Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Saints supporters it seems.

Anyway I was only saying that Wook hasn’t a history of trolling and actually seems to know something about ratings and how they are done.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think you will find a lot of Tasmanian's support the Saints due to a strong 'history' of players including Verdun Howell, Baldock, Barry Lawrence, Riewoldt, Webster etc.

What they do not support is the way the state has been treated by the AFL.

I also have no problem with the GWS being in the AFL it is part of the sports growth and makes sense. Hope and expect it will be a success.

Do not agree that Wook is trolling, although I do not agree with him.

As others have also pointed out if I went on the GWS forum and argued that you TV ratings are crap, you receive to much money from the AFL, plastic club, your crowds less than those in Tas and you should not exist ----- statements that you must be sick of as they are rubbish -what would you expect the reaction would be from those who support GWS???

As others have also pointed out if I went on the GWS forum and argued that you TV ratings are crap, you receive to much money from the AFL, plastic club, your crowds less than those in Tas and you should not exist ----- statements that you must be sick of as they are rubbish -what would you expect the reaction would be from those who support GWS???

Where have I or anyone involved in this little bit of a discussion said that? If anyone had said Tassie were plastic, AFL FC or anything similar it would and should rightly be called trolling.

We have said that ratings are valued differently depending on location. Sydney matters more than Regional locations to tv stations that’s not a belief but a fact.
Saying the Giants don’t have the greatest ratings compared to heartland states is a no s**t Sherlock statement really.

You seem to be outraged for outrage sake.

Think you will find a lot of Tasmanian's support the Saints due to a strong 'history' of players including Verdun Howell, Baldock, Barry Lawrence, Riewoldt, Webster etc.

What they do not support is the way the state has been treated by the AFL.

I also have no problem with the GWS being in the AFL it is part of the sports growth and makes sense. Hope and expect it will be a success.

Do not agree that Wook is trolling, although I do not agree with him.

Wasting your time mate trying to have a legitimate conversation that’s why I no longer comment on any threads to do with gws I didn’t really have a problem with wookie post but I find it amusing that I’ve made very similar posts to his on other thread bringing up legitimate points about gws crowd numbers, tv ratings ect and you get called a troll or broken record it’s if you go through his history over the last few weeks he continues to make post with not a lot of actual facts to back up anything more his opinion talking down a Tasmanian license!

Where have I or anyone involved in this little bit of a discussion said that? If anyone had said Tassie were plastic, AFL FC or anything similar it would and should rightly be called trolling.

We have said that ratings are valued differently depending on location. Sydney matters more than Regional locations to tv stations that’s not a belief but a fact.
Saying the Giants don’t have the greatest ratings compared to heartland states is a no s**t Sherlock statement really.

You seem to be outraged for outrage sake.

Wow .......that is prescious your selective posting missed this bit:

[/QUOTE

Not outraged at all mate just having a conversation.

I'll quote you:

Sydney matters more than Regional locations to tv stations that’s not a belief but a fact.

Please quote where I said you are trolling - stop making stuff up and being so precious.

Was trying to have a conversation with you, re tv viewing and as this forum is titled tasmania set to apply for a provisional afl licence maybe about Tassie!- should have known better!

As I said wish all the best to GWS and expect it to be a success.

Wow .......that is prescious your selective posting missed this bit:

That bit which I can’t quote isn’t selective.

All I said was that the tv networks care more about the city regions than the regional.
Did not once say it wouldn’t rate well as it will probably in its home a footy heartland.

And as I said when TS does go on the Giants pages and goes on his little rants about fake, plastic etc etc with Pippen he gets rightly pulled up on it as a troll.

If anyone does the same in here about Tassie it should be rightly called the same.

As for ratings in Sydney, which is off topic here, we are ranked 3rd behind NRL and cricket. Not great but getting there and better than other sports that Sydney is a heartland of.

Will continue to grow.

That bit which I can’t quote isn’t selective.

All I said was that the tv networks care more about the city regions than the regional.
Did not once say it wouldn’t rate well as it will probably in its home a footy heartland.

And as I said when TS does go on the Giants pages and goes on his little rants about fake, plastic etc etc with Pippen he gets rightly pulled up on it as a troll.

If anyone does the same in here about Tassie it should be rightly called the same.

As for ratings in Sydney, which is off topic here, we are ranked 3rd behind NRL and cricket. Not great but getting there and better than other sports that Sydney is a heartland of.

Will continue to grow.

All good from me the bit I quoted was where I posted that I thought GWS being in existence is a good move by the AFL, also believe a Tasmanian team would be a good move by the AFL

Don't think you will find me posting on the Giants pages....have never posted on another teams post.

As for TV ratings they are debatable in advance and believe a Tassie team would have more viewers than some believe

cheers

All good from me the bit I quoted was where I posted that I thought GWS being in existence is a good move by the AFL, also believe a Tasmanian team would be a good move by the AFL

Don't think you will find me posting on the Giants pages....have never posted on another teams post.

As for TV ratings they are debatable in advance and believe a Tassie team would have more viewers than some believe

cheers

Think there’s been some misreading. Wish nothing but the best for a Tassie team.

Any 'locking out' of tourists will be the least of any problems. If it is a roaring success that limits tourists it will be a good problem to have in the short to medium turn. It'll be a political win which ever way.
I disagree. The whole case for a financially sustainable Tas. 19th team is based on having large footy tourist crowds. Locking them out is dangerous on several levels- including a tourism PR disaster. Tourists want to have CERTAINTY when they book a footy tourism trip.
Also, how would the non-footy fan Tas. voter react at elections if, instead of the Tas. govt. contributing $11m pa to the team, has to contribute $20-25m+ pa?

The thing that has almost won me over is the potential to schedule a Thursday night game almost all season round. Broadcasters will love it.
Yes ,this is a major part of the financial benefits that a Tas. team will deliver to the AFL.
It is odd that the naysayers ignore this crucial factor. Assuming there is a reduction in 11 Docklands weekend daytime games (when Tas. plays in Tas.), adding 11 extra Thur. night Prime Time "marquee game of the week" DS games should provide a massive ratings' increase.

Yep acknowledge the concern re television viewership, although I believe more would view Tasmanian games than just those lucky enough to actually live in Tasmania
Yes, Tas. local TV viewer nos. are small, not very valuable- but some Tas. games would attract large viewer nos. on the mainland (playing "big" teams), & be very valuable.
Ditto GW. It has small Sydney-based TV viewer nos., but can attract large viewer nos. elsewhere eg 2016 GWS v. Footscray Prelim. Final had the 2nd highest TV viewer nos., for a Pre-lim Final, of all time- 2.4m.

2. Task Force member E. Stewart has said 10.2, on A. Stevens' Tasmania Talks radio program (paraphrasing):-

. there is a lot of good corporate support for the team. 1 minute 5 secs

. G. Mc Lachlan has been "very helpful" for us to put together the Report (including McLachlan providing assistance in his own, private time- my words). 2 mins 10 secs - 2 mins 40 secs

. 75% of the 18 AFL Club presidents need to agree for Tas. to become the 19th team (in addition to the AFL Commission. Also, J. Kennett has announced today he will vacate the HFC Presidency in 2020, good for Tas.- my words)

. York Park in Launny needs a renovation to lift the capacity to 30,000.
The Report modelling is based on average Tas. crowds of only 18,000.
Hobart will also need a stadium of 30,000- but it will be c. 10 years before it is achieved. 3 mins 45 secs - 4 mins 30 secs.

. basketball & soccer male nos. are both growing in Tas.- but AF male Club comp. nos., however, are dropping. AF male participants in Tas. "...need something to aim for " if male AF nos. are to grow strongly. 7 mins 45 secs - 8 mins 10 secs.

3.SEN Melb. Radio 13.2.20

Re former Tas. Premier Bartlett, & the very likely new Tas. NBL team " Bartlett also explained how basketball is booming in Tasmania, with an NBL team to enhance that growth (my emphasis)". It's a shame AFL Tas. CEO T. Squires, in her evidence to the Tas. Parliamentary Committee, didn't understand this basic concept.

Bartlett said "Basketball has never been stronger in Tasmania".

Last edited:
I disagree. The whole case for a financially sustainable Tas. 19th team is based on having large footy tourist crowds. Locking them out is dangerous on several levels- including a tourism PR disaster. Tourists want to have CERTAINTY when they book a footy tourism trip. How would the non-footy fan average Tas. voter react at election time if, instead of the Tas. govt. contributing $11m pa to the team, has to contribute $20-25m+ pa?

Yes, a major part of the financial benefits that a Tas. team will deliver to the AFL.
It is odd that the naysayers ignore this crucial factor. Assuming there is a reduction in 11 Docklands weekend daytime games, adding Thur. night Prime Time "marquee game of the week" DS games' ratings should increase by 100%+.

Yes, Tas. local TV viewer nos. are small, not very valuable- but some Tas. games would attract large viewer nos. on the mainland, & be very valuable.
GWS has smal Sydney-basedl TV viewer nos., but can attract large viewer nos. elsewhere eg 2016 GWS v. Footscray Prelim. Final had the 2nd highest TV viewer nos. of all time, 2.4m

2. Task Force member E. Stewart has said 10.2, on A. Stevens Tasmania Talks radio program (paraphrasing):-

. there is a lot of good corporate support for the team. 1 minute 5 secs

. G. Mc Lachlan has been "very helpful" for us to put together the Report (including McLachlan providing assistance in his own, private time- my words). 2 mins 10 secs - 2 mins 40 secs

. 75% of the 18 AFL Club presidents need to agree for Tas. to become the 19th team (in addition to the AFL Commission. Also, J. Kennett has announced today he will vacate the HFC Presidency in 2020, good for Tas.- my words)

. York Park in Launny needs a renovation to lift the capacity to 30,000.
The Report modelling is based on average Tas. crowds of only 18,000.
Hobart will also need a stadium of 30,000- but it will be c. 10 years before it is achieved. 3 mins 45 secs - 4 mins 30 secs.

. basketball & soccer male nos. are both growing in Tas.- but AF male Club comp. nos., however, are dropping. AF male participants in Tas. "...need something to aim for " if male AF nos. are to grow strongly. 7 mins 45 secs - 8 mins 10 secs.

3.SEN Melb. Radio 13.2.20

Re former Tas. Premier Bartlett, & the very likely new Tas. NBL team " Bartlett also explained how basketball is booming in Tasmania, with an NBL team to enhance that growth (my emphasis)". It's a shame AFL Tas. CEO, in her evidence to the Tas. Parliamentary Committee, didn't understand this basic concept.

Bartlett said "Basketball has never been stronger in Tasmania".

As for number 1. I disagree with your disagreement. :)

If somehow the locals want to all go to the bigger games in Launceston ie V Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon etc, then they'll be members &/or pay for a ticket. Intrastate tourism also adds to the economic gain. Anyway, IMO a 30k stadium will cater for locals & tourists. The 'lesser' games in Hobart will be catered for by Bellerive at 18k.

If not, then that'll be a great problem to have & would be rectified over time.

Kennett has been the main driver of the Hawks remaining in Tas. Others on the board were less keen to renew last time, then Jeff returned. If the Tas govt plan to downgrade what is on offer for us (as previously posted), then with Jeff gone I am not sure we will be there after 2021 regardless of Tas getting a team.
Not sure if this is good for the Tas team. If the Hawks pull out it may mean more opportunity there for North and the AFL will want to exploit that.

Kennett has been the main driver of the Hawks remaining in Tas. Others on the board were less keen to renew last time, then Jeff returned. If the Tas govt plan to downgrade what is on offer for us (as previously posted), then with Jeff gone I am not sure we will be there after 2021 regardless of Tas getting a team.
Not sure if this is good for the Tas team. If the Hawks pull out it may mean more opportunity there for North and the AFL will want to exploit that.

As said, North wouldn't go to GC for $150mill. They don't want to come here.

That's great as we've had enough busted arse outfits here. Fitzroy, Hawks 20yrs ago, Stkilda, now North.

We'd be happy with our own busted arse team for a change. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TF says $8mil for 360 FT jobs & $110mil economic boost. And your confused????

TF notes the link of having a club, ala Geelong & Townsville for social benefits & health of GR AF, & your confused???

If the Tas government turned around after a few years and stopped paying, how much of that would go away?

If you get the same benefits without paying, why would you pay?

Or is that concept too confusing for you?

As for number 1. I disagree with your disagreement. :)

If somehow the locals want to all go to the bigger games in Launceston ie V Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon etc, then they'll be members &/or pay for a ticket. Intrastate tourism also adds to the economic gain. Anyway, IMO a 30k stadium will cater for locals & tourists. The 'lesser' games in Hobart will be catered for by Bellerive at 18k.

If not, then that'll be a great problem to have & would be rectified over time.

Yes, intrastate tourism still pays, but it doesn't pay as much.

Who is more likely to spend more? The person who has flown in to see the game, or the one who drove for an hour or two?

Hotels, restaurants, cab rides, airport fees....

My gut feel is they seem to want 20, wether rightly or wrongly, and I can’t see anyone else getting team 19.

20 on the other hand will be an interesting back and forth.

I have said this before. If Tassie side is the 19th side then Canberra/ACT has to be the 20th side. Location wise it's perfect for Canberra. They don't have to travel far to Melbourne or Sydney.

A club costs $40-$50M to run minimum (top end is around double that).

11 home games = ~$4M/game.

$2M a game (your figure) means you're getting them at around half price.
I am surprised it cost that much to be honest. 40-50 mil is a lot of cash. I was thinking 20-30 mil per club. Sure you got players and staff wages. Travel and accommodation comes in too.

Back around 2004-6 both saints and hawks were getting paid $750,000 a game hosting games at tassie

I have said this before. If Tassie side is the 19th side then Canberra/ACT has to be the 20th side. Location wise it's perfect for Canberra. They don't have to travel far to Melbourne or Sydney.

Except they really need to start adding clubs that might contribute to the leagues bottom line.

NSW/QLD/AFLW all suck away millions as an investment in the future which may or may not come off, add in a few Vic clubs & Port whose net contribution would be marginal at best...WA clubs and Adelaide mostly contribute to development in their states, which doesn't leave a lot to do the heavy lifting.

The AFL can't really afford a lot more clubs that take more than they give.

Except they really need to start adding clubs that might contribute to the leagues bottom line.

NSW/QLD/AFLW all suck away millions as an investment in the future which may or may not come off, add in a few Vic clubs & Port whose net contribution would be marginal at best...WA clubs and Adelaide mostly contribute to development in their states, which doesn't leave a lot to do the heavy lifting.

The AFL can't really afford a lot more clubs that take more than they give.
The Queensland and NSW teams are Bandwagoner states. Look at Brisbanes history. From 1897-1994, they struggled to bring crowds. When they made their 1st final in 1995, they got bigger crowds.

Brisbane games at the gabba were sold out from 2000-2004. Sydney struggled from 1982-85. They then sold out the scg a fiar bit in 1986-7. Struggled again in the early 1990s. Then had that run from 1996-2018 when they only missed out on finals in 2000, 2002 and 2009.

Gold coast have low crowds but will get decent crowds when they make finals.

GWS struggled at the 1st 3-4 seasons. They now have 25-30,000 members and averaging 15,000 people a game. Give

In Victoria, WA and SA, you have a lot of rusted on fans. Freo has been garbage for most of their existence but are profitable. Dockers struggled off field from 1995-2001. By 2001, Freo were 8 millon in debt. 2002 they either Broke even or had a small loss. From 2003 onwards they made profit. We finished 9th in 2004 but got mocked because of our then president at the time in Rick Hart had a "tick of approval". Freo made a 1.3 million dollar profit in 2004.

West coast has always been rich. Crows have always turn a profit. Port were goof financially from 1997-2007. They then struggled from 2008-2012. they been stable from 2013 onwards.

the Victorian clubs vary to a degree. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawks and Richmond have big fan bases.

If the Tas government turned around after a few years and stopped paying, how much of that would go away?

So tell me why they would?

If Governments have invested in 2 stadiums & paid teams to play here, for the oft touted socio-economic benefits over the last near 20 years, why would they then dump their own team, should they get one?

Or is that too confusing to you?

No offence to Giants Capital fans.
That’s kind any hope and we can then concentrate on just Western Sydney.
Hell have the L.A. game in the middle of the Easter Show break and I wouldn’t mind it then.

Yes, intrastate tourism still pays, but it doesn't pay as much.

Who is more likely to spend more? The person who has flown in to see the game, or the one who drove for an hour or two?

Hotels, restaurants, cab rides, airport fees....

So?

If you read the post I said if the locals filled the stadium, Then they'd look at expanding the capacity.

Is that too confusing?

You have a very poor understanding of the current landscape in Tasmania the fifo games are dying they have well and truly run there course they were great during that early 2000s period helped generate business during winters but Tasmania is a different place now the state and especially tourism is booming Mona dark mofo and a lot of other huge events over winter apart from a few local hawthorn and north supporters pretty much everyone is of the opinion if we can’t have our own team we would rather finish the fifo games the reward for the investment is no longer there you are completely 100% wrong the return we would get buy having our own team would completely dwarf that of the fifo games how you come up with we would get a similar return from fifo games is laughable it’s got to the point if the afl don’t want to treat us fairly then why the hell would we want to help them out keeping north Melbourne afloat why they pump millions into gws and the suns or help hawthorn pay for there new training centre the whole thing is a joke really the afl are extremely lucky our games sells itself because they are massively unprofessional how they run it !

The Queensland and NSW teams are Bandwagoner states. Look at Brisbanes history. From 1897-1994, they struggled to bring crowds. When they made their 1st final in 1995, they got bigger crowds.

Brisbane games at the gabba were sold out from 2000-2004. Sydney struggled from 1982-85. They then sold out the scg a fiar bit in 1986-7. Struggled again in the early 1990s. Then had that run from 1996-2018 when they only missed out on finals in 2000, 2002 and 2009.

Gold coast have low crowds but will get decent crowds when they make finals.

GWS struggled at the 1st 3-4 seasons. They now have 25-30,000 members and averaging 15,000 people a game. Give

In Victoria, WA and SA, you have a lot of rusted on fans. Freo has been garbage for most of their existence but are profitable. Dockers struggled off field from 1995-2001. By 2001, Freo were 8 millon in debt. 2002 they either Broke even or had a small loss. From 2003 onwards they made profit. We finished 9th in 2004 but got mocked because of our then president at the time in Rick Hart had a "tick of approval". Freo made a 1.3 million dollar profit in 2004.

West coast has always been rich. Crows have always turn a profit. Port were goof financially from 1997-2007. They then struggled from 2008-2012. they been stable from 2013 onwards.

the Victorian clubs vary to a degree. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawks and Richmond have big fan bases.
Gws are not averaging 15,000 a game mate we’re did you get this number from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back