Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SM matters not. Its already been decided where the games will be played & the team based.
That's only if the AFL give that the go ahead,it is not guaranteed the business case will be fully followed,it's just recomendations.

We just really need this bloody team. In the past it's been an emotional thing, but now it makes so much sense financially as well.
Unfortunately the AFL doesn't want it though,that is the big reason we won't get a team in the next ten years although with a change of CEO that may change.

Well yes, obviously predicated on getting a team in the first place.

Even so, social media won't be part of any planning or team development strategies. ;)

The Tas Govt needs to play hard ball, the sponsorship money going into the AFL clubs is a HUGE lever that can not be easily replaced.
Forget playing it out in the media more generally, the twitterati et al must be background noise.

Do it nicely but give Gil a deal that Messrs Kennett & Buckley cannot refuse.

:thumbsu: Cant see Tas ever being in a better negotiating position ........:thumbsu::thumbsu:

The Tas Govt needs to play hard ball, the sponsorship money going into the AFL clubs is a HUGE lever that can not be easily replaced.
Forget playing it out in the media more generally, the twitterati et al must be background noise.

Do it nicely but give Gil a deal that Messrs Kennett & Buckley cannot refuse.

:thumbsu: Cant see Tas ever being in a better negotiating position ........:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Exactly I think the afl will happily push hawthorn out there ideal scenario is having north playing 7-8 home games down here that’s were our leverage comes in especially more so after corona if we withdraw north Melbournes deal that would put them and the afl under serious financial pressure I doubt our government would have the balls to follow through with it though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly I think the afl will happily push hawthorn out there ideal scenario is having north playing 7-8 home games down here that’s were our leverage comes in especially more so after corona if we withdraw north Melbournes deal that would put them and the afl under serious financial pressure I doubt our government would have the balls to follow through with it though!

I'm taking the new Premier on his attitude in the national Cabinet/Covid scenario, agree Hodgman didnt seem keen on robust negotiation. He might have learned a bit sitting at the same table as dastardly Dan ;) .

So with the possibility of a future Tasmanian team (a little bit less likely now following Coronavirus though), the discussion often involves how games will be split in the home and away season between Hobart and Launceston. But no one tends to mention what should happen if Tasmania hosts a final?

I’m thinking, that each year in the home and away season, one City always host 6 games, and the other City always has 5 games.

And then any final is always played in the City that always has 5 games, as a final every second year on average, would compensate for having one less home and away crowd every year.
The club’s constitution will state that game are to be split evenly. Finals would be played at the stadium with the largest capacity - so Launceston until Hobart gets a new stadium down the track. If so, Hobart would get the six games the next season.

Fox Sports B. Waterworth 5.5

Waterworth said

"A total of up to $36m could come back into the game's coffers...with...Caroline Wilson suggesting the 18 AFL Clubs could each face a salary cap cut of around $2m" ie Club player wages' bill to be cut from $13m-$11m from 2021.

C. Wilson also said

"And we're hearing $5.7m for the Football Department Soft or Hard cap (from 2021- my words)". Currently it is $9.7m per club.

It has previously been mooted that Club player Lists would be permanently reduced from 2021, possibly to 35 per club.

As previously said, these significant permanent cuts to operating a Club means that a 19th Tas. Club (& other smaller clubs) would become much more viable financially- & more sustainable & competitive over the long term.

Last edited:
Fox Sports B. Waterworth 5.5

Waterworth said

"A total of up to $36m could come back into the game's coffers...with...Caroline Wilson suggesting the 18 AFL Clubs could each face a salary cap cut of around $2m" ie Club player wages' bill to be cut from $13m-$11m from 2021.

C. Wilson also said

"And we're hearing $5.7m for the Football Department Soft or hard cap (from 2021- my words). Currently it is $9.7m per club.

It has previously been mooted that Club player Lists would be permanently reduced from 2021, possibly to 35 per club.

As previously said, these significant permanent cuts to operating a Club means that a 19th Tas. Club (& other smaller clubs) would become much more viable financially- & more sustainable & competitive over the long term.
I know they have to cut costs but having playing lists of 35 is not realistic whatsoever clubs struggle now when they have bad injurie seasons what do people expect first and second year players to play full seasons won’t happen!

I know they have to cut costs but having playing lists of 35 is not realistic whatsoever clubs struggle now when they have bad injurie seasons what do people expect first and second year players to play full seasons won’t happen!

I'd hope they don't need to reduce player numbers. for the reason you describe.

It'll be interesting if the salary cap needs a cut due to sponsorship & media rights being sliced back.

The players association will be in a bind. Trying to maintain wages against reduced AFL/Club incomes.

Clubs may need to decide who gets a contract cut, at the top end, or for every player.

I'd hope they don't need to reduce player numbers. for the reason you describe.

It'll be interesting if the salary cap needs a cut due to sponsorship & media rights being sliced back.

The players association will be in a bind. Trying to maintain wages against reduced AFL/Club incomes.

Clubs may need to decide who gets a contract cut, at the top end, or for every player.

Might that involve a player towards the end of a contract demand payment in full.

1. Tas. Legislative Council panel has given a recommendation that the Tas. govt.should financially etc. support a Tas. 19th team to enter the AFL in 2025.

2. news.com.au B. Brook 9.5

Melb. is predicted to overtake Sydney's pop. within 5 years. Also, the Victorian economy is, currently, the fastest growing in Australia.

Both these factors should assist the Tas. bid. Plenty of stressed & overcrowded Melbournians will want to take a very nearby holiday to beautiful Tasmania, to also attend an AFL game.
The big influx of footy winter tourists, when winter is usually a more quiet time for Tas. tourism, adds considerably to the Bid's financial strength for a Tas. 19th team.

Last edited:
1. There are increasing calls from many influential AFL experts to reduce on-field sizes from 18 to 16 per team.

(see my post #3085)

A reduction to 16 per team makes it much easier & "cheaper" to run an AFL club. This, along with all the other cost reductions announced from 2021, will make small Clubs more financially viable- & more competitive over the long term. The reduction to 16 per team, if it occurs, will assist the financial case for a Tas. 19th team to be introduced c 2025.

2. The AFL has stated the new Rights' deals announced 6 weeks ago will reduce its Rights' payments by c. 12-13% in total, with the NRL forced into a discount c. double this % (strongly denied by P. V'landys- but the NRL is, unusually, refusing to provide any details of their new Rights' deals!).

(go to my post # 2877)

The case for a new, 19th Tasmanian team, therefore, is not materially affected by the AFL's reduced financial position.

In fact, C. Wilson said on Melb. Radio 693 Sports Day program 23.7, to G. Healy, that AFL broadcasters are very happy with AFL ratings in 2020. She also said there will very likely be more Thur. night, lucrative Prime Time games from 2021 (ie cf 2019 season).
As I have previously noted in this thread, adding a 19th team creates an extra 11 H & A games pa (198-209 pa; possibly an extra Final; & possibly a Final 9 or 10: more content, & engenders more interest, for more people & for longer, in the season). Also makes the Rights more valuable, & supports a 19th team in Tasmania.

3. abc.net 2.7

Tas. will field a team in the NBL from 2021- & the Tas. govt. will provide new funding of $68.5m for a DEC new basketball court upgrade.
C. McCoy, from Basketball Tasmania, said he wanted " basketball to be the number one sport in the State within 4 years. The deal...would help double (my emphasis) participation rates".

Because Tas. does not have its own team, & therefore does not have the attendant tribalism/passion/local role models & local elite pathways etc., this neglect has caused male GR, & Tasmanian AF, to decline considerably.
Having their own team would rectify the disgraceful AFL neglect & carpetbagging of its elite payers. Tasmania's fabled history as a VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine would, almost certainly, be restored within c. 5-10 years of the new club starting.

Last edited:
1. There are increasing calls from many influential AFL experts to reduce field sizes from 18 to 16 per team.

(see my post #3085)

A reduction to 16 per team makes it much easier & "cheaper" to run an AFL club. This, along with all the other cost reductions announced from 2021, will make small teams more viable- & more competitive over the long term. The reduction to 16 per team, if it occurs, will assist the financial case for a Tas. 19th team to be introduced c 2025.

2. The AFL has stated the new Rights' deals announced a month ago will reduce its Rights' payments by c. 12-13%, with the NRL forced into a discount c. double this % (but strongly denied by P. V'landys- the NRL is, unusually, refusing to provide any details of their new deals).

(go to my post # 2877)

The case for a new, 19th Tasmanian team, therefore, is not materially affected by the AFL's reduced financial position.

In fact, C. Wilson said on Melb. Radio Sports Day program 23.7 that AFL broadcasters are very happy with AFL ratings in 2020, & there will be likely more Thur. night lucrative Prime Time games from 2021.
As I have previously noted in this thread, adding a 19th team creates an extra 11 games pa (198-209 pa; & possibly an extra Final, & Final 9 or 10). This also makes the Rights more valuable, & supports adding a 19th team in Tasmania.

3. abc.net 2.7

Tas. will field a team in the NBL from 2021- & the Tas. govt. will provide new funding of $68.5m for a new DEC basketball court upgrade.
C. McCoy, from Basketball Tasmania, said he wanted " basketball to be the number one sport in the State within 4 years".

Because Tas. does not have its own team, & therefore does not have the attendant tribalism/passion/local role models &e lite pathways etc., this neglect has caused Tasmanian AF to decline considerably.

We've had discussions on the 16 a side issue. I'd said I worked in Melbourne for a while & use to go to the odd VFA game. 16 a side made it a less congested game to watch.

I see the AFL want games in Tassie in the next few weeks. Their is quite a public backlash to it. I wonder why they'd bother coming here. We don't even have an AFL team so why bother with a hub here?

Junior soccer continues to grow at the junior AF expense. Also BBall is growing with kids. The NBL news & development will make further inroads.

It is possible with a combined 16 a side game & the 'experiment' of Thursday to Monday games, the AFL could look at a 20 team league???? Would that be part of their thinking???

We've had discussions on the 16 a side issue. I'd said I worked in Melbourne for a while & use to go to the odd VFA game. 16 a side made it a less congested game to watch.

I see the AFL want games in Tassie in the next few weeks. Their is quite a public backlash to it. I wonder why they'd bother coming here. We don't even have an AFL team so why bother with a hub here?

Junior soccer continues to grow at the junior AF expense. Also BBall is growing with kids. The NBL news & development will make further inroads.

It is possible with a combined 16 a side game & the 'experiment' of Thursday to Monday games, the AFL could look at a 20 team league???? Would that be part of their thinking???

See it more as a cost cutting measure on top of opening the game up for more goals.

Theoretically that also opens up enough players for a 20 team league as well.

The AFL would be eyeing off the increased TV possibilities. Thursday to Monday as a permanent fixture??

100%
With more tv keeps the dollars turning over and with less costs associated with running a club it makes it ore agreeable.

Personally would hope team 20 is the Capital(19 is obv Tassie).
Means the Giants can concentrate on Western Sydney. Besides our national game should also have a team in the Capital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back