Test cricket is dying, let's help save it

Remove this Banner Ad

A huge talent Glenn Maxwell we have wasted by giving him near no chance of playing more test cricket because of this T20 type cricket s**t and no shield games since I think 2019.Playing more test cricket especially in Australia would have put bums on seats.One of the best fieldsman in the world,handy spin baller and batting 5 or 6 in a test side we have lost that opportunity.

A huge talent Glenn Maxwell we have wasted by giving him near no chance of playing more test cricket because of this T20 type cricket sh*t and no shield games since I think 2019.Playing more test cricket especially in Australia would have put bums on seats.One of the best fieldsman in the world,handy spin baller and batting 5 or 6 in a test side we have lost that opportunity.
So talent is a more important ingredient for success than discipline? And yet you're attempting to present yourself as a purist...

Regardless, this T20 s**t helped launch the Test career of a far better player in David Warner. A guy like Maxwell is only comparable in regards to the grief he would've caused the team, and all of us, by doing as many stupid things as his opportunities allowed.

So talent is a more important ingredient for success than discipline? And yet you're attempting to present yourself as a purist...

Regardless, this T20 sh*t helped launch the Test career of a far better player in David Warner. A guy like Maxwell is only comparable in regards to the grief he would've caused the team, and all of us, by doing as many stupid things as his opportunities allowed.

Good comment about Warner,not sure what grief Maxwell caused in his brief test career and can you please elaborate on his stupid things in his test career.

If we played a sub continent series annually I think Maxwell would have played a lot more Tests. His century against India in 2017 is one of my favourite cricket moments in the last decade.

I also do think he is a victim (for lack of a better word) of missing out on so much red ball cricket due to his place in the Australian ODI and T20I teams. He even had to give up $1 million in the IPL so that he could play County cricket one season just to keep his Test dream alive.

Its unlikely he'd ever have averaged 45+ in Test cricket. But I believe its a shame he never got a run of Tests to have a decent crack at it. In his limited appearances he has been used as an opener and at 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 in the batting order.

Good comment about Warner,not sure what grief Maxwell caused in his brief test career and can you please elaborate on his stupid things in his test career.
Coming in at no.3 in the 4th innings when we're batting for a draw, and trying (and failing) to reverse sweep. 3 years until another call-up after that was pretty lenient on the Damien Martyn scale.

Either you see why such a player is responsible for his own shortcomings, or you don't, and I doubt I can change that (and I'm sure it's not worth trying). But slagging off white ball cricket as the intro to a pro-Maxwell speech reeks of disingenuousness.

Anybody who's ever wanted da big show playing more Test cricket has come to that conclusion after watching a lot of BBL etc. So why say "T20 s**t" when it's clear you love it.

Coming in at no.3 in the 4th innings when we're batting for a draw, and trying (and failing) to reverse sweep. 3 years until another call-up after that was pretty lenient on the Damien Martyn scale.

Either you see why such a player is responsible for his own shortcomings, or you don't, and I doubt I can change that (and I'm sure it's not worth trying). But slagging off white ball cricket as the intro to a pro-Maxwell speech reeks of disingenuousness.

Anybody who's ever wanted da big show playing more Test cricket has come to that conclusion after watching a lot of BBL etc. So why say "T20 sh*t" when it's clear you love it.
He didn't get out reverse sweeping though? This is the description of his dismissal from that innings:

11.2 big lbw appeal, given not out, Pakistan have reviewed. It was the skidder that came in from outside off as Maxwell went back to punch. It cramped him and hit him on the back thigh, which is very close to the stumps... is it hitting or is it clearing the top of the stumps? It's struck him in front of middle stump and it's crashing into the top of leg. Australia are two down. 31/2

If we played a sub continent series annually I think Maxwell would have played a lot more Tests. His century against India in 2017 is one of my favourite cricket moments in the last decade.

I also do think he is a victim (for lack of a better word) of missing out on so much red ball cricket due to his place in the Australian ODI and T20I teams. He even had to give up $1 million in the IPL so that he could play County cricket one season just to keep his Test dream alive.

Its unlikely he'd ever have averaged 45+ in Test cricket. But I believe its a shame he never got a run of Tests to have a decent crack at it. In his limited appearances he has been used as an opener and at 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 in the batting order.
Look he was stiff, he has never been treated fairly under Langer.

He performed very well in the shield after coming back from India despite being left out of the test side. Then they don’t pick him for South Africa even after the suspensions and they don’t pick him for the UAE tour. That just poor by Langer

Look he was stiff, he has never been treated fairly under Langer.

He performed very well in the shield after coming back from India despite being left out of the test side. Then they don’t pick him for South Africa even after the suspensions and they don’t pick him for the UAE tour. That just poor by Langer

Similar with the last Ashes series in England.The game after the world cup between the 2 Australian sides which the selectors decided on the 16 man squad for the ashes Maxwell did not even make the 22 or so players to play in this game.The only reason I can find for him not being selected in this game is a disappointing World Cup and surely his form in the shorter version of the game should not have prevented him playing in that game.

Snowball's chance in um, Pakistan this tour goes ahead. Not after England and the Kiwis recently abandoned tours.

yep, put out a nice media release advocating a potential tour only to cancel it a couple of months before it was to go ahead. Get the good press now and then just duck out of the way of the tour later.

He didn't get out reverse sweeping though? This is the description of his dismissal from that innings:
That's why I didn't say he got out reverse sweeping. I said he tried and failed, which I don't think can be disputed:

Hafeez to Maxwell, no run
He's nearly bowled trying to reverse-sweep. It's almost a leg stump yorker, and he misses, and the ball only misses the stumps
Really stupid thing, which he survived by luck with the team still needing to face another 120 odd overs.

After that brain fade, it wasn't very surprising to see him get out a minute later to end his gutsy 12-ball knock. More surprising is somebody claiming to hate "T20 s**t" but wanting Maxwell in the Test team.

That's why I didn't say he got out reverse sweeping. I said he tried and failed, which I don't think can be disputed:

Really stupid thing, which he survived by luck with the team still needing to face another 120 odd overs.

After that brain fade, it wasn't very surprising to see him get out a minute later to end his gutsy 12-ball knock. More surprising is somebody claiming to hate "T20 sh*t" but wanting Maxwell in the Test team.
Is it that stupid when Usman Khawaja used the same tactic 4 years later in a 4th innings batting for a draw? Where he played it 21 times in a 300-ball knock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it that stupid when Usman Khawaja used the same tactic 4 years later in a 4th innings batting for a draw? Where he played it 21 times in a 300-ball knock.

Any time you get out to it its a dumb shot. Goes that way for a lot of dismissals - someone smashes a six - 'great shot', same bloke goes for it again and gets out 'what a dickhead'. Multiply that by 10 for a reverse sweep.

It's stupid to play premeditated shots early in an innings before getting a good feel for the conditions.

But a left-hander reverse sweeping a wrong'un going away from the stumps is not the same tactic as a right-hander reverse sweeping an off-break pitching on middle. Definitely different levels of stupid there.

Besides that, Khawaja is also guilty of doing plenty of stupid things in the Test arena--for which he is to blame, not T20 cricket.

It's stupid to play premeditated shots early in an innings before getting a good feel for the conditions.

But a left-hander reverse sweeping a wrong'un going away from the stumps is not the same tactic as a right-hander reverse sweeping an off-break pitching on middle. Definitely different levels of stupid there.

Besides that, Khawaja is also guilty of doing plenty of stupid things in the Test arena--for which he is to blame, not T20 cricket.
There's nothing wrong with premeditated shots. Steve Waugh premeditated not hooking for years and it was smart play.

You just have a bee in your bonnet about the reverse sweep.

After that brain fade, it wasn't very surprising to see him get out a minute later to end his gutsy 12-ball knock. More surprising is somebody claiming to hate "T20 sh*t" but wanting Maxwell in the Test team.

I am not saying Maxwell should be in the test team at the moment,I would like him to be given more opportunity to play shield cricket or even premier cricket and lets see how he goes.

There's nothing wrong with premeditated shots. Steve Waugh premeditated not hooking for years and it was smart play.
What are you talking about. Recognising a short-pitched delivery and then reacting to it, either in an attacking or defensive way, is not a premeditated shot.

You just have a bee in your bonnet about the reverse sweep.
Yeah, when it's used at the wrong time.

Seems to me that the person who would have a blanket distaste for the reverse sweep would be the person who espouses a blanket distaste for short form cricket. Yet that person is keen on Maxwell, and some of you are nodding along like "yep makes sense, T20 bad, Maxi good".

I am not saying Maxwell should be in the test team at the moment,I would like him to be given more opportunity to play shield cricket or even premier cricket and lets see how he goes.
That's up to Maxwell, it's not "we" who are responsible for his career choices like you claim.

What are you talking about. Recognising a short-pitched delivery and then reacting to it, either in an attacking or defensive way, is not a premeditated shot.

Yeah, when it's used at the wrong time.

Seems to me that the person who would have a blanket distaste for the reverse sweep would be the person who espouses a blanket distaste for short form cricket. Yet that person is keen on Maxwell, and some of you are nodding along like "yep makes sense, T20 bad, Maxi good".

That's up to Maxwell, it's not "we" who are responsible for his career choices like you claim.

Over the last 12 months the Australian selectors have asked Maxwell to focus on the T20 and 1 day cups.He even gave up 1 year of the IPL to play county cricket to try and give him the opportunity of playing test cricket again.Playing in the world cup and then not making the 2 squads that played a game to decide the 16 man squad for the ashes I personally thought a strange decision.

Over the last 12 months the Australian selectors have asked Maxwell to focus on the T20 and 1 day cups.He even gave up 1 year of the IPL to play county cricket to try and give him the opportunity of playing test cricket again.Playing in the world cup and then not making the 2 squads that played a game to decide the 16 man squad for the ashes I personally thought a strange decision.

I have no doubt he has the talent to play test cricket, but he simply doesn't have the mindset. He can't sit out a good spell of bowling letting good balls go through to the keeper. He can't help himself having a swing at them eventually and that is just suicide batting in test cricket.
He has chosen to take the short form of the game path, even if Australian selectors have encouraged him to concentrate on the short form of the game he could of said no and play shield cricket if he wanted to be a test cricketer.
We are going to see many players like Maxwell going forward, the money will pull them towards the short form of the game and their dreams will take a back seat.
Maybe in times things will change as more and more of the short form of the game is played but I still believe only in Test Cricket is where you are judged as a cricketer. If you don't make it at test match level I don't think you will ever be rated like someone who has.

I have no doubt he has the talent to play test cricket, but he simply doesn't have the mindset. He can't sit out a good spell of bowling letting good balls go through to the keeper. He can't help himself having a swing at them eventually and that is just suicide batting in test cricket.

Neither can Head. Or Warner if we are being honest. Maxy had the ability to come in at 6 and change the game imho, he just didn't get the chance much.

Neither can Head. Or Warner if we are being honest. Maxy had the ability to come in at 6 and change the game imho, he just didn't get the chance much.

I am not a fan of Head but Warner has well and truly proved himself. He doesn't throw the bat much at all anymore. When you bat like Maxwell does you have to take your chances and he didn't do that. What others have or have not done doesn't matter. He has shown that he has not performed at the long form of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back