Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I find this "YOU STILL NEED EXPERIENCE!" talk a bit odd when it comes to us moving on Lynch, Mackay, Talia and likely Crouch.

Like we still have Sloane, Seedsman, Laird, Smith, Brown and seem to be keeping Kelly and look likely to keep Walker on. I don't consider guys like Doedee, Keays or Milera "inxexperience" they've been in the system for years and know what they need to do, ROB and Frampton as well.

Why wouldn't someone like Laird be considered an experienced player? He's going to be 28 next year and almost a 200 gamer, Brown the same. Is there some magical "experience" that guys gain after turning 30 we're missing out on?

I find this "YOU STILL NEED EXPERIENCE!" talk a bit odd when it comes to us moving on Lynch, Mackay, Talia and likely Crouch.

Like we still have Sloane, Seedsman, Laird, Smith, Brown and seem to be keeping Kelly and look likely to keep Walker on. I don't consider guys like Doedee, Keays or Milera "inxexperience" they've been in the system for years and know what they need to do, ROB and Frampton as well.

Why wouldn't someone like Laird be considered an experienced player? He's going to be 28 next year and almost a 200 gamer, Brown the same. Is there some magical "experience" that guys gain after turning 30 we're missing out on?

It also makes no sense when Crouch, Talia and Lynch played a combined 12 games while Mackay sucks.

We are barely losing anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmania will just be a soft target for all the Victorian teams to poach good players. It’ll struggle to retain players more than any other team in the league.

Like any club, if they create a culture hellbent on success, they won't be poached from.

I've never really understood this argument. Should we just have two teams, so only the best 44 players in the country get to play? Why is 18, or 16, the correct number of teams?

Also, what is the harm if the worst player in the AFL is slightly weaker than before? Does it really hurt the spectacle that much? In the modern era where exceptional athleticism is the norm, having some extra spots might open the door for some more pure footballers to actually play the game at the highest level, instead of getting squeezed out by endurance runners with average ball handling skills. Hell, if the weakest player in each club's starting 22 was a bit weaker, it might enable the best players to be a bit more attacking and show some more flair.

And even with that said, if there are more spots available, there are more opportunities and so more people will strive for them. This would particularly be true for young Tasmanian footballers who are on the fence about whether to commit to pursuing full time AFL footy. Perhaps having an extra team could actually increase the amount of talented players available?
For the
I disagree.

I think their is enough talent in Australia to have a 19th team in the AFL.

The problem is player movement.

The SANFL would easily have 8 to 10 AFL ready mature aged players, but for some silly reason AFL clubs have black listed them. I’m sure the WAFL and the VFL would be similar

If the AFL made player movements easier, like most sports across the globe, make everyone outside of their first contact a free agent and reduce playing lists from 44 to 40 (72 players) you will find a 19th list would quickly become competitive.

It’s time they give Tasmania a 19th team and just get on with it.
I agree but the biggest problem is 3rd party deal. The big clubs give huge side deals like Dangerfield so therefore can offer the average player a bit more. That really screws the smaller clubs and makes it totally unfair and an uneven advantage.
Not the players fault as they are just maximising their earning but it’s why there is such a difference between the rich and poor clubs

For the

I agree but the biggest problem is 3rd party deal. The big clubs give huge side deals like Dangerfield so therefore can offer the average player a bit more. That really screws the smaller clubs and makes it totally unfair and an uneven advantage.
Not the players fault as they are just maximising their earning but it’s why there is such a difference between the rich and poor clubs

that’s not true. Side deals are heavily regulated and there has never been any evidence that Dangerfield is the beneficiary of any such thing

that’s not true. Side deals are heavily regulated and there has never been any evidence that Dangerfield is the beneficiary of any such thing
Directly or indirectly?

His old man was on the payroll for a time with us as a weekend youth talent scout for the Victorian South West region, seemed pretty cosy?

It was also out in the public arena that direct family members were employed for cleaning/maintenance at the Costa hacienda, of course that could have been legitimate but again that looks a tad cosy?

Maybe I’m wrong on Danger but there is definitely side deals that are in place for the big players that is outside the caps stopping players from leaving
It seems to be a (generally) unsaid rule in AFL circles. I remember Caro saying some thing like “Dusty will earn a lot more long term staying with Richmond than taking more money to go to North Melbourne”.

Im not saying these are not club facilitated deals but there are plenty of people associated with clubs that are happy to facilitate them at arms length. Plus I wouldn’t trust the AFL to fairly police a pass-the-parcel.

Tasmania will just be a soft target for all the Victorian teams to poach good players. It’ll struggle to retain players more than any other team in the league.
If they come in, they would definitely need to be allowed to have first dibs at any Tassie player first.

I agree any Vic kid drafted to Tassie is there for the minimum amount of time, mind you, you probably could say that for any kid drafted from mainland Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back