Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched that and had I not been sitting on a nice, deep, comfy leather sofa, I'd have fallen off my chair. From Montagna of all people, who even a week ago was still turning his nose up at us.

I think maybe he's trying a reverse mozz. He's been talking us down all season and we show no sign of cracking. Every team he (and King) have talked up have then gone on a dive - Carlton, GWS, Geelong. So maybe they think talking us up will create cosmic waves that change our trajectory too.
I think we defy their expectations on what a good football team is. They continue to look for the big leading forward like Cameron, McKay etc or dominant backmen with the likes of May/Lever.

But this Swans group more than any for a while play TEAM. In offence & defense and all the places in between. Our midfielders kicking a huge amount of goals is uncommon and their impact & influence in score involvements is throwing their preconceived ideas out the window.

It's taken them sometime to acknowledge that I think.

I think we defy their expectations on what a good football team is. They continue to look for the big leading forward like Cameron, McKay etc or dominant backmen with the likes of May/Lever.

But this Swans group more than any for a while play TEAM. In offence & defense and all the places in between. Our midfielders kicking a huge amount of goals is uncommon and their impact & influence in score involvements is throwing their preconceived ideas out the window.

I think you are too kind.

Any Victorian team is performing like we are, they are the lead story on every one of these football shows and journo columns and would have been for most of the year.

I think it's relatively clear we've gotten an advantage with the structure of the byes this season. I think it would be foolish to suggest our relatively good record with injuries this season doesn't have something to do with the rest and recuperation that our players have had.
Our bye structure is basically the same as Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond. If Collingwood were sitting on top of the ladder instead of us, there would be not a word spoken about the bye "advantage". The rest and recouperation from the round 6 bye hasn't helped Richmond much!
I would much prefer to have had our second bye in round 15 rather than 12.

As funny as it is to say, I do think we've benefitted a huge amount from luck of the draw. Playing the Pies before they settled into the season, Weitering and Naughton going down for Carlton and the Dogs, playing the Bombers before they got up and running (granted they then lost to Port by 70 before they came good), really only the Eagles was 'bad' timing, getting them after they started coming good. We've also been very fortunate with injuries.
We also played and lost to Richmond on the one and only week that they had 95% of their team available. Since then they have shrivelled down to about 35% available and become an even easier win than North.

Harley has said just now on radio they are contesting the severity of the ban, not a rule of law.

He said ‘We would have accepted four, but we think 6 is disproportionate to Luke’s actions’.
LOL! With all the mania going on atm, my initial reaction to this was “why is Harley Reid talking about us contesting the Parker ruling??” 🤷‍♂️😂

Sleepily watching the Sunday footy show and I swear they've covered the Essendon Vs Richmond game twice now. And filled up about five minutes of in-jokes between them showing memes and clips referencing each other (which are EXTREMELY unfunny and for some reason the panel is nearly crying laughing at).

There's gotta be some statistical evidence showing that swans are a ratings killer. Because ignoring us just seems to be very deliberate.
It really should be called The Sunday Comedy Show as there is double the amount of time spent on making each other look stupid than football discussion. In the past, you could always guarantee that they would give a brief 1-2 minute precis on every match prior to going into their favourite segment where they simply put shit on each other. Now, they will talk about 4 of the 6 games and completely ignore two of them.
It is an absolute disgrace that the holders of the AFL broadcasting rights in channel 7 cannot put together a show on a Sunday morning allowing this garbage to be the only "supposed" football show at that time. I just go for a walk now on Sunday morning and then listen to SEN's crunch time at 11 followed by the ABC's footy show at 12.

Sleepily watching the Sunday footy show and I swear they've covered the Essendon Vs Richmond game twice now. And filled up about five minutes of in-jokes between them showing memes and clips referencing each other (which are EXTREMELY unfunny and for some reason the panel is nearly crying laughing at).

There's gotta be some statistical evidence showing that swans are a ratings killer. Because ignoring us just seems to be very deliberate.
Even Foxtel has done the dirty on us. I looked for the ‘mini game’ version of our win against the Dogs and couldn’t bloody find it! I think we’re the only game that doesn’t have one? 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really should be called The Sunday Comedy Show as there is double the amount of time spent on making each other look stupid than football discussion. In the past, you could always guarantee that they would give a brief 1-2 minute precis on every match prior to going into their favourite segment where they simply put shit on each other. Now, they will talk about 4 of the 6 games and completely ignore two of them.
It is an absolute disgrace that the holders of the AFL broadcasting rights in channel 7 cannot put together a show on a Sunday morning allowing this garbage to be the only "supposed" football show at that time. I just go for a walk now on Sunday morning and then listen to SEN's crunch time at 11 followed by the ABC's footy show at 12.
Just watch The Round So Far.

I think its even deeper than that.. I dont think they understand how we're winning, and therefore cant describe or analyse it.. They love drawing little circles around players and arrows where they run to find space etc.. but the Swans attack and defence is a bit more complex than a gun mid kicking to a gun tall forward, or a gun defender positioning himself perfectly to intercept.
I honestly dont think King or Montagna know how the Swans keep winning

Today was an ass licking little piece stating some very obvious and 'in your face' stats (probably as a result of the criticism the Swans fans are giving the media). There was no insight or anything

Ps.. the amount of times Ive read or heard the media acknowledge the disscontempt of Swans fans due the lack of media coverage is huge!
Good on you Swans fans

I think its even deeper than that.. I dont think they understand how we're winning, and therefore cant describe or analyse it.. They love drawing little circles around players and arrows where they run to find space etc.. but the Swans attack and defence is a bit more complex than a gun mid kicking to a gun tall forward, or a gun defender positioning himself perfectly to intercept.
I honestly dont think King or Montagna know how the Swans keep winning

Today was an ass licking little piece stating some very obvious and 'in your face' stats (probably as a result of the criticism the Swans fans are giving the media). There was no insight or anything

Ps.. the amount of times Ive read or heard the media acknowledge the disscontempt of Swans fans due the lack of media coverage is huge!
Good on you Swans fans
I honestly have no idea whether what we do is harder to analyse and assess than what other (good) teams do. The TV analysts love showing isolated examples of a behind-the-goals view of a play to show how a team structures up or moves during one particular play, but I'm never quite sure if they're cherry-picking to make themselves look clever that they can analyse (post hoc) something that worked, or if what they show are representative of other plays during a game (or across games).

I do sense a frustration (especially from King) that no-one is trying to tag any Heeney, Warner and Gulden. He seems to attribute a lot of what we're doing to the individual brilliance of those three. Maybe today's First Crack psalm to the Swans was about trying to goad other teams into giving it a go. Though of course, maybe some have already tried but just not done it very well.

If teams want to tag two of Heeney/Warner/Gulden they can go ahead, Blakey or McInerney or Wicks or Paps will tear them apart instead.

I can’t complain. I want them talking about us and they are. We deserve it.

It is amusing to think "oh just tag Heeney and Warner" like no team has considered that and that the Swans haven’t already considered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because you tag someone doesn't mean you take them out.

From memory Miller was tagging Heeney in the Suns game. Didn't make much of a difference
Touk was Erol for the first half and the tag was taken off in the second half.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

27MAY24: Swans Daily Media New

Pridham talks about:
1) Longmire can make the call on stay/go
2) Club continue to increase its engagement with Indigenous community
3) Best of 3 GFs
"I'm yet to hear a good reason why you wouldn't have a best of three Grand Final series," he said. "Maybe if we played a Grand Final in Sydney , we could buy some of the Melbourne clubs business seats to fly up. I would make sure they have 13 Business Class seats." 🤣 🤣

Chad's contract talks On Hold - X posted to Player thread please take your talk there for this one

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back