News TAC Cup Fixtures 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm.. what guernsey are they wearing, it will be very interesting

Couldnt care less about the guernseys, I just hope they dont feature Gary Clifford Irons -

Just absolutely stoked for bluey and the boys, Ill be there with my boys (and girl)...cheering em on and cant wait to see how they go and what the skills are like

Anyone back them to actually win the TAC next year?

Couldnt care less about the guernseys, I just hope they dont feature Gary Clifford Irons -

Just absolutely stoked for bluey and the boys, Ill be there with my boys (and girl)...cheering em on and cant wait to see how they go and what the skills are like

Anyone back them to actually win the TAC next year?

Nah. Im just thinking that the Gold Coast team is basically going to be the state u18 team or a team a little worse. if its basically a state team then i would say top half if its just those from Brisbane and Gold Coast. maybe a winning season but maybe just.

Will be good to see if they can match it with the Vic teams. If not at least they know what work they will need to do to improve. best of luck boys

was just wondering why we play Tas, and Nsw but no other team plays them by the draw.

Maybe they are giving them a chance to possibly win a few and gain some self confidence and belief instead of them coming up against the harder Vic sides all the time.

Why so many home games?

I understand the need to create excitement and exposure on the Gold Coast, create and strengthen brand recognition, etc.

However, what about equity in the draw?

What about preparing the kids to travel just about every second week? I'm assuming that 80%+ of the kids will graduate to the senior squad to play in the VFL in 2010 ... is the draw going to be the same and inbalanced then as well? You would have thought to prepare the kids for 2011 (well, for those that make the AFL team), that they would have created a situation as similar as possible to when they would be playing in the big time.

Why so many home games?

I understand the need to create excitement and exposure on the Gold Coast, create and strengthen brand recognition, etc.

However, what about equity in the draw?

What about preparing the kids to travel just about every second week? I'm assuming that 80%+ of the kids will graduate to the senior squad to play in the VFL in 2010 ... is the draw going to be the same and inbalanced then as well? You would have thought to prepare the kids for 2011 (well, for those that make the AFL team), that they would have created a situation as similar as possible to when they would be playing in the big time.
That's not how the TAC Cup fixture works. Given the sheer geography that the competition takes up, the regional teams get a lot more home games than the Metro team. Most metro teams get 7-8 home games out of 18. They'll also get about 5-6 "travel" games (regional away games). GC will be treated as regional considering how far they are from everyone else.

There's a couple of main reasons for this. I suppose the main one is that in some regional areas, some players will have to travel three hours just to get to their home ground. I live in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne I reckon I live closer to every single country teams home ground than some of their players would (and that covers the whole state!)

Also, huge amounts of travel are inevitable in the TAC Cup, so this travel is balanced so that everyone has a similar amount of travel. A regional side that gets 11-12 home games still has to travel across the state (or to Gold Coast now) 6-7 times. This is roughly the same amount of big trips that the metro sides make.

I'm guessing that GC are just being treated as a regional team and that it has nothing to do with creating excitement or exposure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My brother will be playing for Northern Knights against guys in Round 11 on my birthday so hopefully ill get to come up and see how you guys go.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back