The AFL will end pre-game warm-ups as part of sweeping set of 2018 rule changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many apart from the die hard fans would come to watch a reserves game, I know I would. Always thought if you could get enough to come in and watch it it may help with congestion at big games. give 10 or 15K a reason to enter the stadium early instead all at roughly the one time.

Very precious over playing surfaces these days.

Geez I don't know about that...most of the people my age an d older would always get to the game early enough to watch the 2s. Some of the funniest s**t happened in the 2s...like Jon Dorotich putting a ball onto Sydney road from the Heatley Stand goalsquare in 1989!

Geez I don't know about that...most of the people my age an d older would always get to the game early enough to watch the 2s. Some of the funniest s**t happened in the 2s...like Jon Dorotich putting a ball onto Sydney road from the Heatley Stand goalsquare in 1989!

Can anyone say the curtain raiser was ever attended by more than a small portion of the eventual crowd. I’d say 5% at the absolute tops

It's so they can play curtain raisers eventually....read the article.

Dont hold your breathe

With the.mcg and.etihad both hosting 40+ games each, i doubt we will have curtain raisers here.except in rare occassions due to the need to protect the ground

It will be some sponsored wank s**t

We already do have curtain raisers way before a game, no one watches though because they generally have to finish 90mins before the bounce. This at least could make it closer to 30mins.

Rubbish. Be a handful of games in about 100 that have any type of curtain raiser before it in recent years in Melbourne. Think I seen two in all my time of games at Docklands.

Rubbish. Be a handful of games in about 100 that have any type of curtain raiser before it in recent years in Melbourne. Think I seen two in all my time of games at Docklands.

Technically he is right

Richmond has its vfl side play right before the tigs at the g several times each year (three this year)

You usually get a pretty decent crowd in, and its convenient being so close. Baffled why they dont do it for all out pro home games

Technically he is right

Richmond has its vfl side play right before the tigs at the g several times each year (three this year)

You usually get a pretty decent crowd in, and its convenient being so close. Baffled why they dont do it for all out pro home games

North Melbourne are going to have two this coming season.

Hopefully in time we get it back to something reasonable.
I'd have the policy that all days games in Melbourne should have curtain raiser before it. Furthermore of both clubs seconds team. Night games, the two teams reserves play in day at a ground nearby. Example at Princes Park or Punt Road Oval. That way, you give fans the chance to follow progress of their players not in senior team regularly which we've been deprived of since for nearly two decades now.

North Melbourne are going to have two this coming season.

Hopefully in time we get it back to something reasonable.
I'd have the policy that all days games in Melbourne should have curtain raiser before it. Furthermore of both clubs seconds team. Night games, the two teams reserves play in day at a ground nearby. Example at Princes Park or Punt Road Oval. That way, you give fans the chance to follow progress of their players not in senior team regularly which we've been deprived of since for nearly two decades now.

Issue with this is outside pro, how do you get from pp or arden street to etihad (i assume) in time to see the seniors, and how do they get back to get their car (if they drove)?

Just imo, but i dont think people will accept more than a 10 transit

Today, arden street is a thirty minute walk, or 25 mins on train.. Pp is an hour walk or 35 mins on train (30 mins on two trams)

For it to work, i reckon you would need to have shuttle.buses, which would be very easy for arden street (not sure of cost implications)

Issue with this is outside pro, how do you get from pp or arden street to etihad (i assume) in time to see the seniors, and how do they get back to get their car (if they drove)?

Just imo, but i dont think people will accept more than a 10 transit
Mate, I would accept my reserve side playing on same day in same city against same club for half the season and our day game having curtain raisers than the bullshit we have now. Least I would see my reserve team at least half the time. If we have a night game at the G, I can live with knowing reserve game will be on earlier in day and if I want to watch some of it happy to travel. If night game on at 7-10 pm Saturday night and the reserves start at 2-30 pm at Princes Park least I got a reasonable option then.

Beggars cannot be choosers when we do not even get this now.

Mate, I would accept my reserve side playing on same day in same city against same club for half the season and our day game having curtain raisers than the bullshit we have now. Least I would see my reserve team at least half the time. If we have a night game at the G, I can live with knowing reserve game will be on earlier in day and if I want to watch some of it happy to travel. If night game on at 7-10 pm Saturday night and the reserves start at 2-30 pm at Princes Park least I got a reasonable option then.

Beggars cannot be choosers when we do not even get this now.

Youre the minority though. Most people expect to get in for.free and for it to be convenient.

Youre the minority though. Most people expect to get in for.free and for it to be convenient.

Who said anything about paying for it?

If you are a member of your club of course you can see reserves for free in this scenario.

This is more convenient for ffs, than what we get right now, hello!!!! that is the whole point,

You not getting it. Read back what we even talking about.

Who said anything about paying for it?

If you are a member of your club of course you can see reserves for free in this scenario.

This is more convenient for ffs, than what we get right now, hello!!!! that is the whole point,

You not getting it. Read back what we even talking about.

I get it, what im saying if bf freaks who have been begging for this are a minority. For curtain raisers to work you need a crowd in the thousands, not the hundreds, rocking up or there is no incentive for the afl and vfl to coordinate the fixtures

Reason i mentioned getting in for free (i know members get in for free, i go to games at pro) is it underlines most people want zero obstacles to their going. A half hour each way train trip is a big obstacle

Curtain raisers never attracted huge numbers even when at the g, so we cant take fan interest or commitment for granted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't but you think you do.
All good, will not bother any more. I realise comprehension is not everyone's strong suit.

Okay, explain it then.

How will you get 3k to arden street for an arvo game when they are playing at etihad that night?

Vfl teams playing on the g or etihad would take away from games being played on suburban grounds. No point.

I agree. Hence my proposal of VFA clubs such as Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Willy etc become under 21 age group clubs (replace TAC Cup under 18 with under age up to 21 years of age) and play on their grounds and our AFL reserve teams have our own comp with our day games as curtain raisers and night games you play it earlier in day at a ground nearby such as Princes Park.

Can anyone say the curtain raiser was ever attended by more than a small portion of the eventual crowd. I’d say 5% at the absolute tops

Yep.

Virtually every game I went to growing up I was at the ground by 12pm! And even then it was pretty packed at places like windy Hill and the Western Oval!

I agree. Hence my proposal of VFA clubs such as Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Willy etc become under 21 age group clubs (replace TAC Cup under 18 with under age up to 21 years of age) and play on their grounds and our AFL reserve teams have our own comp with our day games as curtain raisers and night games you play it earlier in day at a ground nearby such as Princes Park.
That's an interesting and original idea. That would probably work really well.

That's an interesting and original idea. That would probably work really well.

I have been on about it for maybe 6 months, I just wish it was not an original idea and something the AFL and 2nd tier leagues were doing. Sadly all those comps are now a dogs breakfast. So we do not have curtain raisers at all and we do not even have good second tier leagues with fixtures aligned to assist AFL clubs with their players in reserves. Does no favours for VFA clubs either. I do not think this idea has any legs with the people that run football though. Still. Steve Hocking is a breath of fresh air so maybe in time he gets around to stuff like this if it becomes part of his portfolio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back