The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley is what Neil Craig was with us. He regularly made finals, including a couple of years they've finished top 2 after H&A, but they failed to get it done when it mattered most.

Craig lasted seven seasons whereas Ken is in his 12th with not even a GF appearance.

No, you brought up the asterisk though haha. That's what I was referring to, nothing to do with Bevo.

Huh?

My point was that flag has a pretty significant context and if it's being used to justify him continuing as coach that's worth pointing out. It was also 8 years ago. I didn't bring it up to justify him being Dogs coach in 2024.

It's got nothing to do with that flag coming against the Swans. If any other GF has had similar review of the umpiring I'll stand corrected but that was an anomaly which is why I put the asterisk.

Huh?

My point was that flag has a pretty significant context and if it's being used to justify him continuing as coach that's worth pointing out. It was also 8 years ago. I didn't bring it up to justify him being Dogs coach in 2024.

It's got nothing to do with that flag coming against the Swans. If any other GF has had similar review of the umpiring I'll stand corrected but that was an anomaly which is why I put the asterisk.
No it isn't.

A flag is still a flag. No one questions Richmond's flag during covid conditions with shorter quarters or Melbourne's premiership that was won in Perth.

How it was won is largely irrelevant, the fact is he will always be a premiership coach. Unlike Hinkley.

No it isn't.

A flag is still a flag. No one questions Richmond's flag during covid conditions with shorter quarters or Melbourne's premiership that was won in Perth.

How it was won is largely irrelevant, the fact is he will always be a premiership coach. Unlike Hinkley.

Haha what on Earth are you on about? I'm not flagging that it was raining or that it was at a different stadium, I'm flagging that the AFL investigated and concluded that the umpiring was substandard in favour of the Bulldogs. It's a massive * to the flag. How many other GFs have had similar conclusions drawn? Can you name a single one? It provides a huge amount of context to them winning the game above and beyond Beveridge's ability as a coach, which was the entire point that game was brought up in the first place. Again, it was also 8 years ago.

'Largely irrelevant' JFC. It's in the same category as people going on about how the Crows should have played finals last season because of an Umpiring error. It's a bit different to weather or location or length of quarters.

Should be a cracking game tonight.

Think Blues should win pretty easily, they're in a much stronger position than the Pies. But it's basically last chance for the Pies if they want to push for Top 4.

Haha what on Earth are you on about? I'm not flagging that it was raining or that it was at a different stadium, I'm flagging that the AFL investigated and concluded that the umpiring was substandard in favour of the Bulldogs. It's a massive * to the flag. How many other GFs have had similar conclusions drawn? Can you name a single one? It provides a huge amount of context to them winning the game above and beyond Beveridge's ability as a coach, which was the entire point that game was brought up in the first place. Again, it was also 8 years ago.

'Largely irrelevant' JFC. It's in the same category as people going on about how the Crows should have played finals last season because of an Umpiring error. It's a bit different to weather or location or length of quarters.
What am I on about? You're the one off on your 'it shouldn't count because of some free kicks'.

The point will always remain that Beveridge is a premiership winning coach while Hinkley isn't. Pretty easy end of discussion.

What am I on about? You're the one off on your 'it shouldn't count because of some free kicks'.

The point will always remain that Beveridge is a premiership winning coach while Hinkley isn't. Pretty easy end of discussion.
Where did I say it shouldn't count? Do you understand what context means? :tearsofjoy:

I mean yeah pretty easy end to discussion if you're going to wade into a conversation, completely misunderstanding the point being made, and then argue some point about COVID Grand Finals that has nothing to do with anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it isn't.

3F236656-5A33-4DBA-904A-48E2AEED0387.gif

There’s no asterisk next to the 2016 flag lol, and all the article says is that the AFL concedes the umpires got “3 or 4 decisions wrong” but that it wasn’t poorly umpired.

There's context behind their win that goes beyond the game being played at a different time of day, which was all I said from the start. The AFL found that 3-4 key decisions went in favour of the Dogs, one of which directly led to a goal. Of course the Swans agreed it didn't influence the result (because who wants to open that can of worms), but I've asked a few times for a single other GF where similar findings were reported after the game and am still waiting on a result.

Even if people want to put that aside, the GF was 8 years ago and the bloke still hasn't made the top 4 in a single season. How long does he get to cling onto that flag to justify his position?

There’s no asterisk next to the 2016 flag lol, and all the article says is that the AFL concedes the umpires got “3 or 4 decisions wrong” but that it wasn’t poorly umpired.
Let's just give Sydney another academy zone and some extra salary cap space to apologise

There's context behind their win that goes beyond the game being played at a different time of day, which was all I said from the start. The AFL found that 3-4 key decisions went in favour of the Dogs, one of which directly led to a goal. Of course the Swans agreed it didn't influence the result (because who wants to open that can of worms), but I've asked a few times for a single other GF where similar findings were reported after the game and am still waiting on a result.

Even if people want to put that aside, the GF was 8 years ago and the bloke still hasn't made the top 4 in a single season. How long does he get to cling onto that flag to justify his position?
Dogs finished 7th but only two games behind top side. Then beat teams that finished 6th, 3rd, 4th and 1st. Pretty emphatic and earnt it. Yes some poor decisions in the GF but what probably tripped up the Swans was getting done by the Giants in first week of the finals

Dogs finished 7th but only two games behind top side. Then beat teams that finished 6th, 3rd, 4th and 1st. Pretty emphatic and earnt it. Yes some poor decisions in the GF but what probably tripped up the Swans was getting done by the Giants in first week of the finals
They also finished % off fourth in their other GF appearance in 2021.

Bevo may not have a top 4 finish but he did have 2 pretty great finals series winning 4 in a row and 3 in a row with none on our home ground.

So you're happy to keep him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back