount of ground. I infer that this seems less of an impediment to Paddy succeeding as a backman in Jenkins' opinion.
Wait till you hear Harley

Tom Harley on SEN now with Kane Cornes
Tom Harley on
- former Swans captain Josh Kennedy: "Josh is one of the most outstanding men I've met in football. It was no surprise how well he spoke to the group yesterday. "He saw his role as captain as developing the next wave, and took that responsibility really seriously."

• on new co-captain Callum Mills: "He's one of the guys who arrives at a footy club at 18 and you can (already) see an aura of leadership. "He's only 24, so he's a bridge between the younger and older fellas. He knows when to have a good time and when to knuckle down."
  • "I came through a one-captaincy model and you only know what you know, but when I first arrived at the Swans we had multiple captains. "I've been impressed by the way the co-captaincy has worked. It doesn't mean it's infinite. You play with the cards you've got."
  • on signing Paddy McCartin: "This is the result of the best part of two years of working with Paddy and the experts, hitting the milestones. "(We've been) ensuring all parties, being Paddy, his family, the club, the AFL, are comfortable with where things are at."
  • on the cost of living in Sydney: "It's a beautiful and prosperous place to live but getting your foot in the door is becoming more challenging. "As far as reinstatement of COLA, I won't even go there... but we'll exhaust every cent we've got (in the salary cap)."

Another article on Paddy
Before being handed a hefty suspension, McCartin showed glimpses of his ball magnet abilities in matches against the GWS and Gold Coast VFL sides; collecting 18 and 21 disposals consecutively.

His dynamic ability for a big man was what got him drafted as the top pick 2014, the talent is undoubtedly there, it’ll be a question as to whether McCartin can keep himself from further concussion issues.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Someone needs to do their research a little better, talk about him playing forward when all indications are he'll be playing the majority of this time down back.
thought the article was pretty spot on. Spoke about him playing at both ends.
His age size and maturity do give him an advantage over the young talls, especially in 2023 if Buddy retires and Paddy plays some good footy,, but our needs may be for him down back.
Last year Horse ( or Laidler.. cant remember) said the Swans initially played him back just so he could get the feel of the game once again. His strengths, as articulated in the article have him suited to both ends. I reckon it will be a needs based decision (determined by injury / player mgt) as to where he plays.. And Kinnear said it great to have that as an option.
He did kick 3 goals 2 in his 1st game as a forward in 3 years.. not a bad effort
I still dont get why everyone on this board is so certain he will play back? the coaches, Kinnear and Gardiner have all said otherwise (either end).

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
thought the article was pretty spot on. Spoke about him playing at both ends.
His age size and maturity do give him an advantage over the young talls, especially in 2023 if Buddy retires and Paddy plays some good footy,, but our needs may be for him down back.
Last year Horse ( or Laidler.. cant remember) said the Swans initially played him back just so he could get the feel of the game once again. His strengths, as articulated in the article have him suited to both ends. I reckon it will be a needs based decision (determined by injury / player mgt) as to where he plays.. And Kinnear said it great to have that as an option.
He did kick 3 goals 2 in his 1st game as a forward in 3 years.. not a bad effort
I still dont get why everyone on this board is so certain he will play back? the coaches, Kinnear and Gardiner have all said otherwise (either end).
For one I still see KPD as the biggest hole in our list with only Tom and Lewis as serious contenders to fill it with Dane starting to fade.
Happy to be proved wrong but I can't see any of the current KPFs have any defender buzz about them.
Some might say Joel but he was tried before without much success in the NEAFL.
Let's see where Paddy lines up in the VFL.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
For one I still see KPD as the biggest hole in our list with only Tom and Lewis as serious contenders to fill it with Dane starting to fade.
Happy to be proved wrong but I can't see any of the current KPFs have any defender buzz about them.
Some might say Joel but he was tried before without much success in the NEAFL.
Let's see where Paddy lines up in the VFL.
sure, we may have a greater need down back.. Everyone keeps saying that.
Look at 2023.. Theres a good chance Buddy retires leaving McLean (who imo has a limited ceiling.. Im still a fan of his), Amartey who's a forward/ruck and Logan.. all of which will still be young and won't want to be taking on the best KPDs week in week out. Paddy may thrive in taking on the best KPDs,, and at the same time protect the younger tall forward.
but yep, we'll see see where he plays in the VFL, and if he stays healthy, we'll see where he plays over his career.
I simply dont believe hes limited to only playing back. I base this on what Ive heard the coaches + Kinnear + Gardiner say, also he played forward last year and did well, also he was drafted as a forward

sorry.. prob wrong thread

I can predict how Heeney's "breakout year" will be regarded.

He'll either have 20+ possessions every week but "not kick enough goals", or he'll kick plenty of goals but "not get enough possessions."

Anyone expecting him to do both every week is literally expecting him to be Leigh Matthews in his prime (not that I saw him, but I have seen some of his figures.)

He'll never please some fans.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

He'll either have 20+ possessions every week but "not kick enough goals", or he'll kick plenty of goals but "not get enough possessions."

Anyone expecting him to do both every week is literally expecting him to be Leigh Matthews in his prime (not that I saw him, but I have seen some of his figures.)

I'd rather have the latter. I think he will play majority midfield but some forward. Hopefully more forward than midfield. But the side needs him in the midfield THIS year. Maybe there are forward debuts that need to happen. Rookies need blooding. Who knows.

I'd rather have the latter. I think he will play majority midfield but some forward. Hopefully more forward than midfield. But the side needs him in the midfield THIS year. Maybe there are forward debuts that need to happen. Rookies need blooding. Who knows.

I'm not convinced that we need him in the midfield tbh. Wrong thread for it anyhow, but my point stands that people will complain about Heeney and say he isn't living up to his potential as long as he is not the greatest player to ever play the game.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not convinced that we need him in the midfield tbh. Wrong thread for it anyhow, but my point stands that people will complain about Heeney and say he isn't living up to his potential as long as he is not the greatest player to ever play the game.
I agree. Heeney is the most damaging forward who is not small or tall. Why move him to the midfield where he is like a lot of players. But the side may need him there as he is crowding out the forward line. Maybe Sheldrick needs space to shine!! And next year they switch back !!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

Your maturity is fantastic , keep up the great work . That's my opinion , not a lecture , before the haters come .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back