Sports Sydney 2000 Olympic Games: 20th Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

great call – aside from the classic torch they generally used a variation of until Atlanta 96 (coincidentally the shittest torch and shittest Olympics), the Sydney 2000 torch has to be the most iconic. that sort of retrofuturist sort of thing just felt really sleek and modern and summed up the outlook of the games and the optimism of that era.

Australia really f’ed up its potential, didn't it?

Liberal Government for 18 of the last 24 years. In retrospect, if enough people were voting for that the ****ed potential was wholly predictable. Optimism, open-mindedness, creativity, looking to the future and not a colonial past, anything that wouldn't fit in an episode of The Block, gets thrown in the bin.

Last edited:
It's one thing supporting it in preliminary stages. Quite another doing it when a bill will come due.

Olympics are awarded years out. 'The winner is, Syd-a-ney' was 1993. The AOC and federal govt were on board well before that.

Current PM wants to build a gas power station. Do you reckon he'd put the kibosh on an Olympic bid because of IOC politics?

the weird thing about Scotland is how he's so rusted onto an Australian political party in the 2020s. I mean I'm sure my grandparents in unions who worked 15 hours a day would still be a bit 'eh' on the whole Labor Party thing these days. like imagine being that down the line about any *in party. let alone those campaigners.

the weird thing about Scotland is how he's so rusted onto an Australian political party in the 2020s. I mean I'm sure my grandparents in unions who worked 15 hours a day would still be a bit 'eh' on the whole Labor Party thing these days. like imagine being that down the line about any fu**in party. let alone those campaigners.

Bit of a middle-class Frank Grimes. Misindentifies the source of his problems.

Lost on KFCboy but I held higher hopes for Finchy. Keating was PM when Sydney 2000 was awarded, Howard when it took place. I'm guessing Bob Hawke was probably PM when the plan was first hatched given the timeline. It was a good event that normal people understand had * all to do with who was in parliament at the time.

scottishfiction and others are referring to post-2000 Olympics. However I'd say the failed 1999 Republic referendum (Liberal effort) was when deeply conservative figures visibly starting sucking away a better Australian future. If you're not a social conservative, something in mining, something in real estate/property development, party donor, Liberals are a "* you" bunch.

Last edited:
Liberals seeking to shape and define Australia in self-serving conservatism while sidelining those who disagree is not something I "look for", it's objective reality.

There really should only be about a dozen countries that should host the Olympics. That kind of doesn’t fit with their message of inclusiveness though.

Why? Some countrie$ want in too :D

SHould boxing remain an olympic sport if we side with the "if its not the pinnacle of the sport..." argument?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realise all you guys are too young to remember, but the federal government had precious little to do with the Sydney Olympics.

The Minister for the Olympics and President of SOCOG was Michael Knight, a state politician. The state shadow minister and the Lord Mayor of Sydney were on the board, but there were no federal politicians.

It was very much a state based enterprise. The federal government essentially just supported NSW’s bid.

I realise all you guys are too young to remember, but the federal government had precious little to do with the Sydney Olympics.

The Minister for the Olympics and President of SOCOG was Michael Knight, a state politician. The state shadow minister and the Lord Mayor of Sydney were on the board, but there were no federal politicians.

It was very much a state based enterprise. The federal government essentially just supported NSW’s bid.
So John Howard planting himself in the centre of everything was just the federal government having nothing to do with the Olympics. I preferred the Rodent's petulant little display after the 2003 RWC Final, much truer to character.

So John Howard planting himself in the centre of everything was just the federal government having nothing to do with the Olympics.
The federal government provided less than $250m of the $5.2 billion needed to put the Games on, and had no direct involvement in the decisionmaking. They were well on the periphery.

It was very much a NSW event and achievement - just as any Brisbane 2032 bid would be a Queensland event and achievement.

The feds will sit on the sidelines, cheer any proposal, and bask in the reflected glory of any success - but they aren’t really involved.

Soccer should be canned from the Olympics. Insulting to other athletes that it's a glorified U/23 comp that players don't care about.

Hold on , arent they allowed 2 over U/23 players also?
Soccer should never be canned, its the most popular event, gives people a chance to see up and coming stars too.

I saw Italy v Aus at the MCG in 2000, great atmosphere. And Italy won... which made it even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back