Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is different though.

Current situation: Pay $8M, and as a result of that, get 8 games and all the tourism and advertising that goes with it.

Situation with Tas club: Get 11 games, and all the tourism and advertising that comes with it for free as part of having an AFL licence....but still Pay $8M (+++) anyway. Why???

It disconnects the cause-effect relationship of the money and the games.

The $8m expenditure needs to be redirected to get a team & a better return? (11 games not 8 ....) - the proposal seems transparent.

'Asking for': is that your take?
In a proposal such as this it is prudent to note where you have taken figures from, calling it an ask is to deny the reality of what goes on at HQ every year & its not a gift/subsidy in the AFLs book.

Suggesting the current Tas Govt expenditure on footy would $8mil would be redirected is pretty obvious, yes you can call it govt support.

How about "expecting" then. Its semantics.

How about "expecting" then. Its semantics.
No offence but some of your post lack a fair bit of common sense trying to say paying 8 million for 8 mostly low level fifo games is better value the getting 11 games half of which would see the large Victorian clubs and a much larger amount of visiting supporters all against a local tassie clubs thats a ridiculous argument to try and make also any local in Tassie would tell you the fifo games are dying interest has dropped they have run there course people have had enough of our government lining hawthorns pockets if the money is going to be spent every one wants it spent on a local club!

No offence but some of your post lack a fair bit of common sense trying to say paying 8 million for 8 mostly low level fifo games is better value the getting 11 games half of which would see the large Victorian clubs and a much larger amount of visiting supporters all against a local tassie clubs thats a ridiculous argument to try and make also any local in Tassie would tell you the fifo games are dying interest has dropped they have run there course people have had enough of our government lining hawthorns pockets if the money is going to be spent every one wants it spent on a local club!

Thats nice, but has nothing to do with what im talking about, and not the argument im making in the first place.

On this I agree, no sense in the Tassie government lining the pockets of one of the wealthiest clubs in the land

Disengenuos to include Melb heartland clubs in the same basket as first gen developing clubs.
So my point is a Tasmanian AFL club has to be a nett contributor to the AFL and the existing 18 Clubs otherwise it won't get a guernsey. I am confident that will be the case but currently Tasmania is helping to finance 2 existing clubs, one of which would definitely be struggling without the present Tasmanian deal which clearly would cease if Tassie came in. This is why the AFL is desperately trying to fascilitate North becoming the Tassie team. I don't agree with this either. The answer to me lies in further expansion into NSW and Qld...perhaps fixturing North and Hawthorn to play matches in these states.

So my point is a Tasmanian AFL club has to be a nett contributor to the AFL and the existing 18 Clubs otherwise it won't get a guernsey. I am confident that will be the case but currently Tasmania is helping to finance 2 existing clubs, one of which would definitely be struggling without the present Tasmanian deal which clearly would cease if Tassie came in. This is why the AFL is desperately trying to fascilitate North becoming the Tassie team. I don't agree with this either. The answer to me lies in further expansion into NSW and Qld...perhaps fixturing North and Hawthorn to play matches in these states.

North won't budge. Otherwise they'd have taken the money & run off to the Gold Coast 10 years ago.

We are well past having the AFL try & relocate some struggling club here anyway. We've had enough of them.

Hawthorn are in a great financial position they will be fine playing all there games in Melbourne maybe they won’t make there multi million dollar profits each season anymore but they will be fine obviously you are right it will effect north Melbourne far greater but that’s not Tasmania’s problem and it should not have any bearing on Tasmania getting a licence if it does then the afl are a joke

Supply exceeds demand in Melbourne, a quite different dynamic to the developing markets.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SEN Radio Melb. 10.2 A good interview by D. Russell with B. Godfrey re the Task Force Report.

Russell
. " What is right for the AFL is to have a team in Tasmania. It's a no-brainer. It should happen. It's just right. It could be 2025 or 2026".

Godfrey said:-

. "...my understanding is they (Tas. govt.) will accept, subject to public consultation, all the recommendations of the Report". 2 mins. 15 secs -2 mins 25 secs
(But Tas. Premier Gutwein said on 7.2.20 the Tas. govt. will not support the new stadium at Macquarie Point. See my post# 1773, footy industry tweet 7.2 B. Stubbs Hobart Mercury, click on "Godfrey's AFL Business Case Challenge"-in point 4).

. The Task Force consulted 2 independent sports' experts, re the financial modelling & sustainability.
. " Gemba, an internationally renowned sporting organisation, expert at modelling...and the GWS CFO (Chief Financial Officer) was on the Task Force, using their analysis from their early days...". 3 mins 40 secs - 4 mins 50 secs.

. "...who supports the team the most, gets the most games...". 6 mins 5 secs - 6 mins 30 secs. It will be a 6/5 split.

. "...2025 is a possible start date...". 7mins 50 secs- 8 mins. 5 secs.

. "The AFL is a business. It shouldn't subsidise a Tasmanian team. We demonstrated the AFL won't be subsidising Tasmania (on a permanent basis. The Tas. govt. will underwrite the team. Tas. will still get fair distributions from the AFL, as other teams do- my words)". 12 mins 50 secs - 13 mins 25 secs.

. "It has to be the traditional Tassie jumper (Map jumper, same colours- my words) We have no other scenario...The team will be called the Tassie Devils".

(then click on "D. Russell Interview with B. Godfrey 10.2)

B. Godfrey, since 7.2, has publicly issued a challenge to naysayers, to "find any holes in the Report...see if you can tear it apart" (See footyindustry tweet 7.2.20 B. Stubbs Mercury, click on "Godfrey's AFL Business case Challenge" in post#1773- point 4).

Rob Shaw has also sent tweets to sport journalists M. Robinson, J. Pierik, M. Rucci, A. Maher, B. Stubbs, T. Gossage etc. with the same challenge- see my post #1773

Last edited:
One thing to remember with this "report" is that it is more of a sales and poitical document. The views of all concerned were well known before the report was commissioned. It was commissioned with a certain result in mind.

That said, I haven't read it yet and I'm sure there is good information in there. It just needs to be read with a wary eye for the salesmanship.

Call me crazy but I actually think Tassie getting a NBL team could improve their chances of getting an AFL club. They should look at having at setup like Barcelona do with soccer and basketball.

Edit: obviously Barcelona have a far bigger population, are a hugely recognised brand globally and have seemingly endless funds. I meant more in terms of having one brand for all Tasmanian’s to get behind and working together to see both teams succeed
me being a soccer fan. I wanted the A-league to have a team in Tasmania too. Tasmania only has cricket.

Having a basketball or soccer team or both might force the AFLs hand

"AFL great Mick Malthouse says the AFL needs to take some responsibility for the state of grassroots football in Tasmania at present and do more to help the situation "

He was "disappointed in the major party to this, and that is the AFL. The AFL has got to take responsibility".

Re players like Baldock, Hart, Stewart, Hudson etc, & the collapse of the Tas. recruitment goldmine of champions "...that shows you the quality of players that were once part of the AFL, but we're not seeing the numbers anymore, and we need to to keep asking why".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back