Spider Eater

Importer/Exporter
Feb 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Updated template - added some more collars, socks, shorts etc.

Flat-Template-2.png

New collar on my template. Just playing with the designs on there to make them fit better. Drop shadow is there because white trim would be invisible on a white background.
upload_2018-12-10_12-10-29.png

Probably about done now. Made a back for the new collar so the back is now done. Probably time to work on a new portfolio with it (I'd started and got like 1/5th way through before re-doing my template) but before I start, anything to fix?
upload_2018-12-11_18-55-49.png

Probably about done now. Made a back for the new collar so the back is now done. Probably time to work on a new portfolio with it (I'd started and got like 1/5th way through before re-doing my template) but before I start, anything to fix?
View attachment 594329

Looks way too vertically stretched, IMO. I’d take a look at fancyscum and his flat template - perfect proportions IMO.

Looks way too vertically stretched, IMO. I’d take a look at fancyscum and his flat template - perfect proportions IMO.
I sort of agree, but everyone said it was too short before and I feel like it would be the same if I widen it and I’d be back at square 1. Man, it’s like i can’t win with this. Also, Fancy’s template is a different style to mine. His is a jumper laid on the floor, mine is a jumper hung from a clothes hanger so it wouldn’t work, I find fancy’s to be a bit too wide for my liking.

I sort of agree, but everyone said it was too short before and I feel like it would be the same if I widen it and I’d be back at square 1. Man, it’s like i can’t win with this. Also, Fancy’s template is a different style to mine. His is a jumper laid on the floor, mine is a jumper hung from a clothes hanger so it wouldn’t work, I find fancy’s to be a bit too wide for my liking.
My template is perfectly proportioned, have a look:
Screen-Shot-2018-09-07-at-9.21.11-AM-1536326497-640x393.png

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
so i decided i'm bad at shading and needed to freshen up my template and embrace the flat look. looking at a match worn guernsey i've got, i tried to replicate the look a bit better than what i had previously. ditching the shading altogether i feel also looks cleaner, with the exception of the socks which looked a bit funny with no depth to them. i've also unashamedly snatched elements i liked from other templates, being dylan8's guernsey shape & outline style (the marseille kit for FIRA is so good!) and the top half of the front of FT/fancyscum's socks. not sure what the etiquette on this stuff is, but if you'd rather i change it to something fresh i'd happily do so.

planning on using the one collar style for now, i think the generic "v" represents enough of an idea, and i don't think the collar should be a focal point of it anyway. i also discovered how useful the solid colour tool is in photoshop. previously i was using the colour overlay layer style to apply colours. arrghhh.

OLD
03_CLASH.png

NEW
03_CLASH.png

any feedback would be appreciated! i'm thinking the shorts and socks need to be scaled up slightly in comparison to the guernsey.

so i decided i'm bad at shading and needed to freshen up my template and embrace the flat look. looking at a match worn guernsey i've got, i tried to replicate the look a bit better than what i had previously. ditching the shading altogether i feel also looks cleaner, with the exception of the socks which looked a bit funny with no depth to them. i've also unashamedly snatched elements i liked from other templates, being dylan8's guernsey shape & outline style (the marseille kit for FIRA is so good!) and the top half of the front of FT/fancyscum's socks. not sure what the etiquette on this stuff is, but if you'd rather i change it to something fresh i'd happily do so.

planning on using the one collar style for now, i think the generic "v" represents enough of an idea, and i don't think the collar should be a focal point of it anyway. i also discovered how useful the solid colour tool is in photoshop. previously i was using the colour overlay layer style to apply colours. arrghhh.

OLD
View attachment 633323

NEW
View attachment 633327

any feedback would be appreciated! i'm thinking the shorts and socks need to be scaled up slightly in comparison to the guernsey.
Much much much better! The cuffs seem a bit wonky but that's my annoying picky eyes talking and if you want to leave them how they are the Guernsey will still be very nice

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I like both your template styles there exile , you do super clean work! I've never really had a go at a proper flat template and personally I think they're a lot more difficult to do well than a shaded template, but you've nailed that.

Definitely have a go at some of the league style competitions that pop up when you get the time, like NAFL or CanAm. You'd be a natural.

I honestly reckon flat templates are the way to go now, preserves the design which is the most important thing in FJGD comps.
It depends I reckon, both can be pulled off well but different templates work better for different designs.

For my stuff I’ve been doing with the YI template, I create my designs in Ai on my flat template and then import them to Ps to go on the realistic template. What I’ve found is that the more minimal cleaner designs (like my can-am guernsey for this year) work better on the flat template, but a more busy design like my London one is far better on a 3D template. If you can have a solid one of each and then be able to pick which projects go on what, that’s when you’ll get the best results.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I like both your template styles there exile , you do super clean work! I've never really had a go at a proper flat template and personally I think they're a lot more difficult to do well than a shaded template, but you've nailed that.

Definitely have a go at some of the league style competitions that pop up when you get the time, like NAFL or CanAm. You'd be a natural.
thanks mate! i think a well executed 3d/realistic template presents a lot better than the flat templates, but i do like the clean look the flat templates give off. puts the emphasis more on the design than the presentation. i was thinking of trying my hand at NAFL reserves or something this year! my previous flat guernsey template didn't fare too well in the FIRA recently but i think that had more to do with how far behind the pack my actual designs were! haha.

if anyone wants to use my template to test it out and give some feedback on how it works i'd be happy to chuck a download link up.

cottoneyeYeo

All Australian
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
thanks mate! i think a well executed 3d/realistic template presents a lot better than the flat templates, but i do like the clean look the flat templates give off. puts the emphasis more on the design than the presentation. i was thinking of trying my hand at NAFL reserves or something this year! my previous flat guernsey template didn't fare too well in the FIRA recently but i think that had more to do with how far behind the pack my actual designs were! haha.

if anyone wants to use my template to test it out and give some feedback on how it works i'd be happy to chuck a download link up.
would love to give it a try mate

It depends I reckon, both can be pulled off well but different templates work better for different designs.

For my stuff I’ve been doing with the YI template, I create my designs in Ai on my flat template and then import them to Ps to go on the realistic template. What I’ve found is that the more minimal cleaner designs (like my can-am guernsey for this year) work better on the flat template, but a more busy design like my London one is far better on a 3D template. If you can have a solid one of each and then be able to pick which projects go on what, that’s when you’ll get the best results.
I'd use my YI template a lot more but even when I turn shading and all down it still doesn't look right. Also can't find a way to change the collar in to a typical-looking one, but I'm sure I'll find better use for it one day.

cottoneyeYeo

All Australian
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
hey mate, I've been using this template for a few days now and really like it took me a while to figure out how to use it as I'm quite new to designing but I've finally got a feel for it and started creating some nice designs I've put a few designs I've made below, if its okay with you id love to use it in the clash jumper comp and creating a few jumper ideas totally up to you tho :) richmond 2019.png collingwood 3.png

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
hey mate, I've been using this template for a few days now and really like it took me a while to figure out how to use it as I'm quite new to designing but I've finally got a feel for it and started creating some nice designs I've put a few designs I've made below, if its okay with you id love to use it in the clash jumper comp and creating a few jumper ideas totally up to you tho :) View attachment 637058View attachment 637059
nice stuff mate! yeah sounds good, go for it. i was thinking when i had to use a dark jumper you could invert the stitching and detailing layers from black to white (or a light grey) to still give the bit of depth to it.

This thread hasn't been used for a while, but I don't care.
I'm working on a basketball template, how do we like it? Obviously I'm gonna fix up things in the design that need fixing, but strictly on the template, yay/nay?

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Funnily enough, I'd say that's too short vertically for a basketball jersey. I'd probably add some shading where the front of the collar overlaps with the back of it. The bottom of the front of the collar could also do with some touching up as there are rough edges on the top and the bottom appears cut off compared to the white stripe down the middle.

Funnily enough, I'd say that's too short vertically for a basketball jersey. I'd probably add some shading where the front of the collar overlaps with the back of it. The bottom of the front of the collar could also do with some touching up as there are rough edges on the top and the bottom appears cut off compared to the white stripe down the middle.
For a modern jersey I'd definitely agree, however it's a retro template traced off this from Mitchell and Ness. I think it captures what I need. Collar and cuffs were from one of their other jerseys

Alas, here are the fixes so far. I think it looks much better, cheers Baz! I turned off the layer with the holes because it didn't match the era of the jersey.

Back