AFLW The 16 Marquee Players Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
http://www.[NB: girlsplayfooty doma.../marquee-players-for-womens-afl-teams_27.html

"
The AFL has announced the two marquee players for each of the eight respective clubs that will take part in the inaugural national women's league next year.

The Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Carlton Blues, Collingwood Magpies, Fremantle Dockers, GWS Giants, Melbourne Demons and Western Bulldogs have all been assigned two marquee players for 2017 after submitting a list of preferences to the AFL.

The AFL was then tasked with meeting the demands of the eight clubs while simultaneously creating an even spread of top tier talent.

Marquee players will essentially be the faces of each team, at least from a marketing standpoint, and are expected to be standouts in the upcoming competition.

The Demons obtained superstar midfielder Daisy Pearce and prominent defender Melissa Hickey, both of whom have represented Melbourne in all of its six exhibition matches since 2013."

***More in article link at the top***

http://www.[NB: girlsplayfooty doma.../marquee-players-for-womens-afl-teams_27.html

"
The AFL has announced the two marquee players for each of the eight respective clubs that will take part in the inaugural national women's league next year.

The Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Carlton Blues, Collingwood Magpies, Fremantle Dockers, GWS Giants, Melbourne Demons and Western Bulldogs have all been assigned two marquee players for 2017 after submitting a list of preferences to the AFL.

The AFL was then tasked with meeting the demands of the eight clubs while simultaneously creating an even spread of top tier talent.

Marquee players will essentially be the faces of each team, at least from a marketing standpoint, and are expected to be standouts in the upcoming competition.

The Demons obtained superstar midfielder Daisy Pearce and prominent defender Melissa Hickey, both of whom have represented Melbourne in all of its six exhibition matches since 2013."

***More in article link at the top***
More marquee players from WA than Vic is a surprise. Did the Vic's not want to move, or did the club's go after WA players from the start.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I believe the aim was to spread the WA players, so Freo would not be so dominate.
With Freo getting a quarter of WAs Top end talent, they certainly did that.

Hopefully this is good long term for WA, as girls here will certainly know that footy can give you opportunities. There are also going to be 6 more spots open up

With Freo getting a quarter of WAs Top end talent, they certainly did that.

Hopefully this is good long term for WA, as girls here will certainly know that footy can give you opportunities. There are also going to be 6 more spots open up

Hopefully they add a state of origin round as well later in the year W.A would be brutal

Any whispers on what the clubs will pay them over and above the 25,000, when they get seperate club positions in each set up. Remember there are a lot eyes watching this League get underway if the reports can be believed.
The salary cap is alleged to be 180,000 for 23 players?? = 7826 per player for 8 weeks if evenly divided up or will it be graded on their ability.
What other income is possible over the season for the non marquees??

Any whispers on what the clubs will pay them over and above the 25,000, when they get seperate club positions in each set up. Remember there are a lot eyes watching this League get underway if the reports can be believed.
The salary cap is alleged to be 180,000 for 23 players?? = 7826 per player for 8 weeks if evenly divided up or will it be graded on their ability.
What other income is possible over the season for the non marquees??
What they are getting will be jobs (if they want them) and opportunity. Brianna Davey gets part time employment, that will no doubt be fit in around her studies. Darcy Vescio gets graphic design work funnelled her way by Carlton. Daisy gets an apprenticeship with Melbourne, and the opportunity of a post playing career in football. Kelly Gibson got a development role with SANFL. Katie Brennan will have her strength and conditioning business pushed forward by the club (and the AFL), etc. I suspect they all got something, and it would be different for each player.

As for non marquee players, thats a big question, and one we will not know the answer to until after the full lists are signed, and maybe not even then. Going by what has happened so far, there will be no restriction on jobs given outside the football, so key players may get employment, but clubs cannot give work to the whole list.

Remember, at this point, most of the players involved would not have imagined being paid to play footy until recently. So their lives outside footy are already planned/underway. The short season is I think in part so it interrupts normal lives as little as possible. So my guess, emphasising guess, is that key non marquee players will get various inducements, but most of the list will not get much more. What they will get is training schedules and times based around the requirements of part time players, the possibility of being on the ground floor as the whole thing grows. The possibility that the league will progressively lift the pay scale, and number of `marquee` players each year, so opportunities will open up.

Its a doorway to a full time career in football, that never existed before for women. Plenty will want to walk through, quite a few will not make it (exactly the same as for the guys).

I think we will see more women with full time careers on and off the pitch in footy in Australia, than in all the other female team sports put together within a fairly short timeframe.

What they are getting will be jobs (if they want them) and opportunity. Brianna Davey gets part time employment, that will no doubt be fit in around her studies. Darcy Vescio gets graphic design work funnelled her way by Carlton. Daisy gets an apprenticeship with Melbourne, and the opportunity of a post playing career in football. Kelly Gibson got a development role with SANFL. Katie Brennan will have her strength and conditioning business pushed forward by the club (and the AFL), etc. I suspect they all got something, and it would be different for each player.

As for non marquee players, thats a big question, and one we will not know the answer to until after the full lists are signed, and maybe not even then. Going by what has happened so far, there will be no restriction on jobs given outside the football, so key players may get employment, but clubs cannot give work to the whole list.

Remember, at this point, most of the players involved would not have imagined being paid to play footy until recently. So their lives outside footy are already planned/underway. The short season is I think in part so it interrupts normal lives as little as possible. So my guess, emphasising guess, is that key non marquee players will get various inducements, but most of the list will not get much more. What they will get is training schedules and times based around the requirements of part time players, the possibility of being on the ground floor as the whole thing grows. The possibility that the league will progressively lift the pay scale, and number of `marquee` players each year, so opportunities will open up.

Its a doorway to a full time career in football, that never existed before for women. Plenty will want to walk through, quite a few will not make it (exactly the same as for the guys).

I think we will see more women with full time careers on and off the pitch in footy in Australia, than in all the other female team sports put together within a fairly short timeframe.

Jatz - Thanks for a great reply, and I guess you answered a lot of questions for a lot of potential players reading this forum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who did the best with the marquee signings?
Let you know around April 2017.
There are some differences in philosophy though which I find interesting.
Pies got the best full forward and best ruck. Could be a good strategy, there are quite a few decent mids to pick up, but not many rucks or full forwards. Lions got 2 kpps. Carlton got a forward/mid and a back/mid. Be Interestingtesting to see how it plays out.

Future stars just revealed club's to get a priority signing prior to the draft. Guess this is due to the number of club's that have a player aligned with the club already eg Arnell at Carlton, Hutchings at Pies, Zielke at Lions.

Collingwood's marquee forward, Moana Hope, just kicked 10 on the weekend to take her season tally to 89.

Still two home and away games left, plus finals.

Collingwood's marquee forward, Moana Hope, just kicked 10 on the weekend to take her season tally to 89.

Still two home and away games left, plus finals.
I'm genuinely excited to watch her play. Not sure how old she is, but I could see her taking over from Daisy as the most recognizable/marketable woman in the game before too long

EDIT: Just realized I posted about her 3 posts up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back