The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgot about the food aspect of playing footy on Good Friday...

I'm sure the crowd will be happy to compromise and have hot pies not to be sold at the ground. Fish and Chips instead
Or maybe the people who follow that particular observance could just not buy a meat pie?

The game was meant to be NM and Carlton. We did the homework. Just like Collingwood and Essendon did with Anzac fixture.

Carlton and North were the two teams who pushed hardest for the good friday time slot. North have been choosing to play Carlton on a friday night for years now as well.

Not when you don't think that any club should play in the game each year.

If they are going to choose teams to play in it each year (which I don't support), then I think North has the strongest case of all the Victorian clubs.

North asked at least 20 years ago for a Good Friday game. So if NM get shafted , I'm not going to be happy. I don't see why the AFL can't schedule games in more than one state on Good Friday. Have a game in Vic and WA. Why not ?

North asked at least 20 years for a Good Friday game. So if NM get shafted , I'm not going to be happy. I don't see why the AFL can't schedule games in more than one state on Good Friday. Have a game in Vic and WA. Why not ?

I agree with you in that there is definitely room for two games.

I just don't support these games going to the same clubs each year. I'm happy to agree to disagree, and completely understand your view, and I'd probably have it too if I was a North fan. And as I said, I think North deserve it most if they decide to make it a permanent fixture between two Vic teams.

From an Eagles' fan perspective, I think a decision to give a marque game to only two clubs, rather than being shared amongst all clubs (who don't already get one) as being shafted.

Or maybe the people who follow that particular observance could just not buy a meat pie?
This.

I hear people lose their shit on a regular basis about people from other cultures following their religious beliefs in Australia, yet we happily trundle off to church at Easter and Christmas despite not being practicing Christians because that's the religion the convicts happened to import from England.

As an agnostic, I am just as happy for halal options to be sold at the MCG as I am for Catholics to abstain from meat on Good Friday. It's all about tolerance.

North vs. Carlton to begin with in 2015 then take it to the playground. Winner stays on, next year is winner versus top Victorian side. Would actually build some anticipation and interest around the timeslot and make many mini storylines.

"The Doggies haven't played on Good Friday for fifteen years and they're up against North who have been undefeated on Good Friday for the past six."

I have no issues with religion aspects.

I would have an issue with this being yet another fixture given to two specific clubs.

The last thing the AFL needs is a lucrative stand-alone fixture being played by the same teams each year.

Carlton and North have been pushing for good friday football for awhile now. Same scenario as the Collingwood v Essendon Anzac game.

Carlton and North have been pushing for good friday football for awhile now. Same scenario as the Collingwood v Essendon Anzac game.

I know.

Doesn't mean they should get it as a stand-alone. It could easily just be added to the days that footy is played and rotated as a normal fixture.

The view that it should be a stand-alone played between two specific clubs is just an assumption.

Just my opinion though.

Sorry Kangaroos fans but St.Kilda vs Melbourne would be good for the obvious reason.

Disclaimer: Barring the obvious benfits of a potential biblical showdown between the Saints vs Demons I think the game should go to the Kangaroos and the Bulldogs with each team taking it in turn to host the game at the G. These two clubs should have their own game that they can develop into a true blockbuster over time.

Left of field idea......could we do a double header at Etihad on Good Friday or is that biting off more then we could chew?

Blues v North
then
Dogs v Saints

North v Carlton at Etihad on 7 and then a late game of Suns v Bulldogs at Metricon on Fox.

Would be massive for the non religious footy fan and raise piles of money for the RCH.

I know.

Doesn't mean they should get it as a stand-alone. It could easily just be added to the days that footy is played and rotated as a normal fixture.

The view that it should be a stand-alone played between two specific clubs is just an assumption.

Just my opinion though.

I just feel like it would inappropriate for other clubs to take advantage of the hard yards that Carlton and North have been putting in to make this fixture happen. I feel the same way with ANZAC game where I would like it to be rotated but I can see why it remains a stand-alone game since Essendon and Collingwood put in all the work to make it a big game.

I just feel like it would inappropriate for other clubs to take advantage of the hard yards that Carlton and North have been putting in to make this fixture happen. I feel the same way with ANZAC game where I would like it to be rotated but I can see why it remains a stand-alone game since Essendon and Collingwood put in all the work to make it a big game.

I understand where you are coming from, but retain my view as outlined above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't that the debate with the whole idea with good friday footy. Thats what this thread is about, right? Its not my fault some people are hypersensitive.
This thread is about who is playing, who should play and what time the game should be held, etc. Not if God is real or not.

Take it to SRP, there is already a 1000+ post anti-theist wank fest of a thread there.

People would have to see the irony in North Melbourne claiming they're entitled to at least Good Friday because they don't get much as a smaller club, and then the supporters getting upset when it looks like they'll be coming up against the Bulldogs and not Carlton.

I just meant more from the point of view that I'm happy to forego a meat pie if it means we have a game of footy to watch...

They're so ******* disrespectful to Malthouse. They question him like a child, as if they have any idea how to coach a team, and pat themselves on the back for asking the 'hard' questions, which consist of the most generic cliche's imaginable. So tired of coaches under pressure being asked 'are you the right man for the job?', 'have you lost the players?', 'do you think you've lost your edge?', 'should you step aside?' What kind of answer are they expecting out of that? Why don't they be creative and detailed with their interviews. Ask him how he dealt with opposition coaching decisions and how he responded to them, ask him about how he's going to deal with players like Jones tagging Murphy and winning the ball regardless, ask him how he can re-instill confidence in his playing group, and what his list management plans are moving forward this year.

So his club misjudged their premiership window, so what? They can move on and rebuild. The most important thing for Carlton right now is to take a deep breath reassess every department of the club and fix the problems they find. Malthouse is the perfect person to rebuild the list he has built lists of premiership winning teams before.

Yeah definitely was like that

See the sweat on Hutchy's brow when MM said to him "you are disrespecting" me or words to that affect

Lloydy was quiet aye I suppose it's hard when Caro and Hutchy are chipping it at every chance

Yes that's true.

And this would fit with my (somewhat tongue in cheek) suggestion for Good Friday football to be trialled outside of Victoria before any Victorian teams host a game.

My point is pretty simple - Vic clubs don't deserve to host good Friday any more than non-Vic clubs - there seems to be a lot of posters who feel their club, or a Vic club, has a right to be the first to host on this day, which is obviously BS.
North have been lobbying for Good Friday football for nearly a 2 decades.So why shouldn't they get the first crack?

Done deal for next year according to Tim Watson
Twilight match, starting around 4.40pm, between Kangas and Bulldogs!
-------------------------------
Thats going to be rivetting TV ...30,000 max at the game
It was North that wanted / started Friday night tv footy so i guess its right they get first shot at Good Friday footy and IF it takes off like Friday night Footy has , expect North to lose the Good Friday match to bigger block buster games .

North have been lobbying for Good Friday football for nearly a 2 decades.So why shouldn't they get the first crack?

If any Vic club was going to host it, I agree North should get first crack.

The reason why they shouldn't is that it's a national comp, and Vic clubs have traditionally got first crack. I'm saying this more as what the argument would be, rather than arguing this.

My view is that it should be rotated, and there should be two games played as soon as the AFL opens it up to games.

Back