Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it doesn't count as a bye? Wtf?

Surely even one eyed Swans supporters can acknowledge that a bye 5 weeks into the season is more beneficial than a bye in the first round. In fact a bye in the first round is a DISADVANTAGE since you're starting cold against a side that's already had a game.

They are running out of angles to dismiss us.

They are running out of angles to dismiss us.

Yeah King definitely was struggling to justify questioning our credentials "What if over the last few weeks the mids stop playing quite as well?" Gee whiz well if the team stops playing as well then yeah we might not play as well. What riveting analysis.

But the criticism of the bye is spot on and claiming that everyone gets two byes is pure rubbish. The best way to balance it would be the teams that played in Round 0 get a Bye around Round 15-16 and the teams that didn't play Round 0 get a Bye around 10-11.

Surely even one eyed Swans supporters can acknowledge that a bye 5 weeks into the season is more beneficial than a bye in the first round. In fact a bye in the first round is a DISADVANTAGE since you're starting cold against a side that's already had a game.
If it's a disadvantage to start cold against a side that has already had a bye, doesn't that make it a disadvantage first game after TWO byes when you play a team that played the week before?

I'm only being half-serious, but I know plenty of Swans fans who have bemoaned our awful record over the years returning after a bye. And it's not just us. Geelong are typically awful after a bye, and I think more teams lose than win immediately after a bye.

If it's a disadvantage to start cold against a side that has already had a bye, doesn't that make it a disadvantage first game after TWO byes when you play a team that played the week before?

I'm only being half-serious, but I know plenty of Swans fans who have bemoaned our awful record over the years returning after a bye. And it's not just us. Geelong are typically awful after a bye, and I think more teams lose than win immediately after a bye.
Long term though it's more beneficial. As an example though if the Dogs had the bye next week rather than us, then Richards and Scott are fine to play their next game off their concussions. The Dogs have played from Round 1 all the way through with no break, we've already had a break, and we've now got another break before most other teams have even had one break.

I know you said you're only being half-serious but you're basically agreeing that teams starting in Round 1 were playing 'off the bye' but didn't get the benefits a bye normally gives - i.e. being able to rest sore bodies and recover from a block of games. Which was an advantage that Round 0 teams got.

To be honest I don't think having a bye at round 5 is exactly a leg up, but yes, definitely better than having one in the opening round & then waiting until round 15 or so for your next.

Typical AFL though, there are so many easy solutions to this problem they could have opted for but as usual, the integrity of the competition comes 2nd to viewership and revenue.

It's all about the Chad

Paywalled:

Kane still raising the Grundy to Sydney trade 🤣 keep him in the VFL and pay him $$

Two Herald Sun articles:
Game review:

Pridham talks about an opening game next year against the Pies

Sun Brekkie:

Chad is good
Complaints about the bye (Ignoring we have had travel 5 times already this year)
Concerns about our talls
Cornes on Grundy... keep him in the VFL as backup
Heeney, do not think he can continue in mids (out of petrol tickets and health)
From a caller, byes bad m'kay
Horse - extend him?

Sun Brekkie:

Chad is good
Complaints about the bye (Ignoring we have had travel 5 times already this year)
Concerns about our talls
Cornes on Grundy... keep him in the VFL as backup
Heeney, do not think he can continue in mids (out of petrol tickets and health)
From a caller, byes bad m'kay
Horse - extend him?
You get whiplash listening. They did mention the other teams oh so briefly re the byes but its a ridiculous theory. What about the fact that after this bye we have no weeks off until the Finals?

You get whiplash listening. They did mention the other teams oh so briefly re the byes but its a ridiculous theory. What about the fact that after this bye we have no weeks off until the Finals?

ssshhh, you'll be accused of making excuses
which we won't need, of course ...

I think it's relatively clear we've gotten an advantage with the structure of the byes this season. I think it would be foolish to suggest our relatively good record with injuries this season doesn't have something to do with the rest and recuperation that our players have had.

We get a week off before Finals, as do all teams.

I think it's relatively clear we've gotten an advantage with the structure of the byes this season. I think it would be foolish to suggest our relatively good record with injuries this season doesn't have something to do with the rest and recuperation that our players have had.

Yes, not everything has to see us circle the fort and declare the media out to get us. Sometimes we can just acknowledge we got a bit of luck in the way the draw panned out for us. It doesn't make our season any less commendable or mean you have to enjoy it any less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought King's comments after the game were just fine. We've been flying off the back of a couple of blokes in Heeney and Warner playing at near unprecedented levels for each of them. The periods in games where we've truly fired are when they have run riot.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if they can maintain that pace as neither of them have carried this load before. It doesn't mean they can't and it doesn't mean we don't have winners elsewhere on the ground if they drop off a bit, but King literally called it a "tiny, tiny question".

I thought King's comments after the game were just fine. We've been flying off the back of a couple of blokes in Heeney and Warner playing at near unprecedented levels for each of them. The periods in games where we've truly fired are when they have run riot.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if they can maintain that pace as neither of them have carried this load before. It doesn't mean they can't and it doesn't mean we don't have winners elsewhere on the ground if they drop off a bit, but King literally called it a "tiny, tiny question".
Heeney on 7 said he was a bit tired

Yes, not everything has to see us circle the fort and declare the media out to get us. Sometimes we can just acknowledge we got a bit of luck in the way the draw panned out for us. It doesn't make our season any less commendable or mean you have to enjoy it any less.
We aren't the only team that gets the advantage though but it seems like the media love talking about us and then barely mention the other teams who have the same advantage.

We aren't the only team that gets the advantage though but it seems like the media love talking about us and then barely mention the other teams who have the same advantage.

Probably because those teams aren't top of the ladder due to other factors? The point is that it helps us consolidate our position top of the ladder.

If it is such an advantage maybe the other teams should be higher?

Who said it was 'such' an advantage? No one's saying it's why we're first, just that it's an advantage we, in first, have over a lot of the chasing pack. As I said earlier, it is ok occasionally to acknowledge cards dealt in our favour.

Who said it was 'such' an advantage? No one's saying it's why we're first, just that it's an advantage we, in first, have over a lot of the chasing pack. As I said earlier, it is ok occasionally to acknowledge cards dealt in our favour.
Fine how about when they talk about the whole bye advantage they talk about all teams who get it as a general discussion. If it was Collingwood in our position you really think they would harp on it that much. Would probably hardly come up.

Fine how about when they talk about the whole bye advantage they talk about all teams who get it as a general discussion. If it was Collingwood in our position you really think they would harp on it that much. Would probably hardly come up.

Because they were talking about us and mentioned it in relation to us. I don't get it. People complain we don't get talked about enough and when we get focussed on people complain that the media's focussing on us too much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back