The Association Football Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FYI, McLaren was a Kiwi, even if the team was run out of Britain (Because seriously, we've seen hat happens if you base yourselves outside of Europe, it doesn't go well.). But Williams on the other hand... so good! And I suppose the original Lotus too. Alright, and if you want to get technical, that German team was originally a long standing British team, and it was British when Button won his title.

We could say the same to the decades prior, wink wink. But yes, a bit of a spark is missing, Rio seemed to be the dullest in living memory. The Gold Coast Games is very important for our Olympic heritage. We need to at least come out on top.

On the bright side, at least Greenedge is going to finish in its highest ever position in 6th (out of 18), so that's encouraging.
Oh I never knew McLaren was a kiwi. The team is still British though, British expertise and know-how, even if it was started by a Kiwi.

I agree the Rio olympics was a travesty when compared to ones like London and Sydney. But for team GB to finish 2nd and improve our haul on our home games was a phenomenal achievement.

Oh I never knew McLaren was a kiwi. The team is still British though, British expertise and know-how, even if it was started by a Kiwi.

I agree the Rio olympics was a travesty when compared to ones like London and Sydney. But for team GB to finish 2nd and improve our haul on our home games was a phenomenal achievement.

Ah yes, in fact, this here was the teams original team logo:
100px-McLaren_logo_%28original%29.png

That and it was nice to see McLaren pay tribute to their own founder and history in their Tooned Series.

Yeah, that was impressive. Kinda like us and Athens 2004. Such a shame to see Athens' facilities now.

Ah yes, in fact, this here was the teams original team logo:
100px-McLaren_logo_%28original%29.png

That and it was nice to see McLaren pay tribute to their own founder and history in their Tooned Series.

Yeah, that was impressive. Kinda like us and Athens 2004. Such a shame to see Athens' facilities now.
Athens all but bankrupted the country. Such a shame.

What has been the outcome of your disappointing Rio Olympics? Is there a contingency plan to get your sports back up to speed? We had our own internal investigation after Atlanta, and that was probably the turning point for British sport as a whole. We invest a lot in sport these days through lottery funding, where as before our sport stars succeeded inspite of rather than because of the system. I think perhaps australias problem is that bigger countries caught on to how they were doing things and learnt from you guys, so it maybe harder for you to return to your past glories. What do you think?

Money is our issue when it comes to the Olympics, we need better programs in place.
Money doesn't grow on trees though. We nabbed some of your Olympic coaches because we could pay them more. All comes down to money in the end

If we spent our lotto money on Olympic funding I'd buy a ticket every week. I can't stand lotto and everything it stands for so that's saying something!

Athens all but bankrupted the country. Such a shame.

What has been the outcome of your disappointing Rio Olympics? Is there a contingency plan to get your sports back up to speed? We had our own internal investigation after Atlanta, and that was probably the turning point for British sport as a whole. We invest a lot in sport these days through lottery funding, where as before our sport stars succeeded inspite of rather than because of the system. I think perhaps australias problem is that bigger countries caught on to how they were doing things and learnt from you guys, so it maybe harder for you to return to your past glories. What do you think?

I know. I'm hoping I get the chance to get myself over there next year, but with the way things are going right now, I might be on the verge of something awesome... but it also means I have to give Greece a pass.

The problem is to be a mix of cultural problems and ineffective programs. I think they were well documented with how 'seriously' the athletes take the Olympics, and well, their underperformances. We have sent out a large squad, but it did very little. It seems like the Olympic standard has dropped in favour of looking like we're doing something, but just aren't.

There seems to be no accountability for the programs being run, and even if the money spent into it is shorter than what other nations are putting in, it seems very costly. Granted, it seems that the competition is tighter at the top, but at the same time, I've heard talks that our new 10 year swimming program, has no accountability since the swimming body has been given full reign, without the AIS being able to keep checks on them. When you see the culture that exists amongst the swimmers (coming back at 1am before a big race), you have to wonder how is that money being spent.

The Brits had nearly double, yet did some productive things with it. We couldn't even defeat the Dutch even.

Combined with the usual Olympic hype and the goal set up for us, it all seemed very... well, England like. Thinking we have the god given right to just show up and perform. Only problem is, it seemed like the athletes were believing it too.

So yeah, a lot of serious work needs to be done. I wouldn't trust that mob with more money until they can show some actual results, or at least a culture that makes us believe that is something to build upon.

Most except for City & Chelsea fans :)

Pfft, they would be the most confused by that. Only peasants use £5 notes. You don't expect that from Chelsea's elite. City maybe, but not Chelsea.

That said, the £10 note should be out nex-um, this year, and the £20 the year after that.

Kinda like us, we're getting a new $10 note this year as well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussies pick an ODI team to make 400 runs, find themselves 4/76 after 16.

Maxwell needs to have a mature innings here, there's a ton up for grabs and if he's good enough even more than that.

just realised that the kiwis win the toss and sent them in hahahahahahaha

Plugger35 is deafly silent on the matter. I guess chatting s**t about how bad the Aussies were at the start of the summer (even though those same Aussies peppered NZ's Angus last summer) is no longer funny

Plugger35 is deafly silent on the matter. I guess chatting s**t about how bad the Aussies were at the start of the summer (even though those same Aussies peppered NZ's Angus last summer) is no longer funny

He got banged, mate.

But credit to the Deshies, they've made some good inroads in recent times, actually looking somewhat competent! They're expected to pass the Windies very soon (69 v 65 on the ranks... yes, the Windies are that low. NZ, the next lowest, are on 96!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back