News Tasmanian AFL campaign: The final push

Remove this Banner Ad

Its Happening GIF by MOODMAN

Seems we have stadium fund’s approval. #i#itshappeningLong over due re Tassie if true.
We've been waiting for decades, a few more sleeps won't hurt.

I'm just hoping it'll revive juniour & local football. Its all been on a downer for so long now. The local AFL branch office left the field for school & club football. Left it for soccer, Basketball, even mountain biking has also taken off.

So much to do to get the school kids back. Just a bit of care & attention might have avoided much of the current mess.

Exciting stuff guys!

I remember when the Labor party won the 2009 QLD election and I knew it meant we had secured the necessary stadium funding to enter the AFL. Sure enough, a week or two later it was confirmed we were entering the AFL and it was just such an exciting time to be a footy fan in my home city. I'm sure you guys will get just as much joy (if not more) as I did when we were confirmed entrants into the national league. Really happy for the whole of Tasmania for finally getting what they've deserved for decades!

Now the real work starts. It's going to take an all in approach from everyone involved to make this work. One thing I think you guys have got right is the government commitment of $60 million to build proper training and admin facilities from the start. I genuinely think that was a big reason as to why we failed in our first cycle of a list build and waiting for the 2018 Comm Games to piggyback their infrastructure build just didn't cut it. Very hard to convince a young interstate footballer to stay when he's training out of tin sheds for the first seven years of his career!

I'm going to assume you guys will also be granted an academy program that takes the same/similar form as the northern academies and that obviously means North will lose access to Tassie draft prospects at some point in the near future. If the 2027 start date is to be believed then the first draft intake for Tasmania is turning 15 years of age this year. I would also assume the entry model will be similar to ours/GWS'S where it will be a three year cycle of: 2025 - Coates League (full time), 2026 - VFL, 2027 - AFL. So you'll probably have exclusive access to all Tassie prospects born between 2007 - 2009 to fill those teams. So I dare say this year's U16 National Championships will be of great interest to you guys. Having a local flavour to the list from the very start is important in my opinion.

We've been waiting for decades, a few more sleeps won't hurt.

I'm just hoping it'll revive juniour & local football. Its all been on a downer for so long now. The local AFL branch office left the field for school & club football. Left it for soccer, Basketball, even mountain biking has also taken off.

So much to do to get the school kids back. Just a bit of care & attention might have avoided much of the current mess.

That’s for sure, if I recall the afl also said they will put money into local leagues etc and development. One thing I would love to see soon is a VFL Tassie side first and improvement with local as well.

750 million dollars spent on a ground that going to seat 23 thousand people wtf.
Agree. IMO the new stadium needs to be 40000 capacity if that sort of money is going to be spent on it. Another ready made stadium if Australia ever win the rights to host the mens FIFA world cup and a sufficient capacity if the team plays a big Victorian team with travelling numbers.

750 million dollars spent on a ground that going to seat 23 thousand people wtf.

Perth Stadium cost $820 million to build.
Including associated infrastructure it was $1.4 billion and including maintenance/ costs it's $1.8 billion.

The last figure was used by Eddie McGuire.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 years seems a bit late... considering GC and Giants were playing in the AFL in 2 years.

I would be satisfied with 3 year wait.
It's okay, I don't mind waiting. Especially if I have a VFL team to support in the meantime. Be good to have the stadium finished in time for the launch.

5 years seems a bit late... considering GC and Giants were playing in the AFL in 2 years.

I would be satisfied with 3 year wait.
Gil seemed to suggest in his press conference that a 2027 berth was still a possibility if the team was ready and willing to play one year in the existing Hobart/Launceston venues before moving into the new stadium in 2028.

Gil seemed to suggest in his press conference that a 2027 berth was still a possibility if the team was ready and willing to play one year in the existing Hobart/Launceston venues before moving into the new stadium in 2028.
They said all along the stadium won't be ready Until 2029 and knowing how long it takes with starting massive infrastructure projects in Tasmania it could be 2030 or later.

So hope that is the case. Sooner the better if you ask me. 2028 seems ages away lol

Really think it was *ing rude to put in the 2 expansion clubs before Tassie and the Top end, but, about time !

Obviously the Devils the pick of choice, but if not;
The SPIRITS ! -if every distillery kicks in a coulpa$K ought be paid for ;) , plus theres a certain ferry co, and a Superannuation firm, and - you know, convicts and ghosts and isolation, n Tassie Spirit!)

Or as we will likely be known for the Stadium; The TASSIE STADIUMS!? anyone?... Anyone?..
We'll be well ahead of other states in AFL stadiums/pop so, it just makes sense. Logo a Coluseumesqe stadium with legs (will be good when has to move inland due to rising sea levels)

No? How about the TAssie TURBO CHOOKS brrm brmm!!

Personally I dgaf about stadium, just team. Put em in *ing ROSS, or Campbell Town pretty central, and land is cheaper. just bang up a quick 10,000 pax motel and reopen Zepps. Get people out n into Tassie proper eh? Double Header with Symmons plains

Really think it was *ing rude to put in the 2 expansion clubs before Tassie and the Top end, but, about time !

Obviously the Devils the pick of choice, but if not;
The SPIRITS ! -if every distillery kicks in a coulpa$K ought be paid for ;) , plus theres a certain ferry co, and a Superannuation firm, and - you know, convicts and ghosts and isolation, n Tassie Spirit!)

Or as we will likely be known for the Stadium; The TASSIE STADIUMS!? anyone?... Anyone?..
We'll be well ahead of other states in AFL stadiums/pop so, it just makes sense. Logo a Coluseumesqe stadium with legs (will be good when has to move inland due to rising sea levels)

No? How about the TAssie TURBO CHOOKS brrm brmm!!

Personally I dgaf about stadium, just team. Put em in *ing ROSS, or Campbell Town pretty central, and land is cheaper. just bang up a quick 10,000 pax motel and reopen Zepps. Get people out n into Tassie proper eh? Double Header with Symmons plains

Bit early in the week for a bender isn't it? ;)

To have the stadium halfway between Hobart and Lonnie is a no brainer to me, the roof is a good idea due to that strong wind we get and as far as the turbo chooks go, no thanks.
Tazzy Devils sounds good.

e209478247620709e0c8eca217ca6750.jpg

A stadium halfway between Hobart & Lonnie is more like 'no brain' than a no brainer. ;)

Devils, yes.

A stadium halfway between Hobart & Lonnie is more like 'no brain' than a no brainer. ;)

Devils, yes.
To be fair for north of Tassie re traveling. Having people in Lonnie with less travel time making for a bigger crowd, more revenue. That's the thought behind the statement.

To be fair for north of Tassie re traveling. Having people in Lonnie with less travel time making for a bigger crowd, more revenue. That's the thought behind the statement.

They based it in Hobart as it has better infrastructure to support the team, players, partners, families.

The AFL wanted the inner-city stadium, & the roof.

Launceston will still get 4 games & better games with our own team, also AFLW & VFL.

People will travel to games locally & some will go to both grounds.

So what more do you want?

They based it in Hobart as it has better infrastructure to support the team, players, partners, families.

The AFL wanted the inner-city stadium, & the roof.

Launceston will still get 4 games & better games with our own team, also AFLW & VFL.

People will travel to games locally & some will go to both grounds.

So what more do you want?
I see what you're saying but this is just my opinion. A lot of people love Tassie but the young ones would more than likely prefer Hobart for the nightlife and schools for their kids when they have them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back