Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure some are from time to time, but you make it sound like footy players act up like Pines residents (no offence to the good folk of Frankston North) and have habitual issues and they won't play in Tassie because of the "lack" of the "fast" life.

Seriously, you're kidding yourself if you believe that the bulk of players are regularly going on benders.
Lifestyle is important for young, single people. I'm not saying everyone wants to get out on the gear but your average 20 year old is gonna pretty bored of Collins Street Hobart after about three weeks of living there.

It's not just the fact there isn't a vibrant night life. Clubs encourage their players to get involved in areas outside of AFL and Hobart just doesn't have the same opportunities as a larger city.

Lifestyle is important for young, single people. I'm not saying everyone wants to get out on the gear but your average 20 year old is gonna pretty bored of Collins Street Hobart after about three weeks of living there.

It's not just the fact there isn't a vibrant night life. Clubs encourage their players to get involved in areas outside of AFL and Hobart just doesn't have the same opportunities as a larger city.

Fair enough, I think you're over emphasising it though. Just to be an AFL listed player is the dream of every kid and the percentage that actually get to live that dream is minuscule.

I would argue most 20 yo's wouldn't give a flying about the lack of night life because they're plying their trade at the top level. As far as community involvement goes - again I hardly think that's gonna be a deal breaker for an aspiring young talent.

How does the TSL end up tying into this?

Because Tassie will have a VFL team, and and AFL team. It'd be a bit strange for Tasmania's state league to feed into Victoria's state league, which feeds into Tasmania's AFL team.
I think there using the vfl as a base to build towards a afl team I’d imagine if we got a afl team then the vfl team would go and the remaining players would spread through the tsl like what used to happen with the afl players in the wafl and sanfl

Lol, if this were the case then four clubs in Adelaide and Perth would have zero players. Not to mention Geelong.
Half of Melbourne spend their summer along the Surf Coast, in a footy mad town where they are unquestioned as celebrities. Funnily enough, Geelong is a destination club.

I'm sure Tassie could be the same if they found a way to market it properly.

Half of Melbourne spend their summer along the Surf Coast, in a footy mad town where they are unquestioned as celebrities. Funnily enough, Geelong is a destination club.

I'm sure Tassie could be the same if they found a way to market it properly.
Spot on mate not every one loves the hustle and bustle of big cities Geelong is a great example of how a Tassie team should model itself plenty of great beaches and coastline less then half hour from Hobart very cheap property compared to most mainland areas only a 50 minute flight to Melbourne as well !

So based on Adelaide and Perth scenarios as a fair comparison for a Tasmanian team, because Victorian teams tend to get much larger crowds from the away team (usually due to play another Vic team) and because they are also footy loving states, wikipedia and AFL Tables tell me the following:

1. Adelaide has a population of 1.3m. On a fortnightly basis between both the Crows and Port home game 78,000 people attend games. So that is 1 in 16.6 people attending the game.

2. Perth has a population of 2.05m. On a fortnightly basis between both Eagles and Dockers home games 94,000 people attend games. So that is 1 in every 21.8 people attending games.

So if we take the Perth example as worse case scenario, Hobarts population of 240,000 people should sustain a minimum of 11,000 attendees. Best case scenario with Adelaide example there would be a minimum average crowd of 14,400 attendees...

Hmm thats if 11 games are in Hobart only. What if there are only 7 games in Hobart, with 4 games in Launceston, will that concentrate crowds to be higher as there are less opportunities to attend?

Hmm many theoretical scenarios possible.

So based on Adelaide and Perth scenarios as a fair comparison for a Tasmanian team, because Victorian teams tend to get much larger crowds from the away team (usually due to play another Vic team) and because they are also footy loving states, wikipedia and AFL Tables tell me the following:

1. Adelaide has a population of 1.3m. On a fortnightly basis between both the Crows and Port home game 78,000 people attend games. So that is 1 in 16.6 people attending the game.

2. Perth has a population of 2.05m. On a fortnightly basis between both Eagles and Dockers home games 94,000 people attend games. So that is 1 in every 21.8 people attending games.

So if we take the Perth example as worse case scenario, Hobarts population of 240,000 people should sustain a minimum of 11,000 attendees. Best case scenario with Adelaide example there would be a minimum average crowd of 14,400 attendees...

Hmm thats if 11 games are in Hobart only. What if there are only 7 games in Hobart, with 4 games in Launceston, will that concentrate crowds to be higher as there are less opportunities to attend?

A better way to estimate crowds would be to look at previous crowds I. Tas.
If Hawthorn/Saints v Freo could draw 15k, then a Tassie team could easily double that. Same with North and Hobart.

No way Queensland or nsw could support a 3rd team Canberra might be able to but I don’t think gws could survive if the afl took that area from them the only place would be potentially wa south of Perth is a rapidly growing area !
We are talking at least a decade. If GWS can’t draw 20k in Sydney by then they should move them to Canberra.

I think they will be higher. I think the split should be 6/5 whichever way the highest attendances go. You draw a line in middle of Tas and you have slightly more in the North which is why should be an even split, Hobart is just too far on a regular basis for North West folks, sometimes works out cheaper to go to Melbourne. True fans will attend most of the games in their city (NW the Launceston ones) and at least a few at the other end, especially the big Victorian teams when they come. Hawks still get OK crowds considering neutrals like myself have pretty much got over going, this would change with a Tas team.

Touching on another argument about young folk not wanting to come here. Sure there may be some struggles with retention but I doubt it would be GC levels. A lot of games will be a short trip away in Melbourne, for the Vic natives I am sure the side would let them stay the weekend should it be a Friday or Saturday game. Any of them with their future in mind it would be ideal, make big $$$ while living in a lower cost city. Those not from here don't seem to realise how quick, cheap and easy going to Melbourne is from here, Launceston is under an hour flight and a lot of the time will cost $120 or less return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A better way to estimate crowds would be to look at previous crowds I. Tas.
If Hawthorn/Saints v Freo could draw 15k, then a Tassie team could easily double that. Same with North and Hobart.
I talk to a lot of Tasmanian footy supporters who say they don't attend the games played here currently,but would attend every game in the state if we had our own team.I think people would be surprised to see the sort of crowds we would get to the games,my family basically never go to the games now,but have all indicated they would go to every game possible if we have our own team.

If Tasmania build a new stadium in Hobart as is being suggested, even if it has a 30,000 seat capacity it will still cost half a billion dollars, conservatively.

The idea that you would then use it for 6 games of AFL (the other half played up north), maybe one test match and a couple of one dayers is laughable.
You forgot the Big Bash. I imagine a new stadium would also be used as a concert venue and attract at least one soccer game.

I think they will be higher. I think the split should be 6/5 whichever way the highest attendances go. You draw a line in middle of Tas and you have slightly more in the North which is why should be an even split, Hobart is just too far on a regular basis for North West folks, sometimes works out cheaper to go to Melbourne. True fans will attend most of the games in their city (NW the Launceston ones) and at least a few at the other end, especially the big Victorian teams when they come. Hawks still get OK crowds considering neutrals like myself have pretty much got over going, this would change with a Tas team.

Touching on another argument about young folk not wanting to come here. Sure there may be some struggles with retention but I doubt it would be GC levels. A lot of games will be a short trip away in Melbourne, for the Vic natives I am sure the side would let them stay the weekend should it be a Friday or Saturday game. Any of them with their future in mind it would be ideal, make big $$$ while living in a lower cost city. Those not from here don't seem to realise how quick, cheap and easy going to Melbourne is from here, Launceston is under an hour flight and a lot of the time will cost $120 or less return.
From the Tas government point of view it will be all about tourism. Hobart is one of the best cities in Australia for a long weekend so the mooted 30k stadium will be needed and see a 6/5 Hobart split.

Other people. Facts are Tasmania has the oldest median age in Australia and the lowest youth employment.

You're kidding yourself if you think living in Tassie is as attractive a proposition for a young athlete with a high disposable income as living in Melbourne or Sydney.
You're kidding yourself if you think you have any clue about Tasmania, much less how other people think about it.

Look I'm just assuming that most young men like getting pi**ed, getting on the gear and banging beautiful young women.

Assuming this is true, it makes sense that a city of 1.3 million will have more of that to take part in than a city with 200,000, (especially when that 200,000 are a bit older).

... Genuinely curious what sort of lives people lived where that's hard to reconcile?
You have a rabid hatred of Tasmania for some reason. The way you are comparing cities is very uninformed and superficial. And with every post that disagrees with you, you exaggerate yourstance a little bit more. You should exit this conversation before you embarrass yourself any further.

A different aspect for why the AFL should expand into Tasmania now before it is too late, could actually be one of the reasons why people are saying the AFL shouldn’t do it.

If there is such a small amount of corporate dollars available in the Tasmanian market, wouldn’t the AFL rather capture it rather than losing it to another sport like the A-League?

A-League teams are cheaper to run than AFL teams. So they might be able to slot into the Tasmanian market and take up all of the available corporate dollars. That would definitely prevent an AFL team from being established in the Tasmanian market.

It may mean the AFL would have to support the team, but that is still more corporate dollars coming into the business than what would have otherwise have been coming without an AFL team, or could have even gone into supporting a rival code.

Sorry but the idea that an a league team would prevent an AFL team in Tasmania is delusional it really is.

Brand new 30k stadium in Hobart would be ideal, partnership with cricket Tasmania and move state cricket and big bash games there plus 7 or 8 tas home games, plus concerts and events. A significant portion of the cost will be paid back through tourism bonuses, a lot of melbournians will be more likely to travel down if there's a shiny new great stadium.

What?
Its quite common knowledge that ticket prices at metricon are crazy high. Most of the empty seats you see are $50 and higher. This aint the mcg where you can just roll up and pay GA and sit in a good seat

They had subsidised ticket for the first 5 years. THey'be been around for what 8 or 9 years and their prices are dearer than the Gabba these days

Brand new 30k stadium in Hobart would be ideal, partnership with cricket Tasmania and move state cricket and big bash games there plus 7 or 8 tas home games, plus concerts and events. A significant portion of the cost will be paid back through tourism bonuses, a lot of melbournians will be more likely to travel down if there's a shiny new great stadium.
The important thing is that it must be a stadium with a roof,crowds have been shown to be 30 percent bigger with a roof in cold climate cities.The stadium they are proposing to build is expected to cost around 250 million so both governments will need to pay for it.I can't however see cricket Tas moving all games there,allthough it would make sense to play big bash games there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back