Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I don't care what the media says as they just say things to get clicks or eyeballs. It's all about revenue, so they say things whether they believe it or not, knowing that the news cycle is less than 24 hours these days, so whatever they say now is forgotten by this time tomorrow.
I am more interested in winning actual games than the media praising us, so I'm not sure why people get upset if a particular pundit rates us or not.
Are there dubious critics not rating us as much as I do?

Personally, I don't care what the media says as they just say things to get clicks or eyeballs. It's all about revenue, so they say things whether they believe it or not, knowing that the news cycle is less than 24 hours these days, so whatever they say now is forgotten by this time tomorrow.
I am more interested in winning actual games than the media praising us, so I'm not sure why people get upset if a particular pundit rates us or not.
I don't particularly care how they rate us. I guess I'm just curious to know how we stack up, and statistics are a small but valuable part of that. To semi-quote someone earlier in the thread, they tell us about the 20% than we can't quite work out by watching the games. But I have no idea what we're doing well that matters, and what we're not doing that well that matters, because the story they weave around the numbers changes every week.

Maybe I just need to stop paying attention to their analysis, and stop expecting to get any insights into what we're doing.

I don't particularly care how they rate us. I guess I'm just curious to know how we stack up, and statistics are a small but valuable part of that. To semi-quote someone earlier in the thread, they tell us about the 20% than we can't quite work out by watching the games. But I have no idea what we're doing well that matters, and what we're not doing that well that matters, because the story they weave around the numbers changes every week.

Maybe I just need to stop paying attention to their analysis, and stop expecting to get any insights into what we're doing.
At the risk of teaching my sister to suck eggs, some statistics and some commentators are more valuable than others.
Personally, I quite like when intelligent analysis is carried out on specific tactics we use, such as in our defensive set-up, 45° penetrating kicks and so on that don't show up on stats. There are only a few such as Buckley capable of doing this effectively.
Stats wise I note that we try to get more bang for buck from each possession than most clubs. Trying to move the ball forward rather than back or sideways. I haven't seen analysis but I wouldn't mind betting that we would be #1 or 2 for metres gained per possession.
I wouldn't stop.

I would add that it is an imperative that we improve our tackling capability across the park. Tackles must not only stick but be able to stop handballs getting out. They must hit the tackling bags / weights hard a few weeks out from finals.

Very keen to see how our skinny kids go against the barrel chested gorillas of Geelong. Heeney, Wicks, Rowie and Parker can lead the way. This is also why we need Mills.

Can not allow us to get bullied around the ball again esp in grand finals.

I think we can get there but we need to prioritise this.
It's not the barrel chested gorillas of Geelong I am most concerned about. It is those of the Giants that give me greater concerns. The reality is that our game relies upon precision kicking and given good conditions I believe we have the capacity to tear any side apart with that. That will not happen this week. With rain all week and up to 40mm on the day if we try to play our normal game of hitting targets with precision kicking we will concede more turnovers than targets hit.
As a result, this game will come down to little more than a slog where skills will be at an all time low. Just getting the ball forward will be the one and only priority and the barrel chested gorillas (giants) that you refer to may prove to be a little more difficult to overcome as a result.
No matter who wins this game, very little should be taken from it as to who is the better team as the game played in dry conditions, which should be the norm, will be completely different.

pretty sure it wasn't king, but there was a comment in one of those "rankings" columns a week or so ago that "even if the giants lose to sydney" they're a legitimate contender ... yet further down the same column, all we got was more questions and doubts ...
so, no, i don't expect many of them to jump on board when we beat the giants ...
and what makes all of that negativity more difficult to comprehend is that we were pretty much the darlings of the league the first three weeks ...
That's what losing to Richmond at the G will do to you.

It's interesting to see McCartin get some recognition. His is not a name often thrown about in AA discussions, and it still remains to be seen how he'll fare against the best tall forwards. His poorest game of the year was against Richmond, which might land up being the only good game that Tom Lynch plays all year. (Not due to other opponents, but due to injury curtailing him yet again.)

My biggest beef with the team is the bench. All the players named are high quality players having great seasons, but they all play similar roles in their teams - that of the number one midfield contested ball winner. They should be competing amongst themselves (and with the likes of Heeney and Merrett and Petracca) for two or three bench spots alongside the starting on-ball spots to allow a bit more variation across the bench.
I prefer the excess of midfielders on the bench to where they normally get put - half forward flanks.

Last edited:
At the risk of teaching my sister to suck eggs, some statistics and some commentators are more valuable than others.
Personally, I quite like when intelligent analysis is carried out on specific tactics we use, such as in our defensive set-up, 45° penetrating kicks and so on that don't show up on stats. There are only a few such as Buckley capable of doing this effectively.
Stats wise I note that we try to get more bang for buck from each possession than most clubs. Trying to move the ball forward rather than back or sideways. I haven't seen analysis but I wouldn't mind betting that we would be #1 or 2 for metres gained per possession.
I wouldn't stop.
Why would you want to teach your sister to suck eggs? You're not Tasmanian, are you?

Buckley is a breath of fresh air. He thinks before he speaks and he keeps his hands where we can all see them.

Most footy pundits are just "Carlton, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, aaaah" and "GWS, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, aaaaah"

I get tired of being told only Carlton or GWS can win the flag. Though to be fair, they include Geelong sometimes now.

"Geelong, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, aaaaah"

HELLO Melbourne Media. Can you not SEE us?

When we run over the top of GWS this weekend the only mention we'll get in the Melbourne press will be the Wicks saga.

Wicked Wicks in Swanny Snub as Putrid Players are Forced to Frolic

"I've never seen such an over-the-top celebration for a goal", says some wan&er has-been. "Even if he did kick four, it's clear the Wicks saga is set to further de-rail the Swans fragile start to the season.

"Horse needs to contain it", says another wan&er has-been.

"They're no chance to make the finals", pipes in the cameraman

"Huh?"

"That's your next line"

"Oh, I see" "They're no chance to make the finals"

"Let's talk about who can make finals", says the first clown

"Carlton, GWS and Geelong?"

02MAY24: Tom Papley interview/ SEN Sydney New
Tom Papley on SEN Sydney (Tuesday)

01MAY24: Dean Cox interview/RSN New
Dean Cox on RSN Breakfast this morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want to teach your sister to suck eggs? You're not Tasmanian, are you?

Buckley is a breath of fresh air. He thinks before he speaks and he keeps his hands where we can all see them.

Most footy pundits are just "Carlton, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, aaaah" and "GWS, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, aaaaah"

I get tired of being told only Carlton or GWS can win the flag. Though to be fair, they include Geelong sometimes now.

"Geelong, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, aaaaah"

HELLO Melbourne Media. Can you not SEE us?

When we run over the top of GWS this weekend the only mention we'll get in the Melbourne press will be the Wicks saga.

Wicked Wicks in Swanny Snub as Putrid Players are Forced to Frolic

"I've never seen such an over-the-top celebration for a goal", says some wan&er has-been. "Even if he did kick four, it's clear the Wicks saga is set to further de-rail the Swans fragile start to the season.

"Horse needs to contain it", says another wan&er has-been.

"They're no chance to make the finals", pipes in the cameraman

"Huh?"

"That's your next line"

"Oh, I see" "They're no chance to make the finals"

"Let's talk about who can make finals", says the first clown

"Carlton, GWS and Geelong?"
It happens every year how are you surprised or saddened by this. It's normal but we will also be everyone's sleeper or dark horse. Get used it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brenton Sanderson at around 10.30 on SENs Vicar of Whately show gave a terrific preview of the Bloods and Giants game with some decent analysis of both teams .

Oof. Fox doubling down on the Sydney banter..

The dirty little secret of Sydney’s 6-1 start is they haven’t played anybody since mid-March.

That's a disgraceful and disrespectful thing to write.
So, last week's win by GWS over the Lions was the win of the year??? Really??? Says whom??? Does whomever it is realise that the Lions are currently 13th on the ladder with a terrible percentage??? I realise they were missing some really important players, but I'd think most teams missing the likes of Parker, Mills and Rampe might be considered under strength too.
I reckon our demolition of the Suns the week before was more impressive.

I cannot believe he removed the snail trail...It's like men no longer want to be masculine!

Following a snail trail down... hmm sexy!

Oops! forgot where I was... :embarrassedv1:
Can we get a mop and a bucket on aisle 5?

Oof. Fox doubling down on the Sydney banter..

The dirty little secret of Sydney’s 6-1 start is they haven’t played anybody since mid-March.

And Geelong is premiership favourite because of its results:

Round 1 St Kilda by 8 points
Round 2 Adelaide by 19
Round 3 Hawthorn by 36
Round 4 Bulldogs by 4
Round 5 lolNorth by 75
Round 6 Brisbane by 26 in a monsoon
Round 7 Carlton by 13 at Kardinia Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back