Unsolved The Beaumont Children

Remove this Banner Ad

No I didn't ask him for evidence.... I arranged for him to provide a statement to Detective David Sheridan who led the Beaumont case at the time. It's a similar avenue to that I took with Adelaide Oval case materials and suggestions of new evidence.... I went to SAPOL Major Crime with that in the first instance each time.... then I report on the outcomes of those police dealings/contact.
So you had no actual evidence but you're giving us all FACTs. ok.

I'd never seen the theory that David Smith didn't serve before but I guess we've all got a theory, I wouldn't bet the farm on any of mine. Would you?
Me either. It's a theory someone in here came up with (separate to anyone else raising the same theory) and we've discussed it, which is what happens on a discussion forum.

Thanks for the reply
did you see any indication why max left some his children out of his will?
Going on memory only, he never raised the details of his will but he gave a fair indication that he didn't much like some of his children, more so from when they reached adulthood
You seem a bit lost sprockets... not sure how many people you discuss your will with but its not normal to blurt it out... yeah!

Out of the first interview I had with David Smith, I spoke with Detective David Sheridan who then took a statement from David. After that had been done, I returned to interview Smith and I reported the story from there... that is what you would see in the article. What evidence would there be to show Smith was at Colley Reserve that day? I have evidence of when he went to war, which matches his account. I have evidence of when he returned, I have evidence of where he worked and the duties he carried out, I have evidence that he was considered an honest, bright man with integrity. What evidence do the people have to support suggestions on here that David Smith did not serve until 1967, that he was a mental patient, that he was the perp?

Me either. It's a theory someone in here came up with (separate to anyone else raising the same theory) and we've discussed it, which is what happens on a discussion forum.
I wouldn't bet my farm on any theory.... not after building my career reporting facts not theories and establishing my farm with the funds earned from that successful career.

You seem a bit lost sprockets... not sure how many people you discuss your will with but its not normal to blurt it out... yeah!
You're the one who's a bit lost. I never mentioned a will.

Out of the first interview I had with David Smith, I spoke with Detective David Sheridan who then took a statement from David. After that had been done, I returned to interview Smith and I reported the story from there... that is what you would see in the article. What evidence would there be to show Smith was at Colley Reserve that day? I have evidence of when he went to war, which matches his account. I have evidence of when he returned, I have evidence of where he worked and the duties he carried out, I have evidence that he was considered an honest, bright man with integrity.
So you didn't look at any of of the evidence that matters before stating things as FACTs. Didn't even want to see it, just believed him. 'Professional investigative journalist'.

What evidence do the people have to support suggestions on here that David Smith did not serve until 1967, that he was a mental patient, that he was the perp?
The DVA site tells us he didn't serve until 1967. I'll believe them before I believe someone who tells us FACTs that aren't actually FACTs.

The mental patient was simply a suggestion. David Smith fits his own description of the man playing with the kids, as explained to you previously. He also says he was there, at the scene. Two plus two might equal four and it's known that some killers insert themselves into scenes.

Discussion forums are for discussion and sometimes people come up with theories.

Or, person who hides behind a silly profile, you could trust that a person who is transparent about their identity and says that they have the hard copy, original documentation of intake and discharge papers, letters of reference to a soldier's commanders and letters from the war ground, is in fact telling the truth that they have that material. but you don't seem to be prepared to accept facts, so you go rely on your web searching

Awkward Bograt! That's my real picture on my profile nobody's ever said it's silly before.

Anyway if you don't mind, why did he give you all his precious stuff? Didn't he have family or grandchildren, especially his medals to pass to?
I found a WW2 medal in the bottom of an old dresser I bought to restore and I dwelled on it for ages wondering if someone was looking for it.

Awkward Bograt! That's my real picture on my profile nobody's ever said it's silly before.

Anyway if you don't mind, why did he give you all his precious stuff? Didn't he have family or grandchildren, especially his medals to pass to?
I found a WW2 medal in the bottom of an old dresser I bought to restore and I dwelled on it for ages wondering if someone was looking for it.
I've not seen Shellyg where you've questioned if I have or have not got the materials I say I have... and my "silly" reference is not directed at you. so apologies for any offense.

David was married and had an estranged son.
I moved home to VH in 2017 and working out of the local newspaper office for ACM I crossed paths with David often in town, while also following up with him on matters related to his statement to police re the Beaumont kids. We became great mates, along with others in town, including other veterans, who shared our common interests in horse racing.

I was there for Smithy when he needed and he was there for me when I needed... as mates do. With time, and from helping overcome trials that life can deliver, he and his wife treated my family like their own. When Dave had an accident and fell critically ill with scepticemia I was given authority to make decisions re his care and treatment as his wife could not cope with that. I looked after the sale of his house which had progressed at the same time he was in a coma, and I supported his wife through the sale of her house and her relocation to Melbourne... I was not executor, but a mate doing the right thing by his mate.

Dave did come out of his coma and I did get to spend a week or so able to have conversations with him, and at a time where I had been given a lot of that supporting documentation by his wife as we emptied his house and put into storage in the hope he would recover. Much of it, I am sure David didn't know he had... certainly didn't see the need to put it forward to justify what he had claimed or when he had served etc.

I visited him twice daily in hospital and was bedside shortly before he died. I organised David's "funeral" … in the front bar at the pub instead of a stuffy service was his request.

David gifted my family some of his records when we visited Vietnam and went to where he served and his wife gifted me his precious records and war medals when he passed.

It could have been Percy, it could have been Phipps, it could have been someone who had absolutely no previous crimes or continuing "form".

So I encourage people to question themselves about why they believe it was Percy or Phipps - because they had form as offenders, they lived in the area, someone close to them said they were involved, people witnessed them dig a hole, a purse was seen at one's house, one was wealthy so typically had 1 pound notes??!!! Which of those facts, or any other fact, sets them out as the perp ahead of others?

If you have based your belief on any of these, or similar, pointers then it should make sense that you could reasonably also consider anyone with similar traits - a person who lived a block from Glenelg Beach, frequented it often surrounded by young kids who is now known to have violently raped a young boy just over a month previous to the abduction. A person who continued for decades to violently abuse children, who had wealth at that time as a young adult and amassed great wealth. A person who was able to hide an early '90s child sex conviction - apparently even from the most senior of police. A person who's inner circle of friends, it can be demonstrated, imploded on Jan 26, 1966. Someone who formed close ties with a group of men now convicted or facing hundreds of charges of child sex crimes dating back to that era. Someone that not just one person but a number of people, including those not known to each other, have stated to police that they saw him on that day with two girls and a boy at Glenelg.

You would consider a person who had one or two of those traits, yes? So why not consider a person who, from the time it began to be revealed he has all of those traits, based himself in a country with, at the time, no extradition treaty and a rep for harbouring child sex offenders?

It could have been Percy. It could have been Phipps. It could be someone relatively new on the radar!

It could have been Percy, it could have been Phipps, it could have been someone who had absolutely no previous crimes or continuing "form".

So I encourage people to question themselves about why they believe it was Percy or Phipps - because they had form as offenders, they lived in the area, someone close to them said they were involved, people witnessed them dig a hole, a purse was seen at one's house, one was wealthy so typically had 1 pound notes??!!! Which of those facts, or any other fact, sets them out as the perp ahead of others?

If you have based your belief on any of these, or similar, pointers then it should make sense that you could reasonably also consider anyone with similar traits - a person who lived a block from Glenelg Beach, frequented it often surrounded by young kids who is now known to have violently raped a young boy just over a month previous to the abduction. A person who continued for decades to violently abuse children, who had wealth at that time as a young adult and amassed great wealth. A person who was able to hide an early '90s child sex conviction - apparently even from the most senior of police. A person who's inner circle of friends, it can be demonstrated, imploded on Jan 26, 1966. Someone who formed close ties with a group of men now convicted or facing hundreds of charges of child sex crimes dating back to that era. Someone that not just one person but a number of people, including those not known to each other, have stated to police that they saw him on that day with two girls and a boy at Glenelg.

You would consider a person who had one or two of those traits, yes? So why not consider a person who, from the time it began to be revealed he has all of those traits, based himself in a country with, at the time, no extradition treaty and a rep for harbouring child sex offenders?

It could have been Percy. It could have been Phipps. It could be someone relatively new on the radar!

I deleted that post with a link to Andrew Rule's new pod on the Beaumont children where he likes Percy for it because I didn't see your post come through, your post pipped me by a couple of seconds and the timing was unintentionally bad.

Pretty sure too, nobody in here has completely ruled him out rather there's been a decent try to slot him in and by others, slot him in if it makes sense. Sorting it out though isn't easy so I know you'll understand why everything is questioned.

What I've found a bit interesting particularly given all the air Munro's had recently and even through Rule's new podcast, he isn't getting a mention at all.

It could mean one of two things and I'm not sure which of the two it is.

I deleted that post with a link to Andrew Rule's new pod on the Beaumont children where he likes Percy for it because I didn't see your post come through, your post pipped me by a couple of seconds and the timing was unintentionally bad.

Pretty sure too, nobody in here has completely ruled him out rather there's been a decent try to slot him in and by others, slot him in if it makes sense. Sorting it out though isn't easy so I know you'll understand why everything is questioned.

What I've found a bit interesting particularly given all the air Munro's had recently and even through Rule's new podcast, he isn't getting a mention at all.

It could mean one of two things and I'm not sure which of the two it is.
It is fact that he was questioned by Major Crime Police on his return from Cambodia with regards to the abduction. Major Crime Police's response, from the mouth of Des Bray, was that there was "nothing known to link Munro to that matter".
Anyone who takes that statement from SAPOL to mean that he is not linked or could not be linked to the crime has misinterpreted it.

Des Bray made that statement on the basis that Munro was interviewed by David Sheridan within days of his return to Adelaide, with Munro's lawyer present. David Sheridan advised that Munro made no response to the questions put to him. end of interview.

It was the Special Crimes Investigation Branch that carried the child sex charges through to conviction.

Not more than 2 weeks prior to that interview of Munro by David Sheridan, I bumped into Des Bray in the Central Markets, spoke about another matter Bray had requested information from me on, and I then raised that I was pleased to see Munro had returned from Cambodia and been charged with child sex crimes... How true his response was, only Des could say, but he said that he didn't know who I was talking about.

2 weeks to "rule out" a person as a potential suspect in a 50 year cold case crime would seem pretty short. I suggest he certainly isn't ruled out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T
I'm interested that if this is the diary used to help convict Tony Munro of historical child sex offences against two boys in 1965 and 1966, then who put the false dates in?

Were the false dates put in to imply the contact between TM and the boys was later than 1966 so according to TM they couldn't have happened?

The content of the photos proving they were taken in 1966 and some timestamps from photos taken from slides must have been enough for the Court to believe that the diary was showing TM and the boys in 1965 and 1966 and in fact the dates were false or altered?
The diary was used by SCIB detectives in determining that TM had kept company with and groomed his victim as they pursued TM, leading to charges and conviction. The dates in the diary present it as a record of events which took place from December 12 to 24, 1966 and then in January 1967. This is incorrect, it became apparent during those court proceedings. The events took place a full year earlier, in 1965 running into 1966 (and yes, the diary puts TM back in Adelaide on Jan 26, 1966). Whether intentional or not, the diary of the adventures these boys had with TM were recorded in a diary, at TM's encouragement, which makes it look as though all were happy and joyful in late '66, after the abduction. You have to question how a child can get every detail about their trip, down to the number and type of fish they caught and rabbits they shot, and has dated photographs to paste in that diary, but they cannot put the correct year in which they took that trip... how and Why?

I know, I've been a member here for 16 years (btw one account and username in all that time and never even been given an infraction). One thing I've never done is join a forum and tell long time members that they're allowed an opinion, but thanks anyway. What I also know is that anyone in here can say anything they like, true or untrue, and that's why, when outrageous claims are being made, some of us ask for evidence. That's all I want. If it's not produced people might doubt the claims being made. Take a look at the rest of the site or any other forum and you'll find hundreds or thousands of posters asking for a source. Type 'source' or 'sauce' into the search box here - 10+ pages of each.

You might be confident but I'm not. He's not my number one suspect but he should be looked at because he says he was there and from what I can gather fits his own description of the man he says he saw with the kids. Yes I know he's told you he didn't do it but I don't believe you can provide any evidence that Smith wasn't the perp. Whether he served in Vietnam or not doesn't really matter, as I stated in an earlier post.

You state this as fact but the real fact is you don't know.

When did Smith identify Munro as the person he saw with the kids? I'm betting that wasn't in March 2015. I'm also betting it was when someone specifically showed him a picture of Munro, if he identified him at all. BTW I find it impossible to believe he didn't know about the disappearance. I was a kid living in Melbourne and knew about it on the day it happened. He was an adult and there at the scene! While we've been told he had no access to tv, radio or newspapers in the week (or whatever) before he supposedly went to Puckapunyal, he didn't see or know there was a major search going on, right where he was? He had 8 days to hear at least something!

How would it be simple for SAPOL to discount his statement? They don't know for a fact that he wasn't there, nor do I, but I don't believe he was. You're saying some of the actual, known witnesses saw or spoke with him on the day of the abduction at Glenelg and there's a record of that? Got a source for us?

Another post where you state something as fact that isn't. It's disingenuous.

Was he abused? Probably. However, have you seen his witness statement telling police the three Beaumonts were being abused in the house as well? I bet you haven't. Well, not the one the police have which we're told in here, is dated as happening 4 years before the Beaumonts were abducted.

I know who 'new witness' is because someone blurted it out in a now-edited video. What happened in his own case is irrelevant to the Beaumont case. Interesting his statement from the day and 'obviously' a police record of the abuse occurring isn't enough?

With relative ease? Didn't you just tell us there's no reasonable prospect of conviction? Doesn't sound that easy to me.

Were critical files destroyed? We don't know. If they were critical I have no doubt they'd have been acted upon at the time.

So getting back to D Smith, the part I find impossible to believe, apart from him not knowing about the missing kids at the time, is how he remembers the actual person he casually chatted with for a minute 50 years ago.

You say Max didn't make his Munro claims (on hidden camera) until a month after Smith made his statement to police but I'm sure you knew of Max's claims before then and when you interviewed Smith. You showed him a photo of Munro and he said 'Yes that's him'? Did you show him a number of photos of similar looking men at the same time and ask him to pick, like police are required to do or did you have just one person in mind?

As for him not knowing about the missing kids at the time, if it's because he had other things on his mind at the time (war) then that makes it even more unbelievable that he'd remember that discussion.

As for Max McIntyre, I believe he had dementia at the time of your interview, correct?

What are the early signs of dementia?
The early signs of dementia are very subtle and vague and may not be immediately obvious. Some common symptoms may include:

Progressive and frequent memory loss
Confusion
Personality change
Apathy and withdrawal
Loss of ability to perform everyday tasks.

Did Max have dementia in 2009 when he wrote to cops?.. or was his dementia only short lived, a couple of weeks from April 4 2015 to when his son Danny happily made three of us cups of coffee and observed the interview, including Max's granting of permission to record (but not film) that interview. You'll note, there is no filming of that interview, just a recording as per Max's request (and also as Danny didn't give his permission to be recorded - hence he didn't talk!) No mention of dementia... no message from daughter Simone 50m away in the next house that her father had dementia. Surely this dementia had "cleared up" when those children had Max change his will, or did it only go away later that year when Max invited me to his hospital bed and have the Dr explain his health condition to me?

Admin notice

Any BigFooty user who purports to be / is involved in court proceedings or the investigation of this criminal matter either as victim or witness will be encouraged to disengage on the basis of maintaining individual privacy without prejudice to any legal action in progress.

If you are a victim of crime and need professional support please contact the relevant agency in your state.

good that this thread has resumed, there is still so much to discuss and analyse, both old information and new

a few questions to consider

if people can agree that arna did indeed make it known to nancy beaumont that jane had "a boyfriend" at the beach, who was this person, was it an older man or a boy closer to, or of, jane's age, if we were to assume jane liked this person then how often did she go to the beach throughout those summer holidays, was there any particular day of the week or time that she went, did she always take her siblings with her, were her parents ever with her

a few questions to consider

if people can agree that arna did indeed make it known to nancy beaumont that jane had "a boyfriend" at the beach, who was this person, was it an older man or a boy closer to, or of, jane's age, if we were to assume jane liked this person then how often did she go to the beach throughout those summer holidays, was there any particular day of the week or time that she went, did she always take her siblings with her, were her parents ever with her

I just read this so can provide something. Jim Beaumont was on holidays, he'd spent nearly every day with them at Glenelg beach up until the Tuesday when he had to go back to work which was the day before they vanished. He dropped them off at the beach on the Tuesday morning and spent half an hour watching over them, then he left and they caught the 2.00pm bus home.

Stumbled over a piece of information I've never seen before.

Ms Daphne Gregory reported seeing Jane, Arnna and Grant Beaumont with a man on Australia Day. She said he was in his mid-thirties, with light-brown hair which was neatly parted and brushed. She went on to say that he walked with his arms bowed like an ape. This description was entitled in news articles as, “The Man with the Crazy Walk.” - Stephen Karadjis

Stumbled over a piece of information I've never seen before.

Ms Daphne Gregory reported seeing Jane, Arnna and Grant Beaumont with a man on Australia Day. She said he was in his mid-thirties, with light-brown hair which was neatly parted and brushed. She went on to say that he walked with his arms bowed like an ape. This description was entitled in news articles as, “The Man with the Crazy Walk.” - Stephen Karadjis
does it say where she was, precisely, when she saw this

The spot was described as 'a quiet corner of the foreshore, hidden by the sailing club and the sideshows' to the north-east. - Searching For The Beaumont Children

View attachment 872671
the two benches in the top photo are facing north, the bench/benches in the bottom photo face west, so its important to determine which witnesses were sitting on which benches as to what they couldve seen, id say the people on the north-facing benches woudlve been able to easily see the man heading for the changerooms opposite, but - only someone sitting in the west-facing bench/s couldve been able to see, and continue to watch, the man/a man leaving the reserve with the children and disappearing out of sight behind the glenelg hotel, sorry as this is a no comment thread, but this does seem important

Remove this Banner Ad

Back