News Thank you Bolts

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolts seems like a great bloke and I wish him all the best. This however is the correct decision, I think back to last season when the Blues play Adelaide, I took a photo and posted it Carlton started with 0 players in the forward 50 and 2 players on the square. twice Cripps won the ball out of the centre and kicked it to 4 crows.

How can the kids develop strategically when being coached like this? I look forward to Teague coming in and hopefully the players can dig in and get a few wins on the board.
surely you and your camera will apply for the position.....

I wonder what would have happened if Geelong sacked Bomber, if the Hawks sacked Clarkson, if the tiger's sacked Dimma and if Collingwood sacked Bucks.

End of the day I maintain the issues are well and truely beyond the coach and we killed a good man's career today, or maybe before today when Neil Criag went and was never replaced?

If we end up with Brad Scott that will be me done

Bolts, thank you. We are sorry you had to fall on the sword but the way you carried yourself week after week under such s**t conditions is to be commended.

I remember your call on the boundary after we beat the Dogs “Happy easter Baggers”... you love the club and have hopefully set up the youngsters for success.

I wonder what would have happened if Geelong sacked Bomber, if the Hawks sacked Clarkson, if the tiger's sacked Dimma and if Collingwood sacked Bucks.

End of the day I maintain the issues are well and truely beyond the coach and we killed a good man's career today, or maybe before today when Neil Criag went and was never replaced?

If we end up with Brad Scott that will be me done

How about if port kept primus, dogs kept McCartney or Gold Coast kept Eade?

Bolts is a good guy, but it was clearly not working on field. I gave him a pass for last year on the back of lots going wrong but wanted to see something this year.

At the beginning of the season if you said we would be 1-10 I think most would of expected Bolts to be gone.

It can be really hard to get motivated in a team that is always losing, especially if you are an older player so I get that. I've been there. Footy hurts, it hurts more when you're older, it's hard work, it's harder when you're older. You need something to motivate you to keep going and keep trying and keep pushing through pain and fatigue.

It's a tough one. The coach can't give the players what they need to motivate them and that is wins, they simply aren't good enough to win.

A new coach will have a motivating effect on a playing group short term so hopefully that can start something.

You have to wonder, we had a strange agreement with him didn't we where he was employed as general staff and not a contracted coach? You may know better than me, all I remember is it was unusual. I wonder if this event was one which was seen.

I mean doing what we are doing with no foundation, we're going to be bottom for 5 years. Not many coaches can survive that let alone at Carlton.

It's a tricky one, players need winning incentive to be motivated, players aren't good enough to win most games.

I don't doubt a new voice will motivate them and hopefully things follow on a bit.

I am hopeful our replacement will be good enough to stick with it and follow through.

Yeah GB, managing the older players is tricky when the “short term pain for long term gain” mantra doesn’t really apply, because for them there is no long term. Perhaps it’s why Simmo has looked more grumpy than I’ve ever seen him this season, and maybe it’s even been partly responsible for Daisy’s recent brain fades. Hopefully our change of coach will allow all of our players, including the “senior citizens”, to enjoy their footy a little more moving forward, as it seemed to do for North on Friday night.

As for Bolts employment status up until this morning, I must admit that I’m terrible at remembering that sort of thing, but iirc I think we switched him from a rolling employee status to a more conventional coaching contract a while back. Perhaps other posters can confirm or correct this? If we did, then I wonder what the financial ramifications are from today’s decision ... not that they would sway me from thinking that we did what we needed to do in parting ways with Bolts.

I really wanted to see him make it.

Wanted to see a bloke like him have success over those surly blokes (like Malthouse) who think coaching gives them the right to act superior to others.

Still has a lucrative future as an assistant in football probably with a post at Brisbane next year.

Bolts is a class act.

Tough call - its not like he was the one who made all the trades and the draft picks.

He was the poor bugger stuck with what he had received - injuries and some kids who don't know how to win.

Hope some club offers him a gig as he seems to still have great enthusiasm for the game and younger talent.

Good on ya Bolts - true professional and a nice bloke

One thing u can say for Bolts is he is a class act. 1-10 was just untenable I believed in Bolts, but how the players were playing the last couple of weeks .... zero confidence .... there was just no other way.

I bought in with Bolts but I think the correct decision was made. It’s a brutal industry.

Some players should sleep uneasy tonight.

We need to find the right coach! The right support!

Easier said than done unfortunately.

After his stint at Hawthorn maybe Ratts is the man but I think that’s a tough ask.

A lot of coaches would lick their lips for this list right now.

Even though it's the right decision it's hard not to feel awful for Bolts during his farewell speech
I genuinely don't think I've felt worse watching a coach being sacked. He's clearly such a good person, it's awful it had to happen this way.

But, it is the right choice. As painful as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very unlucky man, he wasn't given the resources for successes, and was basically given the job on a limited tenure, was a very young andrivers undersized list. Also at a time where the afl is probably at its most even of all time. I mean we traded gibbs, thuohy, henderson etc, so we knew it would be a grindin. but we have been absolutely cruelled by injury in the last 2 seasons, and can never get a break from the umpires.

So after baying for blood and getting it, the noble self appointed antagonists of Carltons every move have no solutions other than to sack everyone just because.

It really is no wonder we are last and as long as there is so much anti-carlton in carlton circles it willl stay this way.
Nothing will ever change regardless of changes until the negative spin that creates a web of failure evaporates and some agressive positivity permeates the club and its supporter base. In other words we get exactly what the majority expects like a perpetual self fulfilling prophecy.

Look at the facts and its very clear that we have sacked a coach because of pressure from outside and have no idea what to do next.
Its very clear that the pressure was allowed to filter in and affect all areas of the club. They fell over at the first hurdle.

Hold your head high Bolts. It was the right course you steered and now your gone it's a rudderless ship once again.
We now have no spiritual front of house leader and its a sad state of affairs. Its very likely that all we have left is another half season of limping along to another unknown future that lies ahead.

I had the feeling that another year and it all would have turned. I know I wasnt the only one. Instead of strength of purpose we get a hierarchy that fails in the task of asking why the team lost its spirit and defending the players through the tough time of growing together. Instead of supporting them they just did the easiest thing and made a scapegoat. In true modern carlton fashion it didnt have the guts for the fight.

So long Brendon and thanks for all the fish.

Last edited:
Bolts seems like a great bloke and I wish him all the best. This however is the correct decision, I think back to last season when the Blues play Adelaide, I took a photo and posted it Carlton started with 0 players in the forward 50 and 2 players on the square. twice Cripps won the ball out of the centre and kicked it to 4 crows.

How can the kids develop strategically when being coached like this? I look forward to Teague coming in and hopefully the players can dig in and get a few wins on the board.

Yet for all the complaints as to our forward structure, our forward coach has been picked as the interim coach.

Class act from start to finish. Caring and passionate about the club in all aspects.

Elite sport is a brutal business and administration apathy won’t serve you well. Went through the correct appointment process and took an educated gamble on a realistically untried coach without a comparable track record. For whatever reason it didn’t work.

Hopefully it sends a strong message to the playing group of the realities of underperforming in this industry and the potential consequences.

Whoever picks him up as an assistant coach will strike gold.

All the best Brendan.

:thumbsu: Great response.

Regardless of the end result the guy worked his butt of toward the betterment of Carlton (the way he believed was right) and bled Blue while he was there.

I'd reckon a lot of the young men at the club are better people for knowing and working with Bolts.

Hopefully the next coach can run with the work already done and take us back to finals.

I've thought it all through from every angle I can think of and it boils down to a few missed goals here and there - easy ones that some coach killers on our list keep missing. Still believe that Bolton should still be the coach and that a better strategy would have been to improve the resources around him just as Collingwood/Richmond were smart enough to do. Will miss him because he is a quality human being and they aren't that common these days.

All the best Mr Bolton your efforts , demeanor and decency will be remembered and appreciated for many years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back