BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
I dont see a current swimming thread.

Aussie superfish Ariarne Titmus broke Katie Ledecky's long time 400m free world record at the nationals in Adelaide yesterday!!

Arnie will now lead the Dolphins in the pool at the Commonwealth Games starting in just over a month in the English midlands city of Birmingham. Joining her in the 46 member squad will be Olympic champions Emma McKeon, Kyle Chalmers, Zac Stubblety-Cook, Kaylee McKeown and come back queen Shayna Jack plus a host of emerging teen stars in Mollie O’Callaghan, Flynn Southam, Jenna Forrester, Isaac Cooper, and Lani Pallister..

Last edited:
Most of us are aware that major Australian swimming events are no longer on Free To Air tv. As they are also not on pay tv they can now only be seen behind a Prime Video streaming paywall. That is sufficiently galling but it gets worse as if we Australians subscribe to PV we are not permitted to see our own swim events as that privilege belongs only to American subscribers.

The reason I know this is my son planned to buy me a PV subscription for my birthday as he knows I enjoy watching swimming.. specially our national events which happen to be on at the moment. When he tried signing up for the 30 day free trial so I could watch the titles. which double as trials for the World champs and Comm Games, he was refused access and told that only Americans were allowed to watch Australian swimming.

In the past two years Australian swim fans have gone from being able to watch the sport on FTA tv under anti-syphoning laws to now not even being allowed to watch a pay per view version. All we fans now have are a piddling few minute replays of the day's events on YT. Talk about getting left over scraps.
I find this situation totally unacceptable and sports mad people like us need to jump up and down about it and demand a return to FTA anti-syphoning..

comments.

Last edited:

The 2022 World Short Course Swimming Championships kicked off last nite in Melbourne with the Aussie Dolpins acquitting themselves excellently bringing home a pair of gold medals. Lani Pallister picked up our first when she blew away the field the 400m free while Australia's queen of the pool Emma McKeon anchored our girls home in the 4x100m free smashing the world record.

Is their a more painful swimming commentator than Ian Thorpe.

Last edited:
Is their a more painful swimming commentator than Ian Thorpe.
The commentators on the official FINA stream on YouTube are better and both also Australians but you need a VPN to watch it (US server will work).

Above is the Junior Dolphins squad for the World Youth Swim Champs. September, 4-9
Karl AlbertynMiamiQLD
Iona AndersonBreakersWA
Jaclyn BarclaySt PetersQLD
Tane BidoisKnoxNSW
Isabella BoydNunawadingVIC
Gideon BurnesBondQLD
Hannah CaseyMCAQLD
Jessica ColeWests IllawarraNSW
Marcus Da SilvaCranbrookNSW
Jaimie DeLutiisWests IllawarraNSW
Alexander ForemanKincumberNSW
Bella GrantTrinityNSW
Milla JansenBondQLD
Isabella JohnsonCruizACT
Josh KerrManlyNSW
Tiana KritzingerRackleyQLD
Ike MartinezRackleyQLD
Anders McAlpineChandlerQLD
Hayley MackinderGriffithQLD
Thomas PattisonChurchieQLD
Jamie PerkinsSt PetersQLD
Olympia PopeMiamiQLD
Enoch RobbAll SaintsQLD
Taryn RobertsRocky CityQLD
Georgie RoperMiamiQLD
Edward SommervilleBrisbane GrammarQLD
Flynn SouthamBondQLD
Johann SzymanskiHighlandersWA
Amelia WeberSt PetersQLD
Olivia WunschCarlileNSW

There is some serious talent among those 30 with all excelling in either the State Age, National Age or National Open champs this year. To verify this you only have to see where the 30 stand in current National LC Open Top 25 rankings.

Eg: Milla Jansen: (16) 10th in both 50m,100m free.
Amelia Weber: (17) 7th 400m free, 11th 200m.
Olympia Pope: (14) 12th 200m breast, 14th 100m breast.
Jaclyn Barclay: (16) 5th 200 back.
Mikayla Bird: (15) 8th 200 fly.

Flynn Southam: (18) FIRST 200m free, 2nd 100 free.
Anders McAlpine: (17) 11th 400m free, 12th 200m free.
Johann Szymanski: (17) 8th 800 free.
Gideon Burnes: (17) 13th 200 breast.
Ike Martinez: (16) 18th 200 fly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back