Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah maybe it doesn’t make much sense Though i mean the afl are sponsored buy Toyota and Geelong and north ar sponsored buy ford and Mazda I wonder if it is actually a rule or it’s just a coincidence that nobody is sponsored buy a brewery!

its not so much that nobody is sponsored, but pourage rights for AFL matches and stadium rights for events means theres little point in beverage companies sponsoring teams. Think about it, almost no professional team in the country has alchohol on the jumper, however many of them have the league beverage partner as a minor sponsor.

I see Matthew Richardson saying it'll be 2025. Also commented on Jack Riewoldt saying he'd think strongly about returning to be part of a Tassie team.

I think he'd be a great addition to start a team off. He's certainly grown up since his initial childish & petulant behaviour in the AFL.

He's grown into a real leader, thankfully for himself. ;)

Where did you hear these Richo comments? Can't see anything on 3aw website.

Did I just miss this move by the AFL to USE Tas again:
.... after 2021 when deals to play games in Tasmania by North Melbourne (Hobart) and Hawthorn (Launceston) expire, finally and emphatically resolve its own business strategy in the Apple Isle is both a worrying and exciting backdrop for the Roos as they attempt to work their way out of their latest period of uncertainty.
There is clearly a deal to be made for North in Tasmania, a potentially lucrative one which could see the club maintain an 11 "home" game arrangement in Melbourne as well as servicing eight or nine matches in Hobart and Launceston.

.... after 2021 when deals to play games in Tasmania by North Melbourne (Hobart) and Hawthorn (Launceston) expire, finally and emphatically resolve its own business strategy in the Apple Isle is both a worrying and exciting backdrop for the Roos as they attempt to work their way out of their latest period of uncertainty.
There is clearly a deal to be made for North in Tasmania, a potentially lucrative one which could see the club maintain an 11 "home" game arrangement in Melbourne as well as servicing eight or nine matches in Hobart and Launceston.

The AFL trying to fix their own problems by using Tasmania, again, wouldn't really surprise me. Disappoint, yes.

I see Matthew Richardson saying it'll be 2025. Also commented on Jack Riewoldt saying he'd think strongly about returning to be part of a Tassie team.

I think he'd be a great addition to start a team off. He's certainly grown up since his initial childish & petulant behaviour in the AFL.

He's grown into a real leader, thankfully for himself. ;)
I'm all for
Tasmania are showing they will no longer support these fifo teams,you only need to look at the declining crowds,it will get worse if they continue with a deal like this.The only way this will change is with our own team,what is the use continuing down this path when people are not going to attend the games in good numbers,just watch the low crowds for the low drawing games we have next season.

I'm all for

Tasmania are showing they will no longer support these fifo teams,you only need to look at the declining crowds,it will get worse if they continue with a deal like this.The only way this will change is with our own team,what is the use continuing down this path when people are not going to attend the games in good numbers,just watch the low crowds for the low drawing games we have next season.

I'd hate to see jack leave, but noone would begrudge him finishing at tassie

I'm all for

I agree Mr T, I'd missed the quoted article, did you see it?
Cant believe the arrogance of the AFL.

Growing up in WA one learns that the physically inferior, latte sipping, over sensitive, melodramatic and pc obsessed eastern states like to look down on us and pretend we're backward. We feel your pain tas. One day you'll get your own team.

This can only happen if the Tasmanian Gov't (or a government agency like Toursim Tasmania) and/or local government agrees to fund/sponsor such an arrangement. Absent that support and it simply becomes unviable (a simple fact not mentioned at all in that article).

So, before anyone worries about the AFL, it's the State and local governments that simply have to say no to sponsoring any further FIFO games and only support a true Tasmanian based club, to put a complete end to this North FIFO idea. It's really up to Tasmanians themselves as to what they will support financially, or not, as the case may be.

This can only happen if the Tasmanian Gov't (or a government agency like Toursim Tasmania) and/or local government agrees to fund/sponsor such an arrangement. Absent that support and it simply becomes unviable (a simple fact not mentioned at all in that article).

So, before anyone worries about the AFL, it's the State and local governments that simply have to say no to sponsoring any further FIFO games and only support a true Tasmanian based club, to put a complete end to this North FIFO idea. It's really up to Tasmanians themselves as to what they will support financially, or not, as the case may be.

The AFL seem to have come up with idea.
The ball is in the Tas Govts court, the AFL seem to be keen to milk them for every cent it can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have just re-read that article (by big North fan Damien Barrett) and I'm a bit dubious, regardless of who came up with the idea. It proposes - "... a potentially lucrative one which could see the club maintain an 11 "home" game arrangement in Melbourne as well as servicing eight or nine matches in Hobart and Launceston." ...

It's completely unclear how many actual home games North will actually play in Melbourne (hence the inverted commas for "home"). Will all Tasmanian games be official home games?

Anyway, regardless of where this idea comes from, the Tasmanian Gov't and local councils just simply need to say no and it can't happen. I note that on the relevant Tassie thread on the North board, they fear (probably not without reason) an actual full relocation to Tasmania -

Its probably a condition of the CUB sponsorship.

Sounds about right. AFL teams can't be sponsored by car companies anymore unless they were sponsors prior to the AFL's deal with Toyota.

Have just re-read that article (by big North fan Damien Barrett) and I'm a bit dubious, regardless of who came up with the idea. It proposes - "... a potentially lucrative one which could see the club maintain an 11 "home" game arrangement in Melbourne as well as servicing eight or nine matches in Hobart and Launceston." ...

It's completely unclear how many actual home games North will actually play in Melbourne (hence the inverted commas for "home"). Will all Tasmanian games be official home games?

Anyway, regardless of where this idea comes from, the Tasmanian Gov't and local councils just simply need to say no and it can't happen. I note that on the relevant Tassie thread on the North board, they fear (probably not without reason) an actual full relocation to Tasmania -

Note that Barrett's article never actually mentions a quote from the AFL. He's saying what the could do, and that's apparently all you need to be a professional journalist.

North Melbourne aren't going to play 11 home games in Tasmania without some financial disaster that forces their hand.

Note that Barrett's article never actually mentions a quote from the AFL. He's saying what the could do, and that's apparently all you need to be a professional journalist.

North Melbourne aren't going to play 11 home games in Tasmania without some financial disaster that forces their hand.

Dont North get make up games like the Hawks, they are home games arent they?

Dont North get make up games like the Hawks, they are home games arent they?

Nah, not really. It is for me, because I have a GA membership, but I think a lot of the reserve seating people get ****ed over sometimes.

Growing up in WA one learns that the physically inferior, latte sipping, over sensitive, melodramatic and pc obsessed eastern states like to look down on us and pretend we're backward. We feel your pain tas. One day you'll get your own team.
But WA got the win over Collingwood two years ago in the gf at the MCG so Victoria loves us now

The Mercury 8.11
Quotes "sporting experts" who explain why it is essential that Tasmania has its own AFL team.

(Behind a paywall- can anyone open, & post here)

I read it but cant download it.

Just about a few 'experts' putting in their view. ie demographer Bernard Salt, ex Cricket Tas CEO Nick Cummins. Its about not continuing to pay FIFO sports clubs. Just those who are based here. ie commitment. Talking about the Task force report due in a few weeks. Also whatever sport, it needs to stand on its own two feet at some stage.

surely tassie could get warner bros to sponsor them and have the tasmanian devil from looney tunes as their mascot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back