Tex Walker: How high is he rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as i love ripping on the big Texan, he’s never been the same player since he did his knee against the blues.
On his day, a great presence, but, stocks have definitely gone down and his leadership has been exposed.
Crows fans will be better placed to answer this question, if Tex isn’t captain, who should be?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

I did some quick graphs (using the excellent fitzRoy R package https://github.com/jimmyday12/fitzRoy) to look at average Marks, Disposals, Goals+Assists for each year of the current key forwards (Franklin, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Brown, Cameron, Tex)

You can see that:
  • Buddy is clearly #1
  • Tex is mostly #2 over an 8ish year career.[/ATTACH]
Good baseline. I wonder if it is possible to get these statistics as a percentage of total team statistics and/or as a ratio against forward 50 entries for the forwards? I think that would show a lot more about reliance on team performance or ability to impose on a game were the team is not performing so well.

All BS aside, he's probably the worst captain in the AFL. Saw a goal tonight from Walker, and Sloane didn't even look at him, then patted another player on the back. Can't be that close knit.

Could it be that within the club, they know Sloane is gone? If so, we all know how Mrs Walker reacted when Lever walked out.

Just sayin......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respected for what he did after the death of Phil Walsh in bringing the club together.
Lost a hell of a lot of respect during last years finals series with his self entitled carry on.

Great boot, 1 of the biggest in the game, can bomb a goal from 60+ as we saw on the weekend and plenty of other occasions, doesn't mind the odd laced out assist either.

Voted best afl captain by his peers. Averages about 60 goals a year plus the assists in a multi pronged forward line where Eddie kicks 50, Jenkins 40 and McGovern at their heels.

But he also has an almighty number of haters. Every week it's "most overrated spud" "captain courageous" "Power stance this or power stance that".

Edit : Apologies.

Correction :

2017 - 54 goals vs Joe daniher 65
2016 - 47 vs Joe daniher 43
2015 - 59 vs Joe daniher 34
2014 - injured. 1st game was round 9 kicked 34 for the season so similar based on average. Vs Joe daniher 28 goals in a full season..

You get the idea.

Clearly his stats are better than Joe danihers yet everyone carries on like Joe daniher is a superstar and Tex is a pleb.

So how good is he really?
Ben Brown is a much better player than Daniher.

Tom Hawkins:

2x premiership player, 1x AA, 1x B&F winner, 6x leading goalkicker (will be 7 this year), number of big game performances most notably 2011 GF.

Taylor Walker:

2x leading goalkicker, gone missing in a string of big games most notably 2017 GF.

Please don’t compare them. There is no comparison.

Tex averages more goals, more marks than hawkins which is a fairly important stat when comparing forwards. I think the comparison can be looked at.

It must be a mystery to you why he was voted by the players as best captain in the AFL for both of the last two years. But really, what would they know?
The same players who votes Cameron Ling the AFL's best looking player?
Those guys?

The same players who votes Cameron Ling the AFL's best looking player?
Those guys?
Who was that player the Lions voted most brave or something each year? Someone who was a Squibb....

It must be a mystery to you why he was voted by the players as best captain in the AFL for both of the last two years. But really, what would they know?
You do know it's an open secret that many of the players don't take these votes seriously and often have coordinated gag votes?

Him winning is clearly an insult...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back