The Best 3 Albums In a Row from a Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Bon Jovi for mine
Slippery When Wet - New Jersey - Keep The Faith
First two peaked at #1 in the charts, Keep The Faith #5
Wall to wall hits off each album. All loaded with hidden gems as well.

Beatles
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt Peppers
My choice too. The White Album just has far too much s**t on it to be included, IMO.

I wonder how much the long lead time in writing and releasing a modern album comes into this? The Beatles effectively did one a year for the entirety of their career; the Stones managed their golden four in five years. Nowadays, albums take four years to write and produce; the ability to strike while the iron is hot seems to have been lost.

My choice too. The White Album just has far too much s**t on it to be included, IMO.

I wonder how much the long lead time in writing and releasing a modern album comes into this? The Beatles effectively did one a year for the entirety of their career; the Stones managed their golden four in five years. Nowadays, albums take four years to write and produce; the ability to strike while the iron is hot seems to have been lost.
In the 60's and 70's record companies wanted a single every three or four months and an album every 8 - 10 months. Creedence for example released 7 studio albums and 10 singles (mostly double A sides ) in less than four years recording existence from 1968 to 1972.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scary part was that Sgt Peppers came out in the first part of the year and Magical Mystery Tour later the same year - MMT is one of the most underrated music releases ever, but seems to be overlooked as it was initially more like an EP, and then repackaged with the non-album singles.

I cannot agree with the White Album comments above, by far their most complex release, and there is more gold on it than most artist's entire careers.

Like most album lists and debates, there have been some magnificent releases over history, but no matter how much I explore, I cannot find anything that comes close to the body of work that is The Beatles.

For this exercise, I have an 8 "album" streak that I doubt will ever be matched:
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
St Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles (White Album)
Abbey Road
Let It Be

Let It Be is probably the weakest, mainly due to the production as there are some quality tracks in there, the "Let It Be Naked" release really brought this to my attention.

Probably some debate around the order for Abbey Road/Let It Be. Abbey Road was recorded last, but Let It Be released last., If not for Beatles for Sale, I would have also included A Hard Day's Night.

I cannot agree with the White Album comments above, by far their most complex release, and there is more gold on it than most artist's entire careers.
I agree with that. It's my favourite Beatles album. Just ahead of Revolver and Rubber Soul.

Like most album lists and debates, there have been some magnificent releases over history, but no matter how much I explore, I cannot find anything that comes close to the body of work that is The Beatles.
Each to our own. I really like The Beatles, but I like several of their contemporaries considerably more.

There's a lot of brilliance on it, but I can't make a case for any album that includes Ob-La-Di, Bungalow Bill, Don't Pass Me By, Revolution #9, either of the Honey Pies... etc, to be quite in the same conversation as the others.

Mastodon: Leviathan, Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye.

Not a band, but all of Aesop Rocks discography could apply to this.

0190295847876-Jethro-Tull-SFTW-3D-Medium.jpg

images

81DlI1cMLzL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Here are mine – most of them won’t be known to you:
  • Laura Nyro – Eli and the Thirteenth Confession, New York Tendaberry, Christmas and the Beads of Sweat, Gonna Take a Miracle
  • Roxy Music – Stranded, Country Life, Siren
  • Renaissance – Prologue, Ashes Are Burning, Turn of the Cards
  • Joni Mitchell – The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira, Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter
  • Sky Cries Mary – A Return to the Inner Experience, This Timeless Turning, Moonbathing on Sleeping Leaves
  • Godspeed You Black Emperor – F#@#, Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
  • Joanna Newsom – The Milk-Eyed Mender, Ys, Have One on Me, Divers

Tool - Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus

Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac

RATM - Self-Titled, Evil Empire, Battle of LA

Black Sabbath - any 3 from Self-Titled, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Volume 4, Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion 1 & 2

Led Zep - any 3 from 1-4, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti

Jimi Hendrix - any 3 of Are You Experienced, Axis Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland and Band of Gypsies

Pink Floyd - any 3 from Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics, Dopethrone, Let Us Prey

Boris - 3 of Flood, Heavy Rocks, Akuma no Uta, Feedbacker

Offspring - Self-Titled, Ignition, Smash

Pantera - 3 of Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven, Great Southern Trendkill

Tom Waits - Mule Variations, Blood Money, Alice

The Doors - any 3 from Self-Titled, Strange Days, Waiting For the Sun, Soft Parade, Morrison Hotel & LA woman

Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace, Cruelty and the Beast, Midian

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral, The Fragile

I got a feeling I'll add Kendrick Lamar to that list once I give To Pimp A Butterfly and DAMN. a better listen. Currently got good kid maad city playing whenever possible and I know the main tracks off his other 2 albums.

I do like plenty of rap/hip hop but finding artists with 3 great consecutive albums is tricky

Just my opinion, but anyone who claims Sgt.Pepper's as brilliant needs to listen to it today. In full. One of the most overrated albums ever.

Gotta disagree, I'm not even much of a Beatles mark but Sgt Peppers is a pretty great album. Has a couple of weak points but overall it holds up. White Album too.

me against the world
all eyez on me
7 day theory

These were the 3 I was thinking of including rap wise but I haven't given Me Against The World enough of a listen. I love his debut album 2Pacalypse Now as well but Strictly for My N.I.G.G.A.Z. I've only really listened to a handful of tracks.

The Makaveli album is brilliant from start to finish, one of my favourite albums (not just rap albums)

Also Eminem but I find the Eminem Show has too many weak tracks, SSLP and MMLP are great though.

Gotta disagree, I'm not even much of a Beatles mark but Sgt Peppers is a pretty great album. Has a couple of weak points but overall it holds up. White Album too.

Basically my view. Just super solid and even the bottom few tracks are unskippable.

That being said, I find Abbey Road somewhat overrated and has never left a huge impression on me. The very best songs (Because, Something) are incredible though.

Revolver and Rubber Soul are my favourite Beatles LP’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back