The A-League, Football in Australia and the CoronaVirus Crisis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Looks like I'll be posting a few more of these articles.

Western Sydney Wanderers stand down entire squad
Dominic Bossi

Western Sydney Wanderers have stood down their entire squad and staff indefinitely due financial losses stemming from the postponement of the A-League.
The club is facing significant cash flow problems as a result of the competition's shutdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, losing match day revenue and sponsorship. It is also unlikely to receive the final quarterly windfall of the A-League's broadcast deal with Fox Sports, worth close to $900,000 per club.

Players, coaches and administrative staff at the Wanderers were told on Tuesday they will not be required to work and will not be paid until the club knows when the competition will resume, which will be no earlier than April 22. The club and the A-League players' union confirmed stand down notices were issued to all players and staff when contacted by the Herald on Wednesday.
The Wanderers have become the third A-League club to stand down its entire roster while the competition is suspended, following Perth Glory and Central Coast Mariners in issuing stand down notices. In a worrying sign for the future of the competition, they aren't expected to be the last.
Senior A-League sources expect a handful of other clubs to not be able to pay their squad until games resume. While final announcements are yet to be made, sources expect Brisbane Roar, Adelaide United, Western United and Newcastle Jets to also issue stand down notices this week.

The A-League is in a precarious financial situation with the competition and Football Federation Australia already preparing for the possible end to their broadcast deal with Fox Sports. The Pay TV provider is expected to try and walk away from its contract with the A-League if the competition fails to provide content for an extended period of time.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So again, are all of these players going to be on the open market? Macarthur will probably start thinking they've timed this all pretty well. it seems if you can cancel someone's payments, which I guess is the main reason for an employer signing a contract, then there's surely no requirement for them to play out their service later on. are clubs just relying on the goodwill of players? or just hoping on it?

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unreal how little money there is in football here and the TV deal will only get worse.

We won't be far off having Daniel Mullen as a marquee player after this.

RIP A-League. It can't survive this and even if it technically does, good players won't be coming here for a long while

Admittedly I saw this on A League Memes so take it with a grain of salt but apparently all clubs other than City will be standing down their players?

City have said they aren't. The obly other side I can see not doing it is Sydney and maybe Victory.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Admittedly I saw this on A League Memes so take it with a grain of salt but apparently all clubs other than City will be standing down their players?
Sydney fc have also confirmed they will not stand down the players. I wouldn't be surprised if most club's stand them down (as they have the right to). Victory and Brisbane I think are likely to not stand down players, no idea about United, Newcastle could go either way, and nix are under different laws.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

From what I've heard (and I think it might be mentioned in one of the articles I've posted) only City and SydneyFC have guaranteed player payments till end of season which is 30th of May. After that not sure.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney fc have also confirmed they will not stand down the players. I wouldn't be surprised if most club's stand them down (as they have the right to). Victory and Brisbane I think are likely to not stand down players, no idea about United, Newcastle could go either way, and nix are under different laws.

Reports from 3AW news say that Adelaide United have stood down their playing list.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The reds released a statement which said the majority of admin staff are on leave/stood down. No mention of the players, apart from being at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How incompetent must the FFA and PFA be that it came to this before a deal could be struck as it was with AFL and NRL players?

I know the A-League has nowhere near the liquidity of other codes, but it's an abject disgrace that we're standing down players with nothing.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
How incompetent must the FFA and PFA be that it came to this before a deal could be struck as it was with AFL and NRL players?

I know the A-League has nowhere near the liquidity of other codes, but it's an abject disgrace that we're standing down players with nothing.
Most clubs (not sure if all) already run on a loss even with ticket sales and TV going on so I don't really blame them

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Might have been just a bit refreshing for Tony ‘what am I meant to do, not my problem, everyone will be in the same position in a few days’ Sage to have not started the rot as he did.

Who knows how this sport will be structured come October but the public could really have a desperate appetite for live sport by then, write this season off if we must but get the act together on all fronts for the next one please.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
The A-League is ****ed and Foxtel are going to pull the pin any day now but I think it could lead to a healthy reset of Australian football.

Create a new league with 10 teams (Adelaide, Perth, Victory, Sydney, Brisbane, WSW, Nix, SMFC, Newcastle and someone else) and create a second division with CCM, Wollongong, Western United and other clubs who would be able to survive in there (GCU, Canberra, Tasmania, Auckland?). Bring in pro/rel after a few years and make it FTA on SBS so that more people can actually watch the game. Keep the FFA Cup around too promote all the big games on SBS and just consolidate for a few years and let the game grow organically.

Of course some billionaire just like Lowry will probably swoop in the 11th hour and save the day making my idea irrelevant but I can dream.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The A-League is f’ed and Foxtel are going to pull the pin any day now but I think it could lead to a healthy reset of Australian football.

Create a new league with 10 teams (Adelaide, Perth, Victory, Sydney, Brisbane, WSW, Nix, SMFC, Newcastle and someone else) and create a second division with CCM, Wollongong, Western United and other clubs who would be able to survive in there (GCU, Canberra, Tasmania, Auckland?). Bring in pro/rel after a few years and make it FTA on SBS so that more people can actually watch the game. Keep the FFA Cup around too promote all the big games on SBS and just consolidate for a few years and let the game grow organically.

Of course some billionaire just like Lowry will probably swoop in the 11th hour and save the day making my idea irrelevant but I can dream.

SMFC ahead of Melbourne City? your having a laugh! It will be the CFG that will probably prop this league up when it gets started again!

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Of course some billionaire just like Lowry will probably swoop in the 11th hour and save the day making my idea irrelevant but I can dream
The Lowys are the reason we're in this mess in the first place, if they get involved, start A-League III.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
SMFC ahead of Melbourne City? your having a laugh! It will be the CFG that will probably prop this league up when it gets started again!

Guarantee there'd be a football loving billionaire in this country who'd prop up the league before CFG do. Also SMFC>City sue me.

The Lowys are the reason we're in this mess in the first place, if they get involved, start A-League III.

I know that very well and I pray to god that for the sake of football in this country that the game doesn't get taken over by someone like Lowry again but when Foxtel inevitably rip of the contract the league will need money to survive otherwise we're back to square 1 for the foreseeable future.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Guarantee there'd be a football loving billionaire in this country who'd prop up the league before CFG do. Also SMFC>City sue me.

In what way? Highest average ever by the supposed greatest club in the country is 8k.

The only time they rated was when they played a cup game against Sydney FC.

They push the whole “we own the stadium” when they don’t. They just have the contract to run the athletics oval for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back