Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Hayward was interviewed on SEN Sydney this morning by rugby league boofs. I can't work out how to link it. He was asked at the end about returning to Adelaide but he played it with a straight bat.

Will Hayward was interviewed on SEN Sydney this morning by rugby league boofs. I can't work out how to link it. He was asked at the end about returning to Adelaide but he played it with a straight bat.
Here you go:

Joey still not convinced of the Swans forward line 13:55 mins into video

I get it...

But we have scored 728 points through 7 rounds averaging 104 for and 70.3 against.

Edit for context:

Teamoff rankdef rank
Cats44
Swans22
Gws16
Dee 91
Port58
Blues314
Dons 1012
Freo113

Last edited:
I get it...

But we have scored 728 points through 7 rounds averaging 104 for and 70.3 against.

We've also played some reasonably easy teams. This week will be fascinating.

Can't wait

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office
Can't wait to hear him say "you know" and "their ability to" 47 times a sentence

We've also played some reasonably easy teams. This week will be fascinating.

Sure have.

But so have other teams with following teams playing top 8 competitors

Cats - blues (1-0)
Swans - Melb and dons (2-0)
Gws - Blues (0-1)
Melb - swans, port (1-1)
Port - melb, freo and dons (2-1)
Blues - Cats, freo and Gws (2-1)
Dons - swans, port (0-2)
Freo - port, blues (0-2)

Swans only other team to face a top four.

And a bottom four table. Looks softer for us but we lost to richmond soooo...

Cats - hawks, north
Swans - wce, rich, hawks
Gws - north, WCE
Melb- hawks, rich
Port - wce, rich
Blues - rich, north
Dons - hawks
Freo - north, wce

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans star Errol Gulden admits this week’s blockbuster Sydney derby against fellow flag contender GWS will have more feeling in it than a regular match.

Video clip:

Actually think it may be hard to get a read on this week with he predicted weather.

I suppose I more mean coming up against another 'contender'. GWS/Geelong/Carlton are the other three I'd see as top 4 rivals and we haven't played any of them yet.

I'm finding all this statistical analysis from Champion Data and from the likes of King particularly garbled this season. I reckon part of the problem is trying to draw conclusions from a small sample of games, especially when so few of the teams near the top have played each other, and where conditions are different in each game.

A couple of weeks ago we were apparently very easy to score against. Yet, right now, we have the second best defensive record in the competition.

We were also poor in clearances, yet in Hoyne's latest piece he says we're second best from clearances. (He wasn't explicit but I suspect he meant at creating scores from clearance, rather than raw clearance numbers themselves.) He then said our problems start away from clearance, before going on to say we're one of the best at ball movement. None of it is very coherent.

He's concerned at our reliance on uncontested marks. But maybe we're taking a lot of uncontested marks this year because our opponents are letting us. The one team that didn't was Richmond, but our ability to adapt to the pressure they brought wasn't the only reason we lost that game. Our own pressure was also down on where it generally is.

He lauds Geelong's simplicity of style, with them having moved away from trying to control the ball in favour of moving the ball quickly and being happy to kick down the line to contests. But they are a taller, bigger team than us, with more overhead marking prowess. We'd be awful if that was our main way of moving the ball forward.

I reckon the worst a team can do is try to play a style that isn't suited to their assets. And the next worst is only having one way to play. I don't think we really know how adaptable the Swans' game style is yet, but we'll find out as we play against different teams and in different conditions. There was a lot of chipping around on Sunday, but I haven't got the impression that's something we've relied on too much this year. If anything, the likes of Errol and Blakey can be prone to take on the high risk kicks too often and, when they don't come off, expose an out of position to defence.

I've watched the replay of the Hawks game and there were many aspects of the game where I don't think we played very well at all. The defence was solid but also helped by the Hawks' inability to convert straightforward shots. The midfield was a bit meh for most of the match, though their pressure was excellent, especially in the first half. The forward line got the job done with ease, but it feels like it was more individual talent rather than system that was responsible for the majority of the games. And yet we still won by 12 goals, so can't really complain. It's the kind of game that, a few years back, we'd have won by 20 or so point.

I'm finding all this statistical analysis from Champion Data and from the likes of King particularly garbled this season. I reckon part of the problem is trying to draw conclusions from a small sample of games, especially when so few of the teams near the top have played each other, and where conditions are different in each game.

A couple of weeks ago we were apparently very easy to score against. Yet, right now, we have the second best defensive record in the competition.

We were also poor in clearances, yet in Hoyne's latest piece he says we're second best from clearances. (He wasn't explicit but I suspect he meant at creating scores from clearance, rather than raw clearance numbers themselves.) He then said our problems start away from clearance, before going on to say we're one of the best at ball movement. None of it is very coherent.

He's concerned at our reliance on uncontested marks. But maybe we're taking a lot of uncontested marks this year because our opponents are letting us. The one team that didn't was Richmond, but our ability to adapt to the pressure they brought wasn't the only reason we lost that game. Our own pressure was also down on where it generally is.

He lauds Geelong's simplicity of style, with them having moved away from trying to control the ball in favour of moving the ball quickly and being happy to kick down the line to contests. But they are a taller, bigger team than us, with more overhead marking prowess. We'd be awful if that was our main way of moving the ball forward.

I reckon the worst a team can do is try to play a style that isn't suited to their assets. And the next worst is only having one way to play. I don't think we really know how adaptable the Swans' game style is yet, but we'll find out as we play against different teams and in different conditions. There was a lot of chipping around on Sunday, but I haven't got the impression that's something we've relied on too much this year. If anything, the likes of Errol and Blakey can be prone to take on the high risk kicks too often and, when they don't come off, expose an out of position to defence.

I've watched the replay of the Hawks game and there were many aspects of the game where I don't think we played very well at all. The defence was solid but also helped by the Hawks' inability to convert straightforward shots. The midfield was a bit meh for most of the match, though their pressure was excellent, especially in the first half. The forward line got the job done with ease, but it feels like it was more individual talent rather than system that was responsible for the majority of the games. And yet we still won by 12 goals, so can't really complain. It's the kind of game that, a few years back, we'd have won by 20 or so point.

The data is interesting but for me the eye test is just far more important. Amartey’s backhander knock on was vital to Wicksy’s first goal but does CD count let alone rank it. Unfortunately the telly is really limited and nothing replaces being at the game and using one’s eyes.

Accept I am a dinosaur.

I suppose I more mean coming up against another 'contender'. GWS/Geelong/Carlton are the other three I'd see as top 4 rivals and we haven't played any of them yet.

I dont know about others but myself i can summarize as this week will tell a story but not everything.

I have this nagging reservation of this team in a big final at the MCG and how we cope when space and time is very limited.

Sucks i know but oh well just my thoughts ive been wrong many times.

I dont know about others but myself i can summarize as this week will tell a story but not everything.

I have this nagging reservation of this team in a big final at the MCG and how we cope when space and time is very limited.

Sucks i know but oh well just my thoughts ive been wrong many times.

Didn't we comfortably account for the Dees at the MCG 2 years ago and lose to the Blues there by a goal last year? I don't really have concerns about the G as a ground.

Spot on Liz.

IMO the weekly format required of footy media creates this kind of transactional thinking. Pundits are supposed to have expertise but it's hard to offer much when all they have to go on is a team's most recent game or two. It kinda undermines their "expertise" because they're just reacting to the weekend's results, rather than having a substantial sample of games to form a realised opinion. Experts should be offering more foresight than reactions and I think having them on air once a month, rather than once a week, would allow them to be less reactive and form stronger, less-flakey opinions.

Though the flip-side of course, is every time a pundit actually does have a realised opinion based on larger sample sizes, and sticks to it - Gerard Whateley and Leigh Montagna come to mind - fans complain about them ignoring that weekend's result.

Didn't we comfortably account for the Dees at the MCG 2 years ago and lose to the Blues there by a goal last year? I don't really have concerns about the G as a ground.

Yer of course maybe its just a really bad experience a few weeks later finally getting through Gate 1 for the nosebleed seats at Q34 only to sit down and the game is essentially over.

Spot on Liz.

IMO the weekly format required of footy media creates this kind of transactional thinking. Pundits are supposed to have expertise but it's hard to offer much when all they have to go on is a team's most recent game or two. It kinda undermines their "expertise" because they're just reacting to the weekend's results, rather than having a substantial sample of games to form a realised opinion. Experts should be offering more foresight than reactions and I think having them on air once a month, rather than once a week, would allow them to be less reactive and form stronger, less-flakey opinions.

Though the flip-side of course, is every time a pundit actually does have a realised opinion based on larger sample sizes, and sticks to it - Gerard Whateley and Leigh Montagna come to mind - fans complain about them ignoring that weekend's result.

Yer Liz is a great poster so articulate in her reasoning the flip flopping that King does especially is wild if we beat GWS this week he will be back on board

Yer Liz is a great poster so articulate in her reasoning the flip flopping that King does especially is wild if we beat GWS this week he will be back on board

I'm not convinced he will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back