Taylor Walker voted captain of the year by his peers

Who's opinion do you trust more?

• Bigfooty members

• AFL peers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The players seem to respect him so that's all that matters. Like when Sloane was concussed and wouldn't get off the field Walker came over and told him to piss off and he did immediately.

I just find captains are a hard role to quantify for us supporters. Harley was a prime example who didn't seem amazing but the players sure as hell respected him and won 2 flags under him. So eh whatever Walker does it's working even we don't necessarily see it

Why don't all the super power brains of big footy posters in this thread just come out say who they think the best captain was? I can tell you now, of the top 8 teams, only Josh Kennedy would come close to Walker this year.
What's the criteria? If it's just a case of captaining the minor premiers then they got it right. Does it go to the captain who had the best personal form? Not sure that was Tex. If it's about exemplary leadership I'd nominate Cotchin for taking his team top 4 after massive knocks on the Tigers and himself the past few seasons. Alternatively Kennedy for picking his team up off the canvas after an 0-6 start to make the finals against the odds.

Why exactly should Shuey, Bontempelli, Wines and Coniglio captain their respective clubs? I don't really see them as the best leaders at their clubs, and "best player"/"one of the best players" isn't reason enough, and doesn't necessarily make them captaincy material.

IMO, Shannon Hurn should stay in place as captain of West Coast, Easton Wood and Callan Ward should be the lead/sole captains at the Bulldogs and GWS respectively, and Brad Ebert should captain Port Adelaide from next year onwards.
Wines will captain Port
Hurn is a joke
And I didn't say Coniglio should captain, I said Davis is a joke. He should replace him as a co-captain or just leave it to Ward entirely

Wines will captain Port
Hurn is a joke
And I didn't say Coniglio should captain, I said Davis is a joke. He should replace him as a co-captain or just leave it to Ward entirely

Yes, you've established your opinions already. I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Why will Wines captain Port Adelaide? Why is Hurn "a joke"? Why is Davis "a joke"? Why should Coniglio be co-captain of GWS?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's he done right? Last weeks win wasn't on him

It wasn't despite him, either. He was probably their second or third best player on the night (Shuey and McGovern being the other two names to mention), and I don't think there was any standout faults in leadership shown, either.

Hurn has had one of his best individual years (particularly his second half of the season) as well, so it's not as if he's lacking in that regard across the board, either.

What!!! Since when has Taylor Walker been captain!!! :D:D

I think he won it because his team was minor premier. It is too hard to judge who the best captain is in the league, most of the hard work would be done by them behind closed doors at training and mentoring. He doesn't seem like the most inspiring on field captain.
He was voted best captain last year too. We weren't minor premiers.

What a stupid thing to say. No one says he's a bad captain. You've now illicited stupid replies.
You don't go in to game day threads??? Every week supporters call him a flog and the weakest captain dog in the league. Every week. Don't make accusations that I'm making stuff up without backing it up.

Going off some of the comments here you would think Tex is a moron unaware he's even a footballer.
While he maybe a bit rough in the way he speaks at times I never thought he came across as particularly unintelligent. I often find most of he's responses to the constant dull and recycled questions quite genuine.
Jonathan Brown was a bit the same way, the way he speaks as a little rough but he's one of the better special commentators we have.

Going off some of the comments here you would think Tex is a moron unaware he's even a footballer.
While he maybe a bit rough in the way he speaks at times I never thought he came across as particularly unintelligent. I often find most of he's responses to the constant dull and recycled questions quite genuine.
Jonathan Brown was a bit the same way, the way he speaks as a little rough but he's one of the better special commentators we have.
Also known to have a very good football brain too, probably helps his captaincy, acts as a coach on the field

So much salt in this thread towards the Crows. We must be doing something right! Just imagine if we had a few top 10 draft picks in the last 10 years.

The players seem to respect him so that's all that matters. Like when Sloane was concussed and wouldn't get off the field Walker came over and told him to piss off and he did immediately.

I just find captains are a hard role to quantify for us supporters. Harley was a prime example who didn't seem amazing but the players sure as hell respected him and won 2 flags under him. So eh whatever Walker does it's working even we don't necessarily see it
Yep. I have always wondered what it was that Walsh saw in walker over Sloane as you can never tell sitting in the stands or from TV. If you've got something over Sloane, you must be doing something right. Van Berlo was also hated as captain on the crows bf board but apparently was rated incredibly highly as a captain within the club. There's a lot more to it than what supporters are privy to.

I guess at least opposition players can hear what goes on on the field.

Back