That ship sailed over a week ago.....

Remove this Banner Ad

ship is sailing into stormy waters perhaps?

what are the scenarios when it comes to walking out on contracts? Would it require AFLPA intervention? Could we pick Gibbs up as a DFA or in the PSD?

I'm happy to explore the possibilities for Triggy's benefit ;)

Trigg, SOS and Bolton currently...

0rp0ex.jpg

I'm fairly sure we will get him next off season. A player asking two years in a row to return home and not being allowed to by their club would be a bad look for Carlton, the AFL and the AFLPA.
Might only cost us a second rounder and a player as well.. Carlton probably cost themselves a first rounder here.

I'm fairly sure we will get him next off season. A player asking two years in a row to return home and not being allowed to by their club would be a bad look for Carlton, the AFL and .
Why ? He's got a 6 figure contract. Harden up and honour it. You had your chance a few years ago and went all " I'm a blue boy for life".

I don't see how he'd suddenly come to us as a second round pick next year. He's still contracted so why would Carlton suddenly take far less for him? Obviously I wouldn't want to pay much more given the age he'd be but they don't really benefit by getting a second rounder for Gibbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give up a first rounder for Gibbs next year if it was 13 again (or higher). Just flippin' get him.

And Josh Kennedy. And Jackson Edwards.

I'd give up a first rounder for Gibbs next year if it was 13 again (or higher). Just flippin' get him.

I wouldn't.

1st rounder for someone who will be 29 when he 1st plays for us is overs.

Why ? He's got a 6 figure contract. Harden up and honour it. You had your chance a few years ago and went all " I'm a blue boy for life".

Yeah heck him. Made his bloody bed now he can lay in it for 3 more years.

Do you really believe he wanted to move for family reasons?

I'm not sure I do. Don't care mind

In the interview his old man did with the Advertiser he was quoted as saying that we went a lot harder than we previously had done with Bryce. I didn't know what to make of it because it clearly implies that we went after him, but it would be pretty ballsy to go on record that he came to us at the 11th hour, thereby dumping it all in his lap. Could easily unravel and make some people look very silly.

Trigg is the master of spin. What will be more revealing is whether Gibbs is in the leadership group next year (if it's voted on by the players).

Perhaps Gibbs should have made his intentions known a little earlier. I can't see that this was a last minute decision on his part.
The timing worked for Carlton as they were seen as being cornered and their hard nosed attitude was justified.
Had it played out after round 23 for example Carlton's reaction might have been met with less sympathy.
Perhaps the AFLPA may have been willing to get more involved.

I've very little sympathy for Gibbs. He had his chance to come home a few years ago and didn't take it. Not sure why we wasted the trade period going after a contracted player in the first place.

Do you have gold fish memory? Do you really want us going back to the bad old days of trading away our prime picks for players in the twilight of their career? Did the Wayne Carey trade for pick 2 and pick 18 work out well in bizarro universe?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back