Analysis The Awkward Captaincy Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Membrey looked barely AFL standard this year. I'd make Dougal Howard the captain. He's got the right attitude. One thing I noticed in the player highlights was that when ever one of our players were targeted he was first there to stand up for them. He plays with a bit of intensity that would be pretty good too. Steele is good at the on-field but he seems a bit quiet for the media stuff.
I think you're underestimating Mr Steele.

He's publicly stated that he wants the C, elevated himself to our best player, and has done fine in the media to date.

He might not be extroverted, but he's got some cheek and swagger about him and can grow into it.

We've needed that guy who will carry the team on his back, and that can't be Doogs due to his position.

Steele's position has him all around the ground which l think adds to the effectiveness too.

Captain Jack in the center. Doogs and Members at each end.

That's the next 5 years sorted IMO.
After that it's passed to the likes of King, Bytel, Coffield, etc...

Membrey looked barely AFL standard this year. I'd make Dougal Howard the captain. He's got the right attitude. One thing I noticed in the player highlights was that when ever one of our players were targeted he was first there to stand up for them. He plays with a bit of intensity that would be pretty good too. Steele is good at the on-field but he seems a bit quiet for the media stuff.
God you can go over the top at times
Ps , those names were not in any order

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Only two players i found we could rely on this year that being Marshall and Steele. Actually Ryder as well. When the chips are down these three kept stepping up to the plate no matter what. That's what i want from the captain of my team. Lead by example. Not a go into my shell when need a team lift type or someone with bad disposal where someone in the reserves could use it better.

Membrey was first choice till this year and i thought he let himself down accordingly. I thought he was poor-average and so unlike him.

Ryder can't get the job as he's near the end.

Steele C
Marshall VC

-------------------------------

Rest of the leadership group.

Ryder
Howard
Membrey
Hannebery

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would prefer our captain to be a St.Kilda person, not a ring-in from another club.
For me it is out of Billings, Wilkie and Marshall.
Vice Captains, can be anyone.

God you can go over the top at times
Ps , those names were not in any order

That's some fine pot kettle black work Risky. He was very average IMO. He was slightly above Kent in quality, even if he was playing a new position and higher up the ground, he was very meh. He kicked less than half his average goals for most years, had 100 less possessions playing in a more dynamic on ball type role, less marks, heaps less handballs etc. I thought Skunk stunk up 2020. One of our most disappointing players who was going to have a huge impact without Bruce stealing his chances according to some.

That's some fine pot kettle black work Risky. He was very average IMO. He was slightly above Kent in quality, even if he was playing a new position and higher up the ground, he was very meh. He kicked less than half his average goals for most years, had 100 less possessions playing in a more dynamic on ball type role, less marks, heaps less handballs etc. I thought Skunk stunk up 2020. One of our most disappointing players who was going to have a huge impact without Bruce stealing his chances according to some.
And when it counted in the finals against the Dogs he was in our top couple of players

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Hmmm
Screenshot_20210120-145403_Instagram.jpeg

Groater

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2006
Bayside
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Newnes is still my pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
A nice piece on the Saints app about Tarni White doing her knee and Geary doing the little things that a good leader does:

• Moments after rupturing her ACL last year, Tarni White was comforted in the changerooms by St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary.
  • White says it was the moment that cemented her as a St Kilda player for a long time to come.
  • I was heartbroken,” White told The Age.

“But I remember, when I got off into the changerooms, the Saints’ men’s captain Jarryn Geary came down from wherever he was watching. He came down and put his arm around me and asked if I was OK.

I think in that moment right there I realised that I wanted to be at St Kilda for a very long time.
    - Tarni White
    “Because of how authentic it was, to realise that this was a men’s player, he doesn’t have to do that but he’s just shown the love and the care, what the club’s about.”

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
7 news had Lethers saying that Gears' leg wont effect his chances for Captaincy.
Sounded pretty confident Gears would still be captain imo but obviously we will see how that plays out.
If he isnt playing for half season seems logical for him to not be captain or at best be a co-captain.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
7 news had Lethers saying that Gears' leg wont effect his chances for Captaincy.
Sounded pretty confident Gears would still be captain imo but obviously we will see how that plays out.
If he isnt playing for half season seems logical for him to not be captain or at best be a co-captain.
If we pick a guy who won't play a game until at least halfway through a season as captain then our leadership stocks are even worse than I thought.

If we pick a guy who won't play a game until at least halfway through a season as captain then our leadership stocks are even worse than I thought.

Makes no difference if the "vice captain / acting captain " is the captain until halfway through a season, or whether he is the captain for those games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back